Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Can scent glands close over?

  1. #1
    New Kit Lorkesaurous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    21

    Default Can scent glands close over?

    I adopted another rescue rabbit (lion head x) a few months ago. Since we got him, it seems his scent glands have closed over. There are dark marks either side where they should be, but no way to get any gunk out (if there even is any...) can this happen?

    Also, he's very tiny but apparently a health weight. He has two hard lumps on his groin, either side of his tail. Could this just be bone? Paranoid after we lost our boy James to melanoma last year, which started with a lump and dark mark on one side of his groin.

    We have an appointment with the vet but after some reassurance, to calm me down really. 😢

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorkesaurous View Post
    I adopted another rescue rabbit (lion head x) a few months ago. Since we got him, it seems his scent glands have closed over. There are dark marks either side where they should be, but no way to get any gunk out (if there even is any...) can this happen?

    Also, he's very tiny but apparently a health weight. He has two hard lumps on his groin, either side of his tail. Could this just be bone? Paranoid after we lost our boy James to melanoma last year, which started with a lump and dark mark on one side of his groin.

    We have an appointment with the vet but after some reassurance, to calm me down really. ��
    How old is he and is he neutered ?
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  3. #3
    New Kit Lorkesaurous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    How old is he and is he neutered ?
    He's about 2.5 years old and was neutered a few months ago. He also had mites/lice which was treated before we adopted him.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Scent glands can become impacted with very solid waxy gunk. This can lead to them appearing to have 'closed over' and in some cases infections can occur. When is your appointment at the Vets ?
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  5. #5
    New Kit Lorkesaurous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Appointment isn't until Wednesday with our usual exotic vet. Soonest time we can get in, unless we see a non-exotic.

    The 'glands' have looked the same since we got him end of January. Tried cleaning and checking them. Concerned about the hard lumps too as didn't notice them before - could that be infection or potentially just his hip bones?

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorkesaurous View Post
    Appointment isn't until Wednesday with our usual exotic vet. Soonest time we can get in, unless we see a non-exotic.

    The 'glands' have looked the same since we got him end of January. Tried cleaning and checking them. Concerned about the hard lumps too as didn't notice them before - could that be infection or potentially just his hip bones?
    It's impossible to say what the 'lumps' you can see/feel might be without being able to see/feel them myself. I would give the Vet a call on Monday and ask if your Rabbit should be seen before Wednesday. Also, most Vets have put in place different ways of carrying out Consultations as a result of the Covid 19 situation. So I'd check on your Vet's Website to see what their changes are and what they are advising their Clients to do.

    Re your Rabbit's weight- do you weigh him once or twice a week to make sure that he is not actually losing weight ?
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  7. #7
    New Kit Lorkesaurous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Thanks and was thinking of calling them Monday to check any earlier appointments. I was at the vets a few days ago for another rabbit, so aware of their new approach for now .

    I don't weigh him usually, but that's a good idea. He's very tiny anyway, much smaller than my other rabbits.

    Thanks, I'll let you know how he gets on at the vets!
    Barnaby and Sky: Happy, Bouncy Sibling Mini Lops.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorkesaurous View Post
    Thanks and was thinking of calling them Monday to check any earlier appointments. I was at the vets a few days ago for another rabbit, so aware of their new approach for now .

    I don't weigh him usually, but that's a good idea. He's very tiny anyway, much smaller than my other rabbits.

    Thanks, I'll let you know how he gets on at the vets!
    It's only to try to keep their Clients and Staff as safe as possible during these scary times. Good luck with the appointment
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •