• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little Bonnie has gone to the Bridge

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Bonnie is the bun I took on who was being kept in a tiny hutch under the stairs in a care home. I had hoped to bond her with my trio but that didn't work out so she lived next to them with a puppy panel dividing them.

I noticed that she was less enthusiastic about her food last Wednesday and took her to the vet. He examined her and said there was nothing wrong with her but gave her a pain killing injection. By Saturday she was not eating at all so I took her back and saw a different vet who was a lot more thorough. I was given antibiotics, a gut stimulant, pain relief and Critical care. She was no better by Monday so I went back and saw yet another vet who said I hadn't given it long enough. Today I saw a fourth vet and said that I was syringe feeding Bonnie but there was no output. The vet's first language was not English which didn't help the consultation. He said it may be her teeth and I pointed out that that wouldn't stop output. I asked about an xray but was told Bonnie wasn't strong enough for a GA. She wasn't moving much so I asked if he could do a conscious xray but he said it wouldn't help. He intimated I would be better to have her PTS but I refused as we didn't even know what was wrong with her. I asked him to speak to the vet who saw her Saturday who had seemed the most bunny savvy vet.

I picked her up after work as they don't have overnight cover there and thought she would be less stressed at home anyway. She had had sub cut fluids and an anti emetic as she was regurgitating the Critical care. She had pain relief and a gut stimulant and tummy massages. I brought her home and popped her in her pen to let her settle in. She didn't move so I brought her in and put her in a drawer by my bed. She wasn't moving at all.

I put her on the bed with me and syringe fed her and then tried to massage her tummy as the vet had showed me. She took it for a while but then struggled and hopped to the end of the bed and lay down. I stroked her and tried another massage but she clearly did not like it so I stopped. She then started thrashing around and mouth breathing and died. It was horrible but I was relieved in a way as the mouth breathing and thrashing was so awful. I've taken her cannula out and cut a piece of her fur, cleaned the Critical care off her and wrapped her in a towel. Am hoping a friend can bury her for me tomorrow but I am working 0830-2200 as doing two jobs so it will be a late funeral.

I didn't think she was very old but I was about her fourth home. She was a really sweet gentle little Nethie and I wish I could have made her better. Am going to look for another vet surgery as I was not impressed by the service. The vet on Saturday is the owner and he did seem to be more bunny savvy but he doesn't work much. It's the Pets at Home veterinary practice and I started going there as they are open all day Saturday and Sunday at no extra charge and it is very near to where I live.

Finding a bunny savvy vet is really difficult:( I think Bonnie may not have died if I had seen a more knowledgeable vet.

I am glad Bonnie was at home with me when she died rather than at the vets. We had had some lovely cuddles this evening and I told her how much I loved her and what a special Bunny she was.

Binky free little Bonnie. I will miss you lots and I am sorry our time together was so short.

I'm so sorry to hear this :cry:

She had a brilliant life with you and I'm glad she was able to have some happiness and spend time where she felt safe and loved. RIP Bonnie x

(On a side note, my rabbit savvy vet works half the week in Hayling Island if that's any good for you)

I'm so sorry you've lost Bonnie [emoji17]

You tried so hard to make her well again and she was a very lucky bun to have you fighting her corner and for giving her a much better life than she had before.

Sleep tight Bonnie xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry to hear this :cry:

She had a brilliant life with you and I'm glad she was able to have some happiness and spend time where she felt safe and loved. RIP Bonnie x

(On a side note, my rabbit savvy vet works half the week in Hayling Island if that's any good for you)

That would be great. Can you let me have the details please?

Thank you everyone for your support. Bunnies can get over stasis - I just feel there was more I should have done but I don't think I have ever had a bunny in stasis before so was a bit out of my depth.

Thank you everyone for your support. Bunnies can get over stasis - I just feel there was more I should have done but I don't think I have ever had a bunny in stasis before so was a bit out of my depth.

With 4 vet visits you did all you could. Hugs. sweet dreams precious Bonnie x

Bonnie is the bun I took on who was being kept in a tiny hutch under the stairs in a care home. I had hoped to bond her with my trio but that didn't work out so she lived next to them with a puppy panel dividing them.

I noticed that she was less enthusiastic about her food last Wednesday and took her to the vet. He examined her and said there was nothing wrong with her but gave her a pain killing injection. By Saturday she was not eating at all so I took her back and saw a different vet who was a lot more thorough. I was given antibiotics, a gut stimulant, pain relief and Critical care. She was no better by Monday so I went back and saw yet another vet who said I hadn't given it long enough. Today I saw a fourth vet and said that I was syringe feeding Bonnie but there was no output. The vet's first language was not English which didn't help the consultation. He said it may be her teeth and I pointed out that that wouldn't stop output. I asked about an xray but was told Bonnie wasn't strong enough for a GA. She wasn't moving much so I asked if he could do a conscious xray but he said it wouldn't help. He intimated I would be better to have her PTS but I refused as we didn't even know what was wrong with her. I asked him to speak to the vet who saw her Saturday who had seemed the most bunny savvy vet.

I picked her up after work as they don't have overnight cover there and thought she would be less stressed at home anyway. She had had sub cut fluids and an anti emetic as she was regurgitating the Critical care. She had pain relief and a gut stimulant and tummy massages. I brought her home and popped her in her pen to let her settle in. She didn't move so I brought her in and put her in a drawer by my bed. She wasn't moving at all.

I put her on the bed with me and syringe fed her and then tried to massage her tummy as the vet had showed me. She took it for a while but then struggled and hopped to the end of the bed and lay down. I stroked her and tried another massage but she clearly did not like it so I stopped. She then started thrashing around and mouth breathing and died. It was horrible but I was relieved in a way as the mouth breathing and thrashing was so awful. I've taken her cannula out and cut a piece of her fur, cleaned the Critical care off her and wrapped her in a towel. Am hoping a friend can bury her for me tomorrow but I am working 0830-2200 as doing two jobs so it will be a late funeral.

I didn't think she was very old but I was about her fourth home. She was a really sweet gentle little Nethie and I wish I could have made her better. Am going to look for another vet surgery as I was not impressed by the service. The vet on Saturday is the owner and he did seem to be more bunny savvy but he doesn't work much. It's the Pets at Home veterinary practice and I started going there as they are open all day Saturday and Sunday at no extra charge and it is very near to where I live.

Finding a bunny savvy vet is really difficult:( I think Bonnie may not have died if I had seen a more knowledgeable vet.

I am glad Bonnie was at home with me when she died rather than at the vets. We had had some lovely cuddles this evening and I told her how much I loved her and what a special Bunny she was.

Binky free little Bonnie. I will miss you lots and I am sorry our time together was so short.

I am so sorry you lost Bonnie. You gave her wonderful care and a loving home. Most of all you were with her at the end. I am sure it meant a lot to her even though it was traumatic for you.

You did well in spite of the outcome. Never having a stasis bunny before is also remarkable. There are different causes and not all cases can be successfully resolved. The cause is not always possible to determine even with more testing.

I am sorry :cry: It sounds as though none of the Vets investigated the possibility of an GI tract obstruction, despite your efforts to get them to do so :cry: RIP Bonnie :cry:

I'm sorry to hear about Bonnie, I remember reading her story. You made her life infinitely better than it was before. Binky free little Bonnie xxx

So sorry about Little Bonnie. You did the best you could.

I know how you feel about unsavvy rabbit vets - it's frustrating when the vet you're seeing clearly has no idea about rabbits.

I am sorry :cry: It sounds as though none of the Vets investigated the possibility of an GI tract obstruction, despite your efforts to get them to do so :cry: RIP Bonnie :cry:

My friend has just come over to bury Bonnie before I go to work as it was nearly midnight before I got home from work last night. I am not happy about the way the vets treated Bonnie - and virtually ignored my suggestions. She saw four different vets, two of which did nothing. I really feel I have let her down and that she died unnecessarily. I am going to write to the Practice Manager with my concerns and start using a vet Nap has recommended on Hayling Island, although I think there are only certain days I can do that.

The owner of the practice was the most bunny savvy. His first language isn't English but he was so fluent it didn't matter, unlike the final vet I saw. This vet acknowledged that I did know a little about bunnies after talking to me. He wanted to do an xray but felt that Bonnie wasn't strong enough to survive the GA. At that time she was still quite lively and wouldn't have kept still for a conscious xray. On the last visit she was barely moving so I don't understand why they couldn't have tried at least.

They kept mentioning money but I paid nearly £1000 for Mr Salted Caramel (and to have Zippy PTS) with the same veterinary practice. Money is an issue - I am now working loads of hours to try to recover the vet bill money - but I should have been given the choices. I made it clear I did not want to have her PTS when we didn't even know what was wrong with her.

The bunny savvy vet said that from her teeth Bonnie was not provided with the right nutrition when she was young. I think I was about her fourth caregiver and so wanted to bond her and give her a good life. My trio wouldn't accept her but, I was going to try with my indoor bun once the weather got warmer. So very sad - and I feel angry too.

Back