• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Paw injury

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hi everyone.

Archie and Pip got spooked by my OH tripping on a door earlier! They sprinted down the stairs and Archie must have hurt his paw. He's holding it up when he's resting, but he can put weight on it.

I can't see any blood, and I can see the dew claw and 3 toes. I know there's another one but he has such floofy feet and he won't let me near him!

I offered him some dandelion root which he ate.

Should I just leave him to rest? He has hurt his paw before but he has normally stopped holding it up by now.

X

My experience with Lopsy is this usually improves after a couple of days. If he can weight-bear then it's probably OK. Lopsy sometimes forgets which one is sore ;P Best test is to 'lead' them along the ground with something tasty, and if they're using it normally while distracted with food, then it's probably healable with rest :) Lopsy went through a spate of having an injured paw every couple of months for about a year :roll:

Hi everyone.

Archie and Pip got spooked by my OH tripping on a door earlier! They sprinted down the stairs and Archie must have hurt his paw. He's holding it up when he's resting, but he can put weight on it.

I can't see any blood, and I can see the dew claw and 3 toes. I know there's another one but he has such floofy feet and he won't let me near him!

I offered him some dandelion root which he ate.

Should I just leave him to rest? He has hurt his paw before but he has normally stopped holding it up by now.

X

Can you get OH to hold Archie whilst you have a proper look at his foot/leg/shoulder ? If you gently feel around it any bony injury may be obvious. Any toe dislocation would be almost certainly be obvious. But hopefully it's 'just' a sprain which should resolve with some Metacam (to ward off pain induced gut stasis) and rest for a couple of days.

Archie is not a pickable bun, OH is nervous of hurting him and isn't firm enough.

I've just given him some plantain and he got very excited and is gobbling it up. I had a little look whilst he was distracted. And I think a toenail is missing on the outside. I'm guessing this would make it sore?

Archie is not a pickable bun, OH is nervous of hurting him and isn't firm enough.

I've just given him some plantain and he got very excited and is gobbling it up. I had a little look whilst he was distracted. And I think a toenail is missing on the outside. I'm guessing this would make it sore?

Yes and in some cases a pulled off nail can injure the toe too x

Archie is currently bun loafing with all paws tucked away. I'll see what we can do when we both finish work. Thanks Jane.

I don’t have much to offer to help But agree with Jane.
Sending loads of vibes for Archie and hope that his paw heals quickly.

Just spoken to the vets. They are only doing emergency appointments or we can do a video appointment. Not sure how that would help, cos they'd need to feel his paw.
And I don't think it's an emergency.

So going to leave it and monitor the little poppet for now.

Will see how he is tomorrow.

I think monitoring him for a day or so is the way to go. Hopefully by tomorrow his paw will be feeling much better.

I just found his nail on the floor. It's obviously ripped out. :-(
Poor thing :( Clementine ripped a nail out once, it grew back, looking a little different at first but was all okay :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back