• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clementine, splats

Poor girl :cry:
Yea :( I was thinking of putting her outside in the run, to distract her.. But tbh I think taking her away from the nest would be too distressing atm :( managed to get her to eat some dill a little bit ago, but when she's nesting she doesn't really look after herself, she's just so intent on making the nest :( I think I'll put her nest box in for her to build in, in a bit, sometimes it calms her down.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

And she's been nesting since this morning, pretty hardcore nesting too :( wouldn't even take a treat, she wanted to, but wouldn't drop the hay in her mouth, she took the treat with the hay in her mouth still, but then couldn't eat it, as again, wouldn't let go of the hay :(

So much stress for her with moulting and nesting.
Sending more vibes.

Hope things have calmed down a bit for Clementine by now xx
Thanks Jane. She's more chill this morning, poops are smaller and dark, I've not seen anymore splats, I hope the nesting doesn't pick up again today xx

Okay so Idk if anyone can make sense of this but, when she gets no veg, there's no splats, but if she has even a tiny amount of veg, there's a splat the next day.. But she's been eating the same veg her entire life and never had any problems, this just came out of nowhere? Other than this, she's eating hay like normal. I'm very worried about her not getting veg, normally I wouldn't be, but she needs the water content in it :(

Poor girlie. It doen't sound like the veg are doing her any favours since the splats will be using up the moisture. Does she not drink at all or drink too little/ Whats her poo like when she is on just hay - is it big enough, round enough? Can she tolerate herbs?

i had a bun once who could only tolerate hay & herbs, FHB thought he had a bunny version of irritable bowel syndrome. he acquired it at about 5 or 6 years

its such a stressful time to have an ill bun :( xx

Poor girlie. It doen't sound like the veg are doing her any favours since the splats will be using up the moisture. Does she not drink at all or drink too little/ Whats her poo like when she is on just hay - is it big enough, round enough? Can she tolerate herbs?

i had a bun once who could only tolerate hay & herbs, FHB thought he had a bunny version of irritable bowel syndrome. he acquired it at about 5 or 6 years

its such a stressful time to have an ill bun :( xx

Yea exactly :( she drinks a teeny amount, like an extremely small amount unfortunately I'd guess less than 100ml in 24 hours. Her poop is small and dark atm. I could try just herbs she gets a mix every night normally, so could try just the herbs and see if it's different.

Interesting it was developed later in life! Maybe that's what's happened here, who knows. Yea exactly, want nothing more than see my Vet rn xx

I’m not sure what the sudden change would be, but one of mine doesn’t tolerate any veg either. He is better with herbs and forage, though still not completely ‘splat free’. Not suitable for your bun and I wouldn’t recommend it anyway, but oddly enough he came in on Wagg pellets. I’ve tried to move him onto every decent pellet under the sun and he just cannot tolerate anything but Wagg. For the amount they have I don’t mind him being on them, but they are certainly a strange species to suss out.

Yea exactly :( she drinks a teeny amount, like an extremely small amount unfortunately I'd guess less than 100ml in 24 hours. Her poop is small and dark atm. I could try just herbs she gets a mix every night normally, so could try just the herbs and see if it's different.

Interesting it was developed later in life! Maybe that's what's happened here, who knows. Yea exactly, want nothing more than see my Vet rn xx

Could you narrow it down to a specific type of veggies (leafy greens?) or type (lettuce or iceburg?). ?
Stress can change pH which may change type of bacteria in gi. I wonder if it could change what foods she can tolerate?
Veggies may be speeding up her gi system causing poo to pass before it is fully formed.
Could you get sample of poo tested?
Gracie, you have so much happening in your life atm. I hope Clems splats are temporary.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what the sudden change would be, but one of mine doesn’t tolerate any veg either. He is better with herbs and forage, though still not completely ‘splat free’. Not suitable for your bun and I wouldn’t recommend it anyway, but oddly enough he came in on Wagg pellets. I’ve tried to move him onto every decent pellet under the sun and he just cannot tolerate anything but Wagg. For the amount they have I don’t mind him being on them, but they are certainly a strange species to suss out.

Yea me either it's really weird how it's just changed suddenly :(

With buns with gut issues sometimes you just have to go with it, sounds like the wagg works for him [emoji38] definitely a weird species!

Could you narrow it down to a specific type of veggies (leafy greens?) or type (lettuce or iceburg?). ?
Stress can change pH which may change type of bacteria in gi. I wonder if it could change what foods she can tolerate?
Veggies may be speeding up her gi system causing poo to pass before it is fully formed.
Could you get sample of poo tested?
Gracie, you have so much happening in your life atm. I hope Clems splats are temporary.

Yea sorry, she was getting a mix of kale, broccoli, watercress, coriander, dill, basil, mint and some parsley every night.

That's interesting, I wonder if she's stressed, or picking up on stress maybe.. She's a very sensitive rabbit tbh.

Idk if I can tbh, normally I'd have been to the vets already and had all the tests possible done to try figure it out. But not easy atm. Might not be able to see an exotics vet either. Yea me too :(

Is she producing the splats regularly at the moment? Is she having the mix you described currently?

What I would do is to stop the mix and let her get to a state with no splats for a couple of days. Then I would introduce just one item of the mix for a few days and monitor the result. If no splats, then it would appear she can tolerate that herb/veg. I would start with something like Dill. If no splats, then add one other herb and do the same again. Then gradually re-introduce one additonal item and monitoring the result. I would leave the Broccoli and Kale to the last as these would be the prime suspects :)

Is she producing the splats regularly at the moment? Is she having the mix you described currently?

What I would do is to stop the mix and let her get to a state with no splats for a couple of days. Then I would introduce just one item of the mix for a few days and monitor the result. If no splats, then it would appear she can tolerate that herb/veg. I would start with something like Dill. If no splats, then add one other herb and do the same again. Then gradually re-introduce one additonal item and monitoring the result. I would leave the Broccoli and Kale to the last as these would be the prime suspects :)

That's exactly what we have done, no veg, and we've got no splats now, but I tried a little bit of kale and we got splats again the next day, she's not had any now for a few days. So tonight I'll give her a tiny bit of dill like you suggest and hope :)

Its just so weird, she's been eating all that stuff for well.. since last summer, every night, but she had it all before then regularly too, it just became a part of what helped with the sludge last summer so it's been literally every night since then. I feel like something must have changed but Idk what!

Back