Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Rat getting inside shed

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    N / A
    Posts
    311

    Default Rat getting inside shed

    Not sure if this is in the right section of forum.
    I have a very determined Rat getting inside my shed i check my guineas and rabbit every night before i go to bed and its inside the cage sitting with the guinea pigs.
    It shows no fear and only runs when i move cage.
    We have blocked the holes up in shed but it has gnawed its way in again.
    There is no food left inside shed the hay is in a tightly lidded storage box.
    Guineas and bun only have a little bit of hay in cage so they have something to eat.
    I need a safe way to get rid of it without harming my rabbit and guinea pigs.
    I fear if i use bait it will drag it back inside shed and potentially risks my animals dying.
    I also have a dog shes tried her hardest to get it with no luck.
    Dont like the idea of snap traps.
    I need to replace the shed but fear it will chew its way in again.
    Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks
    My guinea pig website

    www.freewebs.com/lilscavies

  2. #2
    Warren Scout Motty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    200

    Default

    I would call in the pest control. Locally here the rats are immune to the poison, we had to call out the pest control people who removed the rats (well, at least reduced the number so they are no longer so obvious

    Richard

    Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    143,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motty View Post
    I would call in the pest control. Locally here the rats are immune to the poison, we had to call out the pest control people who removed the rats (well, at least reduced the number so they are no longer so obvious

    Richard

    Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    I agree . Not sure how rapidly they will respond atm though, given the Covid 19 situation.


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Edgar needs a Forever Home http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...nham-SW-London

  4. #4
    Mama Doe mikek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    if you want to trap it these live traps are very good. I caught 12 last year (& released a couple of miles away.
    use peanut butter as bait.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/35296710991...SABEgKVtfD_BwE

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    if you're reading this it's too late

  5. #5
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikek View Post
    if you want to trap it these live traps are very good. I caught 12 last year (& released a couple of miles away.
    use peanut butter as bait.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/35296710991...SABEgKVtfD_BwE

    They love peanut butter, but have you ever caught a rat or mouse in a human trap? Because with all the ones I've caught, none of them every were silly enough to go into the humane traps

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Mama Doe mikek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    They love peanut butter, but have you ever caught a rat or mouse in a human trap? Because with all the ones I've caught, none of them every were silly enough to go into the humane traps

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I caught 12 or 13 last year with that same trap they were creating havoc under my floorboards.
    I think one trick is to wear gloves while handling the trap so they don't smell humans. also they just can't resist peanut butter
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    if you're reading this it's too late

  7. #7
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikek View Post
    I caught 12 or 13 last year with that same trap they were creating havoc under my floorboards.
    I think one trick is to wear gloves while handling the trap so they don't smell humans. also they just can't resist peanut butter
    I'm wondering if London mice are smarter.. Hear me out

    So at my parents - London Borough but it's greater London, we don't bother, they aren't in the house, they are just field mice and tbh they're very sweet I reckon I could trap them, not that I want to.

    But when I lived in more central London the ones there were ridiculous! They seemed to be super mice, they were impossible to catch! I tried everything! Peanut butter would go, but the traps would be empty

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Mama Doe mikek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I'm wondering if London mice are smarter.. Hear me out

    So at my parents - London Borough but it's greater London, we don't bother, they aren't in the house, they are just field mice and tbh they're very sweet I reckon I could trap them, not that I want to.

    But when I lived in more central London the ones there were ridiculous! They seemed to be super mice, they were impossible to catch! I tried everything! Peanut butter would go, but the traps would be empty

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    haha.
    we've had mice here in the past but easy to catch with the humane traps. pretty much a mouse a night per trap.
    not so clever at avoiding being caught but very clever at picking their favourite crisps. I can't remember exactly what flavour they preferred, but they could tell which of the packets in a multi-pack they were (through the individual packet) and always went for those first
    it was fun having them at first but soon became a bit of a nuisance. one actually ran up the inside of my ex's trouser legs one time.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    if you're reading this it's too late

  9. #9
    Mama Doe nap91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,342

    Default Rat getting inside shed

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    They love peanut butter, but have you ever caught a rat or mouse in a human trap? Because with all the ones I've caught, none of them every were silly enough to go into the humane traps

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    We had mice before and the only thing they would eat was proper Nutella! They were absolutely not interested in the cheaper Aldi version but as soon as the proper stuff went down they couldn’t stay away!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper William's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    14,913

    Default

    Yeah I'd just use a trap like mikek posted.

    No point using poison or snap traps, it would be wrong to kill it.

    Especially poison, that's a slow death.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •