• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit goes off food every few days

wabbit118

Young Bun
Hi, every 2 - 3 days my 10 year old rabbit goes of her food, refuses everything including treats, veg, grass etc. She sits doing the rabbit press ups, breathing very quickly looking sad and does the occasional squeak. This lasts 4-6 hours and then she is suddenly fine! I thought maybe she has arthritis so has had metacam every day for a few weeks but it hasn't made any difference. Anyone got any ideas?? I have not changed her diet or anything, she is in the same room of the house, no changes have happened... vets haven't really helped, they just say shes old and that I need to consider letting her go... but she's fine majority of the time! Even binkys....

She was eating, drinking and using litter tray fine up until she started the episode. I have not seen her go to the loo or her water bowl since about 2. She does moult constantly so I am wondering if she has eaten a lot of fur, its just strange that she goes like this every few days and has done for a while now. Always lasts 4-6 hours then shes fine. She does seem a bit wobbly as well and throws her legs out behind her but then sits up again and then lies down, shes really fidgety.

She was eating, drinking and using litter tray fine up until she started the episode. I have not seen her go to the loo or her water bowl since about 2. She does moult constantly so I am wondering if she has eaten a lot of fur, its just strange that she goes like this every few days and has done for a while now. Always lasts 4-6 hours then shes fine. She does seem a bit wobbly as well and throws her legs out behind her but then sits up again and then lies down, shes really fidgety.

It sounds as though she is still in pain, despite being on Metacam. Did the Vet suggest running a full blood profile, especially looking for any problems with her renal function ?

It sounds as though she is still in pain, despite being on Metacam. Did the Vet suggest running a full blood profile, especially looking for any problems with her renal function ?

I've just given her a belly massage which I think helped and got her to move around abit and shes just eaten a treat. Its just so strange!! No the vet hasn't suggested that. She checked her teeth and felt her belly, I suggested she might have arthritis and they agreed it's possible 🤷🏼*♀️

Back