Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding our Bunnies through this Corona Crisis

Wise Old Thumper

Tonibun, if you can get any sort of green leafy veg from your local shop, then I'd get that. I'd also encourage the weeds to grow in your garden. It probably won't be enough for 37 rabbits, but it will supplement anything you have to buy.

Re compost, as I think I said a few weeks ago, I feel guilty that I buy peat-based compost. So for sowing seeds, I now always use old compost, which has been re-used time and time again. I've often read that this encourages disease, but I've never experienced that. For potting on, as that requires fertiliser, I either use new compost or old compost with seaweed fertiliser. Obviously also for tomatoes they get their own fertiliser each week once they are producing fruit.

Is there no potting compost left in garden centres?

ETA For potting on it's also fine to use garden soil, with or without bunny poop
    Last edited by Omi; 29-03-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I love the way you specify poop from white buns. Atty splats not good enough for growing your veggies Whenever I say I put bunny poo on a plant Bob always wants affirmation I've not used Rudey's
    Yea Atticus and Clementines poop don't make the cut unfortunately

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Tonibun, if you can get any sort of green leafy veg from your local shop, then I'd get that. I'd also encourage the weeds to grow in your garden. It probably won't be enough for 37 rabbits, but it will supplement anything you have to buy.

Re compost, as I think I said a few weeks ago, I feel guilty that I buy peat-based compost. So for sowing seeds, I now always use old compost, which has been re-used time and time again. I've often read that this encourages disease, but I've never experienced that. For potting on, as that requires fertiliser, I either use new compost or old compost with seaweed fertiliser. Obviously also for tomatoes they get their own fertiliser each week once they are producing fruit.

Is there no potting compost left in garden centres?

ETA For potting on it's also fine to use garden soil, with or without bunny poop
    My experience locally is that they aren't open. I'd normally go to B&M in town but as they sell food and loo roll the queues are horrendous..and I'm avoiding busy locations. Also, they only had the one bag of ericaceous compost when I went last week. I am not optimistic (and also impatient).

I have just, after a lot of Googling, managed to get an order of seed compost from Homebase. None of the rich compost was showing as in stock but I can cope with the one mega bag that I have for now. I just really needed seed/cutting compost. I had to pay 6 delivery which normally really stings but it's better than venturing out at the moment.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Mama Doe

Wickes are doing deliveries and they stock some garden supplies. Also look at the Range and supermarkets (Lidl, Aldi, etc) which may soon stock bags of compost.
    If you have to reuse compost, I would use 'fresh' for seeds / first potting on (to minimise the disease risk for the most vulnerable plants), and any old stuff for more established plants. You can easily mix in extra nutrients to make it suitable for flowering / fruiting plants. Seed compost is lower in nutrients anyway.

Wise Old Thumper

I rang PAH earlier expecting them to say they had run out of pellets but they said they had 10 kg bags but you can only have 2! So, should I go and get 2 bags? They could have to close due to staff shortage in the near future, I hope not of course.

I've got plenty of nuggets, can't help anyone out though, as haven't got a post office now, they closed it on Saturday
    I'm still managing to get bags of herbs from Aldi, but before we went into lockdown, I bought loads of them, and had a go at drying them, worked a treat so got a big box full now on standby.

That's a lovely offer Craig xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Pets mum View Post
    I've got plenty of nuggets, can't help anyone out though, as haven't got a post office now, they closed it on Saturday
    I'm still managing to get bags of herbs from Aldi, but before we went into lockdown, I bought loads of them, and had a go at drying them, worked a treat so got a big box full now on standby.

That's a lovely offer Craig xx
    Ooooo how'd you dry them?

Nothing fancy Graciee, I just lay them on baking parchment on baking trays, stick them in the oven on 150 fan for about 15-20 mins, then switch off but leave them in there for a few hours to dry. They are all crispy then, and I've been putting them in empty cereal boxes. Treacle approves, and I've put a few sprigs in my homemade soup too.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Pets mum View Post
    Nothing fancy Graciee, I just lay them on baking parchment on baking trays, stick them in the oven on 150 fan for about 15-20 mins, then switch off but leave them in there for a few hours to dry. They are all crispy then, and I've been putting them in empty cereal boxes. Treacle approves, and I've put a few sprigs in my homemade soup too.
    Ooo you think it would work for dill? The white buns are dill crazy, if they don't get a packet a day they get so upset so drying it would be good

The shops do seem to be much better stocked today. I am shopping for us, my elderly parents and OH's mum. I got everything on my list and it wasnt too bad. Due to shopping for that many I had quite a lot on my list too. There seemed to be lots of fresh veggies about. Maybe Tonibun the shops are getting better stocked near you too.

Pets Mum - I am going to have a go at drying herbs etc thank you.