Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fearghal- U/D 28th March 0030 hrs Post 94......

Don't give up, fingers and paws crossed here xxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

My cousins daughters Syrian escaped and disappeared for three weeks,he turned up in the utility room in a bucket he'd fallen into.He was a bit scruffy and thin but otherwise ok.They think he was eating the dogs food and water.Lived to three years old.x

Mama Doe

He could be hiding out anywhere - there is all the rabbit stuff around as well (hay, food, water), so he has more options for hiding in comfort. Please don't destroy any more of your house - it makes it harder for you to put right and may push him further into hiding. They tend to come out when they feel confident and safe in their surroundings - so things just need to stay stable, and play the waiting game.

When I was a child I had a Syrian Hamster who went AWOL for about 4-5 months. My Granny left food out for him every night and it was always gone by morning. Eventually he was found when strange scratching noises were heard coming from a sofa. On opening up the sofa a web of tunnels and nests was found along with a very cross Hamster.

I only have one soft chair now and I have disemboweled it. But there was nothing to suggest Fearghal was in there. I fear he has managed to get out of the house via a gap in where a downpipe from the wall to the drain goes

All this has got me thinking. Given that many Hamsters appear to escape their cages is it a sign that they should never be kept as Pets in the first place ? If I saw some sign that Fearghal was accessing his food I'd seriously consider letting him continue to have total freedom. I'd never see him, so I'd not know if he became ill. But IMO he'd be a damn site happier than being confined to a cage, any cage.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    When I was a child I had a Syrian Hamster who went AWOL for about 4-5 months. My Granny left food out for him every night and it was always gone by morning. Eventually he was found when strange scratching noises were heard coming from a sofa. On opening up the sofa a web of tunnels and nests was found along with a very cross Hamster.

I only have one soft chair now and I have disemboweled it. But there was nothing to suggest Fearghal was in there. I fear he has managed to get out of the house via a gap in where a downpipe from the wall to the drain goes

All this has got me thinking. Given that many Hamsters appear to escape their cages is it a sign that they should never be kept as Pets in the first place ? If I saw some sign that Fearghal was accessing his food I'd seriously consider letting him continue to have total freedom. I'd never see him, so I'd not know if he became ill. But IMO he'd be a damn site happier than being confined to a cage, any cage.
    Bella is always looking for a weak spot in order to escape (I suppose) and she soon gets fed up. I keep finding different toys for her mainly to chew. I had my hand too close the other night and she bit my finger. It really hurt and bled so I ignored her for the next 2 evenings. She likes a lot of attention but you don't see her all day. How they became a child's pet I really can't imagine.

Mama Doe

Sorry to hear Fearghal has gone missing, do you have a wellington boot you can lay behind a chair or somewhere hidden, mice like to run into wellington boots so might a hamster.

Have you checked your hay?.

I don't think hamsters can survive for long outside, there prey to many things and get themselves into trouble as only a hamster can.

I hope you manage to find Fearghal.
    Last edited by Summer; 25-03-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    He's escaped and has been missing for over 24 hours. I have gutted the house and I cant find him

I am useless, this cage was bought with the best of intentions. The bar spacing was meant to be suitable for Dwarf Hamsters. Why did I believe it, I read that tanks did not provide adequate air circulation and could lead to RTIs. I am utterly devastated. I have hurt my back again in all my pulling out of kitchen cabinets etc and pulling skirting board away from walls. I can barely move. Now caring for my Rabbits is going to be so hard. It is all my fault

I will NEVER forgive myself for this

dear jack,s-jane,-just caught this post about ferrgy,--oh wow,-I feel your pain,-many love vibs.-please donot despair,-sometimes when we panic we overlook the obvious,-if you know when he is awake-listen for digging,scratching--things they must do-ie.eating drinking.--the habbitrail-[tubes]-would be an excellent place to hide,sleep,etc.-,keep all doors to outside closed.-try to maintain calm-for proper ability to think.--be very quiet and you might hear him-.--sending massive vibs for your health and ferrgy.s safe speedy return.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa- no- china flu

My nephew lost his hamster and it must have been moving from place to place/room to room because one evening it scurried across the bedroom floor.
    They are so small and fast and natural investigators.

Nothing I feel certain he must have got out of the house. If so he'd never survive in the freezing weather, let alone the predator risk

I know I said it before but this time I mean it, no more Hamsters for me. I am clearly incapable of caring for them.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

There's a good chance he'd want to stay close to home where the smells are familiar and it's warm and close to a food source.

Hams can fit in such tiny places, he could've found a hiding place somewhere you haven't looked.

I'd just leave the cage down where he can access it, leave out food and water and places to hide near the food/water.

When I was 12 I lost my mouse and was convinced he'd gotten out of my brother's bedroom and been killed by our cats. We literally went through everything in my brother's bedroom and closet and couldn't find him. Turns out he was inside the computer - there was a very tiny opening in the back of it that he'd gotten in.