Thread: Canít keep water bowl clean

Default Canít keep water bowl clean

Hi all

When we got our bun I gave him a water bottle which he used fine, but I was recommended to not use bottles but instead fill up a water bowl every day.

Iíve been diligently doing this but every day I find that he has filled up the bowl with strands of hay, ripped up newspaper and so on. Iím clearing out the bowl every day but wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get my little chap to stop filling the bowl with hay and newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by joepatr View Post
    Hi all

When we got our bun I gave him a water bottle which he used fine, but I was recommended to not use bottles but instead fill up a water bowl every day.

I’ve been diligently doing this but every day I find that he has filled up the bowl with strands of hay, ripped up newspaper and so on. I’m clearing out the bowl every day but wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get my little chap to stop filling the bowl with hay and newspaper.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pet-Bowls...kAAOSwkz1eXwH6

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Possibly try only keeping his hay away from his water bowl (or at least far enough that itís harder for him to get it in his water). I donít know if youíre using hay as bedding (as well as newspaper Iím assuming), in which case this may be more difficult so Iíd possibly recommend changing to using blankets instead to provide warmth, providing your bunny isnít too much of a digger and wonít ingest the blanket - in which case donít do this as it may be dangerous. Iíd also say maybe to reassess where your bunny gets it feeding hay. The best option Iíve found is using a large sized cat litter tray and filling it half with hay and half with litter. The hay should be replenished twice a day and should amount to roughly the rabbitís body size as this is around how much they should consume per day. If you leave hay as bedding or outside of the litter tray Iíve found that it confuses the rabbit and creates bad litter habits as well as a mess. Hopefully this is useful.