• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recent hind leg amputation

Samch12

New Kit
Hi all.
I’m new here but hoping you can help.
We have an 8yr old harlequin(Meg) who today had to have her leg amputated. Unfortunately we have an overly enthusiastic ‘big sister’ in the shape of a Rottweiler who stood on Megs leg and broke it too high up for it to be repaired.
We were given the option of PTS or amputation and selfishly couldn’t bare the thought of PTS.
She’s home now, eating like there’s no tomorrow and trying to get round. But I’m a nervous wreck - how do I get her through the next few days/weeks? I’m stressing over toileting and the fact she is urinating where she is, causing her to be wet near her wound and over her good leg. I’ve sat her with me most of tonight with a sanitary towel under her but that doesnt keep the urine from her. I’m worried about the wound becoming infected.
The vet said she had 70/30 chance of making it and she is a fiesty little madam - I want to give her the best shot available.
I would really appreciate any advice of how to keep her healthy

Thank you

Puppy pads are really useful for rabbits in situations like this. They can be used on their own, or with a towel on top, and regularly changed when soiled. You will probably find that she tends to toilet in particular areas, and you can then concentrate on keeping those areas hygienic. You will also have to keep her wound clean and dry while it heals. Your vet or vet nurses will be able to advise on this, especially on an open wound or while there are stitches. You may be able to use eg a solution of hibiscrub and gently dry around the wound with a clean towel or dab with paper towels if needed - ask the vet nurses what they advise.

It is really good that she is eating well. She will become more mobile as she gets her balance back. Long term, you will have to watch out for things like arthritis due to the change of posture, any sore spots on the remaining leg / foot as it has more wear and tear, and that her ears are kept clean as she won't be able to do it herself - the back feet are used for scratching them and she may be prone to infection if not checked regularly.

Rabbits cope really well with 3 legs. I had one with a front leg amputation. It was difficult to tell he was a tripod, and even the vet nurses didn't realise when he went for routine vaccinations as he was fluffy and black, so it wasn't obvious. He could still run upstairs etc.

Welcome to the forum. First, you were not selfish to do amputation.
I had a bunny lose the use of a hind leg , before amputations were offered as an alternative. His leg was paralyzed . He remained happy though he did not get around as well as your bunny will.
Trimming fur from areas getting urine can keep skin dry. You may be able to use a barrier cream on skin to protect from urine burn, ask vet for recommended cream. Some cannot be ingested.

Back