Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Feeding our Bunnies through this Corona Crisis

  1. #1
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    17,972

    Default Feeding our Bunnies through this Corona Crisis

    I have about 3 weeks of Rabbit Nuggets left and looking on PAH website, they are out of stock at the moment. So I am getting slightly worried as to whether I will be able to buy their normal food or have to get something else. I don't really want to change the pellets as they seem good and not quite as expensive as SS or Excel but dearer than some of the other foods. We get really good hay and I have a big bag of Grasstistic. Their staple veg is Spring Greens but I have to drive 12 miles to get that and I am possibly better off staying home and using the local shop. I can't forage for 37 rabbits. I used to bring home bags of long beautiful grass but I can't do this anymore. So I thought we could give one another ideas to help our bunnies through this time.

  2. #2

    Default

    I am in a similar situation though have more choices than yourself. I'm okay for pellets but a bit scuppered for both supermarket greens and foraging.

    I have bought loads of seeds and some mini greenhouses but I'm struggling to get potting compost to complete the plan.

    I'm also worried about not being able to get VHD2 vaccines done so I'm planning on saving a bale of hay or two back for the bunnies I couldn't get vaccinated (the idea being that new season hay is more likely to have VHD2 than last years hay in which the virus will have died off). Then only feed them herbs/kale that have been grown inside the greenhouse/under netting with no risk of bird droppings etc.

    The grow-your-own is a major undertaking though.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

  3. #3
    Forum Buddy Craig 1965's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    Ok- if anyone is struggling with nuggets in any way, please please drop me a pm.
    I work at a pet food distributor and can (for the moment) get hold of nuggets and stuff. We sell excel nuggets - indoor rabbit range, light and normal, guinea pig range and also to former Russel rabbit brand.
    I’m on thurlough leave so I’ve got lots of time on my hands and as I’m doing essential shopping anyway, I can swing past and get anything you need as long as we stock it.
    Can’t promise some of the more specialised stuff but I’ll help where I can so just pm me if I can help.
    Craig x
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    15,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    I am in a similar situation though have more choices than yourself. I'm okay for pellets but a bit scuppered for both supermarket greens and foraging.

    I have bought loads of seeds and some mini greenhouses but I'm struggling to get potting compost to complete the plan.

    I'm also worried about not being able to get VHD2 vaccines done so I'm planning on saving a bale of hay or two back for the bunnies I couldn't get vaccinated (the idea being that new season hay is more likely to have VHD2 than last years hay in which the virus will have died off). Then only feed them herbs/kale that have been grown inside the greenhouse/under netting with no risk of bird droppings etc.

    The grow-your-own is a major undertaking though.
    I'm tempted to say use garden soil with crumbled bunny poo. that's what i'd do. Can't believe I've said that aloud on RU

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm tempted to say use garden soil with crumbled bunny poo. that's what i'd do. Can't believe I've said that aloud on RU
    I have done it in the past and that is Plan A at the moment. I have one precious bag of compost that I will use carefully. But, yes, the bunnies could well be earning their keep from now on!!
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

  6. #6
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    I am in a similar situation though have more choices than yourself. I'm okay for pellets but a bit scuppered for both supermarket greens and foraging.

    I have bought loads of seeds and some mini greenhouses but I'm struggling to get potting compost to complete the plan.

    I'm also worried about not being able to get VHD2 vaccines done so I'm planning on saving a bale of hay or two back for the bunnies I couldn't get vaccinated (the idea being that new season hay is more likely to have VHD2 than last years hay in which the virus will have died off). Then only feed them herbs/kale that have been grown inside the greenhouse/under netting with no risk of bird droppings etc.

    The grow-your-own is a major undertaking though.
    Have you tried amazon? I got loads delivered from them (this was a good few weeks back now tho, so Idk if everyone's panicked and bought it all up ) I normally get mine from b and q but I can't lift the huge bags atm, it's like 125L or something, so I just ordered a huge selection of different types of soil and got them delivered tbh Idk what I'ma do though going forward, I use a ridiculous amount of compost every year, and I didn't buy enough for like everything being potted on etc

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm tempted to say use garden soil with crumbled bunny poo. that's what i'd do. Can't believe I've said that aloud on RU
    We have a poop bucket! It's actually for brewing anyway we keep white bun poop in it, and I mix it in with stuff I put in the ground

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Have you tried amazon? I got loads delivered from them (this was a good few weeks back now tho, so Idk if everyone's panicked and bought it all up ) I normally get mine from b and q but I can't lift the huge bags atm, it's like 125L or something, so I just ordered a huge selection of different types of soil and got them delivered tbh Idk what I'ma do though going forward, I use a ridiculous amount of compost every year, and I didn't buy enough for like everything being potted on etc

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Cheers, I will have a look. I just assumed delivery cost would make it a no-go if not local.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

  9. #9
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Cheers, I will have a look. I just assumed delivery cost would make it a no-go if not local.
    Oh it was all prime so free delivery

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    15,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    We have a poop bucket! It's actually for brewing anyway we keep white bun poop in it, and I mix it in with stuff I put in the ground

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I love the way you specify poop from white buns. Atty splats not good enough for growing your veggies Whenever I say I put bunny poo on a plant Bob always wants affirmation I've not used Rudey's

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •