• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Albino Bunny health

Hi there, does anyone know if Albino rabbits are more sensitive/susceptible to illnesses or allergies?

I have an Albino lop. He is a big boy and quite friendly. Since December last year he seems to have suffered periodically with the loss of his fur. I took him to the vet initially and they said it might be mites, and I got medicine. There are no mites however, the house has been thoroughly cleaned out. His partner who is a light brown coloured lop does not have this problem.

I am not sure if he is bored and pulling out his fur, or whether it might be an allergy. The hay we were using was very sweet smelling (too much for me actually), so we changed it, thinking he might be allergic (he was bald underneath and on his bottom, his poor tail practically none existent :( ). It all grew back, and it seems to have started again. There is a patch on his back, and his bottom. When it first happened in December he did look like he had red irritated skin. I have not seen this this time, but its not to say its not like that.

The rabbits have been grunting more frequently and I was concerned as they have not been out much over the winter. We have taken them in the house, but its just too hot for them. They live in a 2 story hutch/run which has had a cover over it most of the winter. They eat some pellets but mostly hay, and have parsley and kale too, and other kitchen tit bits like apple peelings.

Any thoughts much appreciated, thank you :wave:

Is there any flakiness amongst his fur which would indicate Mites. Stress can sometimes bring them on. Does he get on well with the other rabbit and are they neutered? Are they both boys? Regarding your query about Red Eyed White Rabbits being prone to health problems, the answer really is No except they might have poor eyesight. White rabbits are more susceptible to getting sunburn, If you can put a photo of your rabbit on here it will help us to identify the problem.

What litter or bedding are you using? Just hay?

I have a theory, based on not a huge amount of evidence (!) that white animals tend to have more sensitive skin.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure its not mites, can't see any and both rabbits have been treated. Its a male and female, both neutered and they get on very well together, they are just under a year old.

I have been using hay, then changed brand, as described above. They started pulling all their hay out of the house into the run on the night so I switched to wood shavings on the hutch floor, which they also dragged out into the run at night. They seem to prefer no bedding, so that is what we have gone down to, and I just give them hay to eat. I did wonder if it was deliberate and it was the bedding that was causing the fur to come out/be pulled out. I tried to add a photo - but I don't appear to be getting an upload function when I click on insert image.

I wonder if it's a fungal problem. I've not heard of it in rabbits, but guinea pigs are very prone to fungal skin conditions, which can cause areas of baldness.

Was it ivermectin that he was treated with? If so, was there at least one follow up treatment? This has to be done because of the life cycle of mites. There is some info here on skin infestations https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/skin-and-fur-parasites/

Last edited:
I wonder if it's a fungal problem. I've not heard of it in rabbits, but guinea pigs are very prone to fungal skin conditions, which can cause areas of baldness.

Was it ivermectin that he was treated with? If so, was there at least ona follow up treatment? This has to be done because of the life cycle of mites. There is some info here on skin infestations https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/skin-and-fur-parasites/

Thanks, yes treated twice with Ivermectin. I don't know why I can't get photos to upload, I will need to try another browser tomorrow. Thank you for the link.

You wouldn't be able to see the mites only under a microscope. Is the white bunny (REW) the male or female? Tapatalk is apparently good to upload photos from. I think from your mobile.

Thanks for the posts. I've finally got some photos.
aHsmMbhRVs
Hope this accessible, it should be.

Bruce is lively enough and his partner Daisy is not affected. There is white flaky skin.

When zooming in on the images I can see that there is some evidence of flakey skin. It could be Cheyletiellosis (Fur mites)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

What treatment was given last time ?

Hi there,

Sorry for quoting you but I don't see an option to reply and not too.

Treated with Ivermectin, both Rabbits. I was never quite convinced it was mites, as our other rabbit is unaffected, however it could be that Bruce is more sensitive than Daisy? She is not an Albino. I checked out the link you sent, and it does look similar to our photos. I do wonder about fungal too though, after looking at the photos your link.

Hi there,

Sorry for quoting you but I don't see an option to reply and not too.

Treated with Ivermectin, both Rabbits. I was never quite convinced it was mites, as our other rabbit is unaffected, however it could be that Bruce is more sensitive than Daisy? She is not an Albino. I checked out the link you sent, and it does look similar to our photos. I do wonder about fungal too though, after looking at the photos your link.

The only way to find out if to have the relevant diagnostic testing. As all Vets have had to drastically alter how they carry out consultations due to Covid 19 I would give your Vet a call to discuss the situation.

I had them both at the Vet in December, and the vet didn't know, and didn't do any diagnostic testing, just treated them for mites.

Do the mites just survive on the Rabbits themselves, or will they live in the hutch too?

I've emailed the Vet so hopefully they will just re-prescribe.

The rabbit carries the mite but under certain conditions, usually stress, the immune system cannot keep the mites under control. I have never had a rabbit with a fungal problem myself so can't advise. I assume their accommodation is dry and kept clean with plenty of hay for them to chew?

The rabbit carries the mite but under certain conditions, usually stress, the immune system cannot keep the mites under control. I have never had a rabbit with a fungal problem myself so can't advise. I assume their accommodation is dry and kept clean with plenty of hay for them to chew?

Thank you yes, however as above, recently they have started rearranging their hay, like they don't want it in the hutch. The hutch is upstairs, the run downstairs. There is a ramp between the two, and they have started arranging the hay on this ramp, which of course will get damp. Up until recently we were putting the new hay (as bedding and for eating) in the hutch, however this has become pretty pointless. The rabbits voice their disgust if we do so - grunt a lot, then start lifting their pellet dish and chucking it around.

I did have a theory that they were moving the hay outside as Bruce was allergic to it and therefore that is why he has a bald bum, but after changing the hay brand and the problem coming back, this seems not to be the case.

So, I'm not sure if their behaviour is due to mites or time of year...or simply need Spring to come.

Thank you yes, however as above, recently they have started rearranging their hay, like they don't want it in the hutch. The hutch is upstairs, the run downstairs. There is a ramp between the two, and they have started arranging the hay on this ramp, which of course will get damp. Up until recently we were putting the new hay (as bedding and for eating) in the hutch, however this has become pretty pointless. The rabbits voice their disgust if we do so - grunt a lot, then start lifting their pellet dish and chucking it around.

I did have a theory that they were moving the hay outside as Bruce was allergic to it and therefore that is why he has a bald bum, but after changing the hay brand and the problem coming back, this seems not to be the case.

So, I'm not sure if their behaviour is due to mites or time of year...or simply need Spring to come.

Are both Rabbits neutered ?

Have you got a big litter tray where you can put the hay as rabbits like to sit in that while they eat and toilet? I know this possibly doesn't have anything to do with the problem but they might feel happier if they can do this. Also is your girl rabbit pulling his fur out?

Hi there,

No, as above, the female rabbit is unaffected. Their toilet is downstairs in the run, the rabbit hutch is not big enough for a litter tray. It is possible that is why they take the hay out and arrange it on the ramp though, so they can nibble when on the toilet!

Hi there,

No, as above, the female rabbit is unaffected. Their toilet is downstairs in the run, the rabbit hutch is not big enough for a litter tray. It is possible that is why they take the hay out and arrange it on the ramp though, so they can nibble when on the toilet!

Have you actually witnessed Bruce pulling out his fur ? As I asked before, is the Doe spayed ? If not then it may be that she is pulling his fur out as part of her nesting behaviour, as suggested by Tonibun x

Back