• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Bunny a Day to Try to Keep Covid 19 Away-U/D 28th March

Both Victoria Meldrew and Old Bill were lovely rabbits, who were lucky enough to enjoy a period of good quality life with you :love:

Ronan & Jack, just 2 out of the 15 'consequences' of putting a Buck back in with 3 Does immediately after neutering.............................. :shock:

vggVN1i.jpg

Ronan & Jack, just 2 out of the 15 'consequences' of putting a Buck back in with 3 Does immediately after neutering.............................. :shock:

vggVN1i.jpg
Awhh are they castor rexes? [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

They were. Beatrice ( their Mum) was a Black Otter and Seamus ( their Dad ) was a Caster. Bea had 4 Black Otters and 4 Casters xx
Waaaittt so the parents don't have to be the same to produce more of them? Idk why I assumed the parents would both need to be the same colour... And how comes they didn't come out a mix of both buns? That's really cool!

Obviously mine are all neutered and I don't do breeding. But if Atticus and Penelope had kits, could some of them look like her and some like him? Or could that happen but also you could get a weird mix of the two? (that'd be a hilarious mix tbf [emoji38])

Waaaittt so the parents don't have to be the same to produce more of them? Idk why I assumed the parents would both need to be the same colour... And how comes they didn't come out a mix of both buns? That's really cool!

Obviously mine are all neutered and I don't do breeding. But if Atticus and Penelope had kits, could some of them look like her and some like him? Or could that happen but also you could get a weird mix of the two? (that'd be a hilarious mix tbf [emoji38])

To get a Rex coat both Rabbits need to carry the Rex gene, so Penelope would need to carry it. Coat colour depends on Dominant and Recessive genes. For example agouti (Caster is in the agouti category) is a dominant gene and it only takes one parent to carry an agouti gene to produce agouti kits. That's about all I know !

To get a Rex coat both Rabbits need to carry the Rex gene, so Penelope would need to carry it. Coat colour depends on Dominant and Recessive genes. For example agouti (Caster is in the agouti category) is a dominant gene and it only takes one parent to carry an agouti gene to produce agouti kits. That's about all I know !

That's actually really interesting :) I don't know anything about genetics tbh

I love that it was 4 like the mum and 4 like the dad though [emoji7][emoji38]

That's actually really interesting :) I don't know anything about genetics tbh

I love that it was 4 like the mum and 4 like the dad though [emoji7][emoji38]

Initially I had to use a blob of different coloured food dye in the ears of the kits who looked identical !! Once I got to know their individual characters it was easy to tell them apart.

Initially I had to use a blob of different coloured food dye in the ears of the kits who looked identical !! Once I got to know their individual characters it was easy to tell them apart.
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Yea Atticus and Clementine looked so similar at 12 weeks old, I could tell them apart after about a week, but at vet visits we'd flip them over to check who was who, just to be sure! [emoji38] Although Atticus was declared female by 4 different vets [emoji51] I was convinced he was male though [emoji38] good job too, because otherwise I might have been in a right mess.. And then the kits might have got Clementines knee issues... I'm not sure how many rabbits I could care for having knee surgeries at the same time [emoji38][emoji38] one was enough!

Emily was one of 4 Rabbits I took in from a local person who's Rabbits had an accidental litter due to the person thinking that both of her kids Rabbits were female.

yhfAkW6.png

Emily was one of 4 Rabbits I took in from a local person who's Rabbits had an accidental litter due to the person thinking that both of her kids Rabbits were female.

yhfAkW6.png

I don't remember seeing Emily before. She was very glossy :love:

I had two netherland dwarf bunnies. The mom was orange and dad was a siamese smoke pearl. Mom gave birth to one nd chinchilla color bun and one nd black bun.
If a baby inherits a dwarf gene from both parents they do not survive.
Genetics on bunny coats and color is very complex. Multiple genes are involved,some dilute color, others determine banding in fur,fur type like jane mentioned,or pattern on coat.

Back