Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Paw injury

  1. #1

    Default Paw injury

    Hi everyone.

    Archie and Pip got spooked by my OH tripping on a door earlier! They sprinted down the stairs and Archie must have hurt his paw. He's holding it up when he's resting, but he can put weight on it.

    I can't see any blood, and I can see the dew claw and 3 toes. I know there's another one but he has such floofy feet and he won't let me near him!

    I offered him some dandelion root which he ate.

    Should I just leave him to rest? He has hurt his paw before but he has normally stopped holding it up by now.

    X

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    10,444

    Default

    My experience with Lopsy is this usually improves after a couple of days. If he can weight-bear then it's probably OK. Lopsy sometimes forgets which one is sore ;P Best test is to 'lead' them along the ground with something tasty, and if they're using it normally while distracted with food, then it's probably healable with rest Lopsy went through a spate of having an injured paw every couple of months for about a year
    The geeky one...



    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mervinius View Post
    Hi everyone.

    Archie and Pip got spooked by my OH tripping on a door earlier! They sprinted down the stairs and Archie must have hurt his paw. He's holding it up when he's resting, but he can put weight on it.

    I can't see any blood, and I can see the dew claw and 3 toes. I know there's another one but he has such floofy feet and he won't let me near him!

    I offered him some dandelion root which he ate.

    Should I just leave him to rest? He has hurt his paw before but he has normally stopped holding it up by now.

    X
    Can you get OH to hold Archie whilst you have a proper look at his foot/leg/shoulder ? If you gently feel around it any bony injury may be obvious. Any toe dislocation would be almost certainly be obvious. But hopefully it's 'just' a sprain which should resolve with some Metacam (to ward off pain induced gut stasis) and rest for a couple of days.



    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  4. #4

    Default

    Archie is not a pickable bun, OH is nervous of hurting him and isn't firm enough.

    I've just given him some plantain and he got very excited and is gobbling it up. I had a little look whilst he was distracted. And I think a toenail is missing on the outside. I'm guessing this would make it sore?

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mervinius View Post
    Archie is not a pickable bun, OH is nervous of hurting him and isn't firm enough.

    I've just given him some plantain and he got very excited and is gobbling it up. I had a little look whilst he was distracted. And I think a toenail is missing on the outside. I'm guessing this would make it sore?
    Yes and in some cases a pulled off nail can injure the toe too x



    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  6. #6

    Default

    Does the toe need checking?

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mervinius View Post
    Does the toe need checking?
    If you possibly can, yes. Maybe you could hold him whilst OH checks the toe ?



    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  8. #8

    Default

    Archie is currently bun loafing with all paws tucked away. I'll see what we can do when we both finish work. Thanks Jane.

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mervinius View Post
    Archie is currently bun loafing with all paws tucked away. I'll see what we can do when we both finish work. Thanks Jane.
    Hopefully he will be fine



    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  10. #10
    Forum Buddy Craig 1965's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    3,721

    Default

    I don’t have much to offer to help But agree with Jane.
    Sending loads of vibes for Archie and hope that his paw heals quickly.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •