• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fearghal- U/D 28th March 0030 hrs Post 94......

Remember I lost Beauty for five days ? She got out of her cage as well.

Put out cucumber and carrot slices for hydration. I have no idea what Beauty ate or drank for 5 days but when I finally caught her she screamed her head off at losing her freedom.

I would give up looking, hamsters know how to hide, it's their instinct. You are better off getting up in the middle of the night and sitting down stairs.

Hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The best hamster owners have had an escaped hamster.

I have a good escape proof dwarf cage you can have. I know the original owner, she paid about £130 for it, then gave it to me, didn't want a penny for it. She only used it a few months.

Oh Jane :( I'd definitely put the cage down low with the door open and lots of tasty food inside, they are surprising what they smell, he may only pop back when things are really really quiet though! I hope he comes back :( x

Regarding tanks, I think the issue stems from a lot of them have really bad ventilation, but there's lots that don't have this issue etc. I think I've mentioned before on here about robos and bars, I know some people say there's a certain distance between them that should be okay for robos, but hamster are such escape artists, I just don't trust it tbh. Alternatively you could get a plastic cage with just bars on the roof, then use a square mesh over the top (incase the robo managed to get up there, unlikely but honestly anything is possible) good thing with those ones is you can get quite a large one like 100cm by 50cm. Seen some 120 ones too.

Don't beat yourself up, or give up yet and I definitely agree with the cucumber suggestion :) x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Was going to suggest boiled egg but they are probably out of stock. Would have given you one if we had any.

Trying to think of something smelly that would attract him. Maybe something of Morse's warmed up to bring out the smell.

Don't know if you could get some wax worms from Squires. Hamsters love wax worms. Xxx

Was going to suggest boiled egg but they are probably out of stock. Would have given you one if we had any.

Trying to think of something smelly that would attract him. Maybe something of Morse's warmed up to bring out the smell.

Don't know if you could get some wax worms from Squires. Hamsters love wax worms. Xxx

I cant go out as I have to self isolate . Squires is closed anyway :cry:

My cousins daughters Syrian escaped and disappeared for three weeks,he turned up in the utility room in a bucket he'd fallen into.He was a bit scruffy and thin but otherwise ok.They think he was eating the dogs food and water.Lived to three years old.x

He could be hiding out anywhere - there is all the rabbit stuff around as well (hay, food, water), so he has more options for hiding in comfort. Please don't destroy any more of your house - it makes it harder for you to put right and may push him further into hiding. They tend to come out when they feel confident and safe in their surroundings - so things just need to stay stable, and play the waiting game.

When I was a child I had a Syrian Hamster who went AWOL for about 4-5 months. My Granny left food out for him every night and it was always gone by morning. Eventually he was found when strange scratching noises were heard coming from a sofa. On opening up the sofa a web of tunnels and nests was found along with a very cross Hamster.

I only have one soft chair now and I have disemboweled it. But there was nothing to suggest Fearghal was in there. I fear he has managed to get out of the house via a gap in where a downpipe from the wall to the drain goes :cry:

All this has got me thinking. Given that many Hamsters appear to escape their cages is it a sign that they should never be kept as Pets in the first place ? If I saw some sign that Fearghal was accessing his food I'd seriously consider letting him continue to have total freedom. I'd never see him, so I'd not know if he became ill. But IMO he'd be a damn site happier than being confined to a cage, any cage.

When I was a child I had a Syrian Hamster who went AWOL for about 4-5 months. My Granny left food out for him every night and it was always gone by morning. Eventually he was found when strange scratching noises were heard coming from a sofa. On opening up the sofa a web of tunnels and nests was found along with a very cross Hamster.

I only have one soft chair now and I have disemboweled it. But there was nothing to suggest Fearghal was in there. I fear he has managed to get out of the house via a gap in where a downpipe from the wall to the drain goes :cry:

All this has got me thinking. Given that many Hamsters appear to escape their cages is it a sign that they should never be kept as Pets in the first place ? If I saw some sign that Fearghal was accessing his food I'd seriously consider letting him continue to have total freedom. I'd never see him, so I'd not know if he became ill. But IMO he'd be a damn site happier than being confined to a cage, any cage.

Bella is always looking for a weak spot in order to escape (I suppose) and she soon gets fed up. I keep finding different toys for her mainly to chew. I had my hand too close the other night and she bit my finger. It really hurt and bled so I ignored her for the next 2 evenings. She likes a lot of attention but you don't see her all day. How they became a child's pet I really can't imagine.

Sorry to hear Fearghal has gone missing, do you have a wellington boot you can lay behind a chair or somewhere hidden, mice like to run into wellington boots so might a hamster.

Have you checked your hay?.

I don't think hamsters can survive for long outside, there prey to many things and get themselves into trouble as only a hamster can.

I hope you manage to find Fearghal.

Last edited:
He's escaped and has been missing for over 24 hours. I have gutted the house and I cant find him :cry:

I am useless, this cage was bought with the best of intentions. The bar spacing was meant to be suitable for Dwarf Hamsters. Why did I believe it, I read that tanks did not provide adequate air circulation and could lead to RTIs. I am utterly devastated. I have hurt my back again in all my pulling out of kitchen cabinets etc and pulling skirting board away from walls. I can barely move. Now caring for my Rabbits is going to be so hard. It is all my fault

I will NEVER forgive myself for this

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
dear jack,s-jane,-just caught this post about ferrgy,--oh wow,-I feel your pain,-many love vibs.-please donot despair,-sometimes when we panic we overlook the obvious,-if you know when he is awake-listen for digging,scratching--things they must do-ie.eating drinking.--the habbitrail-[tubes]-would be an excellent place to hide,sleep,etc.-,keep all doors to outside closed.-try to maintain calm-for proper ability to think.--be very quiet and you might hear him-.--sending massive vibs for your health and ferrgy.s safe speedy return.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa- no- china flu

My nephew lost his hamster and it must have been moving from place to place/room to room because one evening it scurried across the bedroom floor.
They are so small and fast and natural investigators.

Nothing :cry: I feel certain he must have got out of the house. If so he'd never survive in the freezing weather, let alone the predator risk :cry:

I know I said it before but this time I mean it, no more Hamsters for me. I am clearly incapable of caring for them.

There's a good chance he'd want to stay close to home where the smells are familiar and it's warm and close to a food source.

Hams can fit in such tiny places, he could've found a hiding place somewhere you haven't looked.

I'd just leave the cage down where he can access it, leave out food and water and places to hide near the food/water.

When I was 12 I lost my mouse and was convinced he'd gotten out of my brother's bedroom and been killed by our cats. We literally went through everything in my brother's bedroom and closet and couldn't find him. Turns out he was inside the computer - there was a very tiny opening in the back of it that he'd gotten in.

Back