Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 89

Thread: Rabbit not eating post op - any suggestions?

  1. #1
    Young Bun dex179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    73

    Default Rabbit not eating post op - any suggestions?

    Hi all

    My rabbit dexter came home yesterday following the draining of a tooth abscess. I've been having to feed him roughly 10ml of critical care every 4 hours (so 50ml per day roughly).

    He still hasn't eaten anything by himself, but will eat banana and his dried papaya treats. I've put pellets in front of him and fresh greens but he won't eat it.

    Are there any suggestions on what I can feed him to encourage him to eat by himself? Looks like he's only going for things that are either very sweet or very soft.

    At the moment he is on antibiotics (denopecillan), metacam an metroclopramide (I give him that 3 times a day).

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    15,664

    Default

    Poor Dexter Its early days so hopefully he'll pick up over the next few days. I'd try & tempt him with dandelions, brambles, fresh grass, herbs (& keep up with the cc til he's eating normally - though he may accept moistened nuggets from a saucer)

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    15,664

    Default

    Just checking his antibiotics are injected. Its important to check fur for any leakages & clean thoroughly as its really toxic if ingested - apologies as I expect you know

  4. #4
    Young Bun dex179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Just checking his antibiotics are injected. Its important to check fur for any leakages & clean thoroughly as its really toxic if ingested - apologies as I expect you know
    Yes his antibiotics are injected (I had no idea rabbits can't take it orally). The vets have trusted me to do it at home but since I've taken him home Thursday I've been back to vets Friday and today for them to help with the injections as I just can't do it right! Going to try again tomorrow as vet visits stress Dex out, and I can't keep wasting the injections they give me as they're charging me over 7 a pop!

    Joey&boo - will try out the moistened pellets. Thanks

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    15,664

    Default

    this is a tediously long thread about my bunny Boo. The reason I'm linking it is because I was struggling with injecting her & received good support & advice here. Skip to post 97 (I think - thereabouts)

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...-thread/page11

  6. #6
    Alpha Buck jewaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    kent,wash.usa
    Posts
    757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dex179 View Post
    Hi all

    My rabbit dexter came home yesterday following the draining of a tooth abscess. I've been having to feed him roughly 10ml of critical care every 4 hours (so 50ml per day roughly).

    He still hasn't eaten anything by himself, but will eat banana and his dried papaya treats. I've put pellets in front of him and fresh greens but he won't eat it.

    Are there any suggestions on what I can feed him to encourage him to eat by himself? Looks like he's only going for things that are either very sweet or very soft.

    At the moment he is on antibiotics (denopecillan), metacam an metroclopramide (I give him that 3 times a day).

    Thanks for your help!
    dear dex179,-post op-? facial abcesses/are visible,and can be dealt with,post draining it will require flushing with betadine,as it heals.-eating is by syringe with critical care.-normal eating will not resume for a couple days-providing the mouth has improved.-the antibiotic mentioned[denopecillian]-check the spelling,-penicillin G-is the only penicillin suitable for rabbits.-metacam is for inflammation/pain-reglyn-[metroclopamide]-makes the gi tract contract to make poops,-so monitor the poops closely.-when syringe feeding always focus on the inside cheek area,opposite the surgery..the critical care has probotics in it and mixed with water shall keep dexter from becoming dehydrated-watch the pee,s.-.I generally keep a running log of all meds,procedure/notes.--be careful to not overmedicate,-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

  7. #7
    Young Bun dex179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jewaller View Post
    dear dex179,-post op-? facial abcesses/are visible,and can be dealt with,post draining it will require flushing with betadine,as it heals.-eating is by syringe with critical care.-normal eating will not resume for a couple days-providing the mouth has improved.-the antibiotic mentioned[denopecillian]-check the spelling,-penicillin G-is the only penicillin suitable for rabbits.-metacam is for inflammation/pain-reglyn-[metroclopamide]-makes the gi tract contract to make poops,-so monitor the poops closely.-when syringe feeding always focus on the inside cheek area,opposite the surgery..the critical care has probotics in it and mixed with water shall keep dexter from becoming dehydrated-watch the pee,s.-.I generally keep a running log of all meds,procedure/notes.--be careful to not overmedicate,-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa
    Thanks, it's been 2.5 days now and still not feeding by himself. I have a followup appointment on Monday morning so can discuss with vet. And I'm pretty much going to vets everyday for his injections so I get some unofficial consults.

    The question I have is more - what can I do to help encourage my rabbit to eat?

  8. #8
    Young Bun dex179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Poor Dexter Its early days so hopefully he'll pick up over the next few days. I'd try & tempt him with dandelions, brambles, fresh grass, herbs (& keep up with the cc til he's eating normally - though he may accept moistened nuggets from a saucer)
    Tried moistening the pellets...and it worked! Don't know why I didn't do that in the first place....

    Now need to see how much he eats before deciding whether he needs another 10ml shot of critical care (which he absolutely hates, even mixing in baby food etc)

    Thanks for your help!

  9. #9
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,263

    Default

    Sending you and Dex some positive vibes for a quick recovery. It is great he is trying to eat normally. If he eats enough on his own to have poo that is close to normal, I would not stress him giving syringe feeds of CC.
    If his poo becomes small, very hard, or misshapen I would continue some CC .

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,937

    Default

    What dose of Metacam is he on and how often are you giving it ? Rabbits metabolise meloxicam (Metacam) a lot faster than other species and some Vets under-dose when prescribing it, thus the Rabbit does not have adequate analgesic cover.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...cus-meloxicam/

    http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00C.../Meloxicam.htm


    It may also be necessary to add an another analgesic such as Tramadol if Metacam alone is not enough to give adequate pain control. Most Rabbit Savvy Vets also now prescribe dosing every 12 hours rather than every 24 hours.

    http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medic...analgesics.htm

    Have you tried making a 'mash' out of Dexter's usual pellets. Soak them in boiled water-mash them up and allow to cool. He may eat them like that. You could add a bit of vegetable puree baby food

    Fresh herbs often tempt an anorexic Rabbit to eat- especially Coriander, Methi (Fenugreek) and Basil.

    I would avoid feeding him banana as whilst he is on Depocillin foods high in sugar are best avoided.

    Is Dexter's poo output OK ? No signs of very soft fecal poo and/or diarrhoea ?

    I hope that Dexter feels better soon



    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •