• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny suddenly digging

Orenoko

Mama Doe
This might sound odd as this is completely natural for bunnies to do, but we've had Rupert for about 6 months and he's never shown any signs of wanting to dig anything. The last few weeks he's become absolutely obsessed with it, he digs out the contents of his litter tray, then when I tidy up and put it back in he just digs it back out again. He's also started digging and chewing the carpet. I've covered obvious areas with ceramic tiles and cardboard to stop him ingesting the carpet. I just can't pinpoint this change in behaviour, he's eating and drinking well, seems well in himself, is still really bonded with Lilac. Just wondering if there's anything I can do? He's not interested in toys at all, just digging!

I'm not overly fussed about the carpet as it's old but obviously don't want him to ingest any, and I'd like to provide him with a positive way to get his digging fix if possible, or something else he can enjoy.

Last edited:
One of mine (can't tell which) has started digging the litter tray over. It hasn't gone anywhere yet though (wihich makes me think it's Chibbs as her feet are so dinky: Lopsy'd have it over the sides in no time with his gallumphing floofers). I'm putting it down to spring excitedness!

One of mine (can't tell which) has started digging the litter tray over. It hasn't gone anywhere yet though (wihich makes me think it's Chibbs as her feet are so dinky: Lopsy'd have it over the sides in no time with his gallumphing floofers). I'm putting it down to spring excitedness!

I hope so! It's impossible to be angry at natural behaviour but goodness me it makes a right mess! Been told to work from home from today so at least I can clean up after him more often and keep an eye in him!

A similar thing happened with one of my rabbits around this age, where she would dig out her litter tray, but this stopped after a while. She’s a free roam hous rabbit and still tends to try and dig on things like carpet if she’s given a chance as digging is a natural instinct and often hard to stop. All I’d say is introduce lots of different alternatives for him to dig on and get it out on that rather than your furniture and flooring. I’ve found cardboard is great for this, as well as seagrass and sisal mats or other edible and safe types of flooring. Also make sure that he has lots of toys and isn’t bored as boredom will reinforce the digging.

Hope it helps!

Back