Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Albino Bunny health

  1. #11
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    143,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazel Robertson View Post
    I don't think that photo link worked, so here is the URL without usuing the 'Insert image' button:

    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMbhRVs
    When zooming in on the images I can see that there is some evidence of flakey skin. It could be Cheyletiellosis (Fur mites)

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...e/fur_mite.htm

    What treatment was given last time ?


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    When zooming in on the images I can see that there is some evidence of flakey skin. It could be Cheyletiellosis (Fur mites)

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...e/fur_mite.htm

    What treatment was given last time ?
    Hi there,

    Sorry for quoting you but I don't see an option to reply and not too.

    Treated with Ivermectin, both Rabbits. I was never quite convinced it was mites, as our other rabbit is unaffected, however it could be that Bruce is more sensitive than Daisy? She is not an Albino. I checked out the link you sent, and it does look similar to our photos. I do wonder about fungal too though, after looking at the photos your link.

  3. #13
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    143,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazel Robertson View Post
    Hi there,

    Sorry for quoting you but I don't see an option to reply and not too.

    Treated with Ivermectin, both Rabbits. I was never quite convinced it was mites, as our other rabbit is unaffected, however it could be that Bruce is more sensitive than Daisy? She is not an Albino. I checked out the link you sent, and it does look similar to our photos. I do wonder about fungal too though, after looking at the photos your link.
    The only way to find out if to have the relevant diagnostic testing. As all Vets have had to drastically alter how they carry out consultations due to Covid 19 I would give your Vet a call to discuss the situation.


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

  4. #14

    Default

    I had them both at the Vet in December, and the vet didn't know, and didn't do any diagnostic testing, just treated them for mites.

    Do the mites just survive on the Rabbits themselves, or will they live in the hutch too?

    I've emailed the Vet so hopefully they will just re-prescribe.

  5. #15
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    17,729

    Default

    The rabbit carries the mite but under certain conditions, usually stress, the immune system cannot keep the mites under control. I have never had a rabbit with a fungal problem myself so can't advise. I assume their accommodation is dry and kept clean with plenty of hay for them to chew?

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    The rabbit carries the mite but under certain conditions, usually stress, the immune system cannot keep the mites under control. I have never had a rabbit with a fungal problem myself so can't advise. I assume their accommodation is dry and kept clean with plenty of hay for them to chew?
    Thank you yes, however as above, recently they have started rearranging their hay, like they don't want it in the hutch. The hutch is upstairs, the run downstairs. There is a ramp between the two, and they have started arranging the hay on this ramp, which of course will get damp. Up until recently we were putting the new hay (as bedding and for eating) in the hutch, however this has become pretty pointless. The rabbits voice their disgust if we do so - grunt a lot, then start lifting their pellet dish and chucking it around.

    I did have a theory that they were moving the hay outside as Bruce was allergic to it and therefore that is why he has a bald bum, but after changing the hay brand and the problem coming back, this seems not to be the case.

    So, I'm not sure if their behaviour is due to mites or time of year...or simply need Spring to come.

  7. #17
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    143,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazel Robertson View Post
    Thank you yes, however as above, recently they have started rearranging their hay, like they don't want it in the hutch. The hutch is upstairs, the run downstairs. There is a ramp between the two, and they have started arranging the hay on this ramp, which of course will get damp. Up until recently we were putting the new hay (as bedding and for eating) in the hutch, however this has become pretty pointless. The rabbits voice their disgust if we do so - grunt a lot, then start lifting their pellet dish and chucking it around.

    I did have a theory that they were moving the hay outside as Bruce was allergic to it and therefore that is why he has a bald bum, but after changing the hay brand and the problem coming back, this seems not to be the case.

    So, I'm not sure if their behaviour is due to mites or time of year...or simply need Spring to come.
    Are both Rabbits neutered ?


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

  8. #18
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    17,729

    Default

    Have you got a big litter tray where you can put the hay as rabbits like to sit in that while they eat and toilet? I know this possibly doesn't have anything to do with the problem but they might feel happier if they can do this. Also is your girl rabbit pulling his fur out?

  9. #19

    Default

    Hi there,

    No, as above, the female rabbit is unaffected. Their toilet is downstairs in the run, the rabbit hutch is not big enough for a litter tray. It is possible that is why they take the hay out and arrange it on the ramp though, so they can nibble when on the toilet!

  10. #20
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    143,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazel Robertson View Post
    Hi there,

    No, as above, the female rabbit is unaffected. Their toilet is downstairs in the run, the rabbit hutch is not big enough for a litter tray. It is possible that is why they take the hay out and arrange it on the ramp though, so they can nibble when on the toilet!
    Have you actually witnessed Bruce pulling out his fur ? As I asked before, is the Doe spayed ? If not then it may be that she is pulling his fur out as part of her nesting behaviour, as suggested by Tonibun x


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •