• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can scent glands close over?

Lorkesaurous

New Kit
I adopted another rescue rabbit (lion head x) a few months ago. Since we got him, it seems his scent glands have closed over. There are dark marks either side where they should be, but no way to get any gunk out (if there even is any...) can this happen?

Also, he's very tiny but apparently a health weight. He has two hard lumps on his groin, either side of his tail. Could this just be bone? Paranoid after we lost our boy James to melanoma last year, which started with a lump and dark mark on one side of his groin.

We have an appointment with the vet but after some reassurance, to calm me down really. 😢

I adopted another rescue rabbit (lion head x) a few months ago. Since we got him, it seems his scent glands have closed over. There are dark marks either side where they should be, but no way to get any gunk out (if there even is any...) can this happen?

Also, he's very tiny but apparently a health weight. He has two hard lumps on his groin, either side of his tail. Could this just be bone? Paranoid after we lost our boy James to melanoma last year, which started with a lump and dark mark on one side of his groin.

We have an appointment with the vet but after some reassurance, to calm me down really. ��

How old is he and is he neutered ?

Scent glands can become impacted with very solid waxy gunk. This can lead to them appearing to have 'closed over' and in some cases infections can occur. When is your appointment at the Vets ?

Appointment isn't until Wednesday with our usual exotic vet. Soonest time we can get in, unless we see a non-exotic.

The 'glands' have looked the same since we got him end of January. Tried cleaning and checking them. Concerned about the hard lumps too as didn't notice them before - could that be infection or potentially just his hip bones?

Appointment isn't until Wednesday with our usual exotic vet. Soonest time we can get in, unless we see a non-exotic.

The 'glands' have looked the same since we got him end of January. Tried cleaning and checking them. Concerned about the hard lumps too as didn't notice them before - could that be infection or potentially just his hip bones?

It's impossible to say what the 'lumps' you can see/feel might be without being able to see/feel them myself. I would give the Vet a call on Monday and ask if your Rabbit should be seen before Wednesday. Also, most Vets have put in place different ways of carrying out Consultations as a result of the Covid 19 situation. So I'd check on your Vet's Website to see what their changes are and what they are advising their Clients to do.

Re your Rabbit's weight- do you weigh him once or twice a week to make sure that he is not actually losing weight ?

Thanks and was thinking of calling them Monday to check any earlier appointments. I was at the vets a few days ago for another rabbit, so aware of their new approach for now .:roll:

I don't weigh him usually, but that's a good idea. He's very tiny anyway, much smaller than my other rabbits.

Thanks, I'll let you know how he gets on at the vets!

Thanks and was thinking of calling them Monday to check any earlier appointments. I was at the vets a few days ago for another rabbit, so aware of their new approach for now .:roll:

I don't weigh him usually, but that's a good idea. He's very tiny anyway, much smaller than my other rabbits.

Thanks, I'll let you know how he gets on at the vets!

It's only to try to keep their Clients and Staff as safe as possible during these scary times. Good luck with the appointment :)

Back