Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Clementine, splats

Okay so Idk if anyone can make sense of this but, when she gets no veg, there's no splats, but if she has even a tiny amount of veg, there's a splat the next day.. But she's been eating the same veg her entire life and never had any problems, this just came out of nowhere? Other than this, she's eating hay like normal. I'm very worried about her not getting veg, normally I wouldn't be, but she needs the water content in it

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Poor girlie. It doen't sound like the veg are doing her any favours since the splats will be using up the moisture. Does she not drink at all or drink too little/ Whats her poo like when she is on just hay - is it big enough, round enough? Can she tolerate herbs?

i had a bun once who could only tolerate hay & herbs, FHB thought he had a bunny version of irritable bowel syndrome. he acquired it at about 5 or 6 years

its such a stressful time to have an ill bun xx

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Poor girlie. It doen't sound like the veg are doing her any favours since the splats will be using up the moisture. Does she not drink at all or drink too little/ Whats her poo like when she is on just hay - is it big enough, round enough? Can she tolerate herbs?

i had a bun once who could only tolerate hay & herbs, FHB thought he had a bunny version of irritable bowel syndrome. he acquired it at about 5 or 6 years

its such a stressful time to have an ill bun xx
    Yea exactly she drinks a teeny amount, like an extremely small amount unfortunately I'd guess less than 100ml in 24 hours. Her poop is small and dark atm. I could try just herbs she gets a mix every night normally, so could try just the herbs and see if it's different.

Interesting it was developed later in life! Maybe that's what's happened here, who knows. Yea exactly, want nothing more than see my Vet rn xx

I’m not sure what the sudden change would be, but one of mine doesn’t tolerate any veg either. He is better with herbs and forage, though still not completely ‘splat free’. Not suitable for your bun and I wouldn’t recommend it anyway, but oddly enough he came in on Wagg pellets. I’ve tried to move him onto every decent pellet under the sun and he just cannot tolerate anything but Wagg. For the amount they have I don’t mind him being on them, but they are certainly a strange species to suss out.

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Yea exactly she drinks a teeny amount, like an extremely small amount unfortunately I'd guess less than 100ml in 24 hours. Her poop is small and dark atm. I could try just herbs she gets a mix every night normally, so could try just the herbs and see if it's different.

Interesting it was developed later in life! Maybe that's what's happened here, who knows. Yea exactly, want nothing more than see my Vet rn xx

Could you narrow it down to a specific type of veggies (leafy greens?) or type (lettuce or iceburg?). ?
    Stress can change pH which may change type of bacteria in gi. I wonder if it could change what foods she can tolerate?
    Veggies may be speeding up her gi system causing poo to pass before it is fully formed.
    Could you get sample of poo tested?
    Gracie, you have so much happening in your life atm. I hope Clems splats are temporary.
    Last edited by bunny momma; 30-03-2020 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBee View Post
    I’m not sure what the sudden change would be, but one of mine doesn’t tolerate any veg either. He is better with herbs and forage, though still not completely ‘splat free’. Not suitable for your bun and I wouldn’t recommend it anyway, but oddly enough he came in on Wagg pellets. I’ve tried to move him onto every decent pellet under the sun and he just cannot tolerate anything but Wagg. For the amount they have I don’t mind him being on them, but they are certainly a strange species to suss out.
    Yea me either it's really weird how it's just changed suddenly

With buns with gut issues sometimes you just have to go with it, sounds like the wagg works for him definitely a weird species!

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Could you narrow it down to a specific type of veggies (leafy greens?) or type (lettuce or iceburg?). ?
    Stress can change pH which may change type of bacteria in gi. I wonder if it could change what foods she can tolerate?
    Veggies may be speeding up her gi system causing poo to pass before it is fully formed.
    Could you get sample of poo tested?
    Gracie, you have so much happening in your life atm. I hope Clems splats are temporary.
    Yea sorry, she was getting a mix of kale, broccoli, watercress, coriander, dill, basil, mint and some parsley every night.

That's interesting, I wonder if she's stressed, or picking up on stress maybe.. She's a very sensitive rabbit tbh.

Idk if I can tbh, normally I'd have been to the vets already and had all the tests possible done to try figure it out. But not easy atm. Might not be able to see an exotics vet either. Yea me too

Wise Old Thumper

Is she producing the splats regularly at the moment? Is she having the mix you described currently?

What I would do is to stop the mix and let her get to a state with no splats for a couple of days. Then I would introduce just one item of the mix for a few days and monitor the result. If no splats, then it would appear she can tolerate that herb/veg. I would start with something like Dill. If no splats, then add one other herb and do the same again. Then gradually re-introduce one additonal item and monitoring the result. I would leave the Broccoli and Kale to the last as these would be the prime suspects

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Is she producing the splats regularly at the moment? Is she having the mix you described currently?

What I would do is to stop the mix and let her get to a state with no splats for a couple of days. Then I would introduce just one item of the mix for a few days and monitor the result. If no splats, then it would appear she can tolerate that herb/veg. I would start with something like Dill. If no splats, then add one other herb and do the same again. Then gradually re-introduce one additonal item and monitoring the result. I would leave the Broccoli and Kale to the last as these would be the prime suspects
    That's exactly what we have done, no veg, and we've got no splats now, but I tried a little bit of kale and we got splats again the next day, she's not had any now for a few days. So tonight I'll give her a tiny bit of dill like you suggest and hope

Its just so weird, she's been eating all that stuff for well.. since last summer, every night, but she had it all before then regularly too, it just became a part of what helped with the sludge last summer so it's been literally every night since then. I feel like something must have changed but Idk what!