Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Albino Bunny health

Default Albino Bunny health

Hi there, does anyone know if Albino rabbits are more sensitive/susceptible to illnesses or allergies?

I have an Albino lop. He is a big boy and quite friendly. Since December last year he seems to have suffered periodically with the loss of his fur. I took him to the vet initially and they said it might be mites, and I got medicine. There are no mites however, the house has been thoroughly cleaned out. His partner who is a light brown coloured lop does not have this problem.

I am not sure if he is bored and pulling out his fur, or whether it might be an allergy. The hay we were using was very sweet smelling (too much for me actually), so we changed it, thinking he might be allergic (he was bald underneath and on his bottom, his poor tail practically none existent ). It all grew back, and it seems to have started again. There is a patch on his back, and his bottom. When it first happened in December he did look like he had red irritated skin. I have not seen this this time, but its not to say its not like that.

The rabbits have been grunting more frequently and I was concerned as they have not been out much over the winter. We have taken them in the house, but its just too hot for them. They live in a 2 story hutch/run which has had a cover over it most of the winter. They eat some pellets but mostly hay, and have parsley and kale too, and other kitchen tit bits like apple peelings.

Any thoughts much appreciated, thank you

Wise Old Thumper

Is there any flakiness amongst his fur which would indicate Mites. Stress can sometimes bring them on. Does he get on well with the other rabbit and are they neutered? Are they both boys? Regarding your query about Red Eyed White Rabbits being prone to health problems, the answer really is No except they might have poor eyesight. White rabbits are more susceptible to getting sunburn, If you can put a photo of your rabbit on here it will help us to identify the problem.

What litter or bedding are you using? Just hay?

I have a theory, based on not a huge amount of evidence (!) that white animals tend to have more sensitive skin.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

Thanks. I'm pretty sure its not mites, can't see any and both rabbits have been treated. Its a male and female, both neutered and they get on very well together, they are just under a year old.

I have been using hay, then changed brand, as described above. They started pulling all their hay out of the house into the run on the night so I switched to wood shavings on the hutch floor, which they also dragged out into the run at night. They seem to prefer no bedding, so that is what we have gone down to, and I just give them hay to eat. I did wonder if it was deliberate and it was the bedding that was causing the fur to come out/be pulled out. I tried to add a photo - but I don't appear to be getting an upload function when I click on insert image.

I wonder if it's a fungal problem. I've not heard of it in rabbits, but guinea pigs are very prone to fungal skin conditions, which can cause areas of baldness.

Was it ivermectin that he was treated with? If so, was there at least one follow up treatment? This has to be done because of the life cycle of mites. There is some info here on skin infestations https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...fur-parasites/
    Last edited by SarahP; 23-03-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    I wonder if it's a fungal problem. I've not heard of it in rabbits, but guinea pigs are very prone to fungal skin conditions, which can cause areas of baldness.

Was it ivermectin that he was treated with? If so, was there at least ona follow up treatment? This has to be done because of the life cycle of mites. There is some info here on skin infestations https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...fur-parasites/
    Thanks, yes treated twice with Ivermectin. I don't know why I can't get photos to upload, I will need to try another browser tomorrow. Thank you for the link.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Wise Old Thumper

You wouldn't be able to see the mites only under a microscope. Is the white bunny (REW) the male or female? Tapatalk is apparently good to upload photos from. I think from your mobile.

Thanks for the posts. I've finally got some photos. Hope this accessible, it should be.

Bruce is lively enough and his partner Daisy is not affected. There is white flaky skin.

I don't think that photo link worked, so here is the URL without usuing the 'Insert image' button:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMbhRVs