• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny has a serious head injury!!!

Berre072

New Kit
Our new dog collapsed Muffin’s cage this morning, and her heavy glass water bottle came down on her head. There is a lump right over her ear, and her eye is all red. I think she had a concussion. She didn’t move for thirty minutes breathing heavily. She’s making small movements now but she is very disoriented. No head tilt so far. She drank a small bit of water when we held it up to her. What can I do for her?

Our new dog collapsed Muffin’s cage this morning, and her heavy glass water bottle came down on her head. There is a lump right over her ear, and her eye is all red. I think she had a concussion. She didn’t move for thirty minutes breathing heavily. She’s making small movements now but she is very disoriented. No head tilt so far. She drank a small bit of water when we held it up to her. What can I do for her?

You need to contact your Vet immediately. Although I can only speak for the UK Vets, most have drastically changed how they are carrying out consultations as a result of Covid 19. But they WILL see emergencies, you may need to hand Bunny over to the Vet out side of the Surgery after explaining what has happened. Please do not delay contacting your Vet, at the very least your Rabbit needs pain relief.

Thanks for the reply! I did earlier, but Muffin has a serious heart murmur which puts her at risk user stress even when she’s healthy. My vet said the combined stress may kill her if I were to take her in. Plus they’re not doing house visits due to COVID. The vet won’t prescribe pain meds without seeing her, and I don’t know how to help my baby! I would be so grateful for any more suggestions.

Thanks for the reply! I did earlier, but Muffin has a serious heart murmur which puts her at risk user stress even when she’s healthy. My vet said the combined stress may kill her if I were to take her in. Plus they’re not doing house visits due to COVID. The vet won’t prescribe pain meds without seeing her, and I don’t know how to help my baby! I would be so grateful for any more suggestions.

Your Vet is legally obliged to provide pain relief. In this current unprecedented climate (Covid 19) IMO that should be possible without seeing your Rabbit. It is something I would insist on. There is nothing you can do other than to keep your Rabbit warm and try to encourage her to eat and drink. If she is still very 'dazed' dont attempt to syringe feed her as she may aspirate the feed (choke on it).

Your Vet is legally obliged to provide pain relief. In this current unprecedented climate (Covid 19) IMO that should be possible without seeing your Rabbit. It is something I would insist on. There is nothing you can do other than to keep your Rabbit warm and try to encourage her to eat and drink. If she is still very 'dazed' dont attempt to syringe feed her as she may aspirate the feed (choke on it).

I agree with this. I work for a vets so have been reading all the latest guidance from the RCVS and BVA, and vets legally must provide emergency care, first aid, pain relief. Given the current circumstances they can prescribe this without seeing the patient. Even with a heart murmur, your rabbit needs to either see a vet or get emergency medication. I can't imagine any reputable vets not doing this for you.

That’s amazing to know! I will call a few other vets to see if they will provide pain meds. Muffin is doing a bit better now! Still not wanting to move much, but nibbling on some lettuce and hay we put next to her, drinking water, and grooming a bit. I’m starting to think she was acting dazed earlier more from shock than actual damage.

That’s amazing to know! I will call a few other vets to see if they will provide pain meds. Muffin is doing a bit better now! Still not wanting to move much, but nibbling on some lettuce and hay we put next to her, drinking water, and grooming a bit. I’m starting to think she was acting dazed earlier more from shock than actual damage.

would still ask vet for pain and anti-inflammatory meds. Glad she is less dazed. Bunnies hide their pain and lump on head and eye need time to heal.

Back