Thread: Bunny keeps changing positions!

Default Bunny keeps changing positions!

Hi everyone,

Need some help. My bunny keeps changing position every 5 seconds and doesnít look very comfortable. He keeps flopping as well as changing positions so I canít tell whether heís uncomfortable or happy - any ideas?

I think I heard some gurgling from him too so Iím worried heís got some gas. At what point would people take their buns to the vet?

Iíve been offering him pellets and he happily runs (and sometimes binkies!) to get a hold of them which I suppose is a good sign! Iíve even been running up and down the living room with the pellets to get him a bit more active in hopes of relieving the gas.

I have felt his stomach and it doesnít feel hard, heís eating and drinking as normal too. Last time I took him to the vet they said he had a Ďbig bellyí so should I be worried about this?

Does anyone have anymore advice? Thanks x

Mama Doe

What is his poo output like? Normal size, quantity, consistency, colour?
    If there are any changes, I would be ringing the vet tonight for advice, with the possibility of taking him in.
    If you think there is something wrong, there probably is - and rabbits can go downhill very quickly. It sounds like he is in some pain, which will need veterinary advice and a physical checkup to find out why. Don't leave it to chance - trust your instincts.

His poo output is fine and look normal. everything else is fine apart from those few minutes where he was trying to get comfortable. He seems to be back to normal now though. I will keep an eye on him and ring the vets if I have any concerns. Thanks for your advice

Would anyone recommend using Simethicone? I’ve read a lot about it online but not sure what brand/type to get

A few people on this forum use Simethicone. I would advise against trying things before going to a vet because time is of the essence if your bunny should regress.
    I am glad he is behaving normally again. Is it possible your bunny had some food/grass/veggies that caused his gas? Fresh spring grass?

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    What is his poo output like? Normal size, quantity, consistency, colour?
    If there are any changes, I would be ringing the vet tonight for advice, with the possibility of taking him in.
    If you think there is something wrong, there probably is - and rabbits can go downhill very quickly. It sounds like he is in some pain, which will need veterinary advice and a physical checkup to find out why. Don't leave it to chance - trust your instincts.
    Agreed!

He has been fed some broccoli which I’ve heard can cause gas. Other than that he’s been on his usual diet. Should I cut out the broccoli?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by zhuJ2002 View Post
    He has been fed some broccoli which I’ve heard can cause gas. Other than that he’s been on his usual diet. Should I cut out the broccoli?
    He should be able to tolerate a small piece of the Broccoli stem.