• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit is being aggressive to me as new rabbit has come

AmberH

New Kit
Hello,

I am new here so not sure if I have placed this in the right place. I currently have a male bun named Gucci, he has been neutered and is a small lop, I have had him since 8 weeks and he is currently 9 months old. Prior to Gucci, I have always had male rabbits, some alone and some in pairs and it has always worked and been fine (most have been rescues so they were already bonded).

Anyways, I have recently rescued a little Netherland dwarf male and hoping to bond them once he has been neutered (next week!). However, I am finding Gucci being very aggressive, which is not in his nature at all since the new rabbit has come along.

I often handle Kenzo (my new bun) and wear the same clothes when im with Gucci. This morning I went to place his food in his hutch (Gucci) and he went to bite my arm, this is not in his nature what so ever. Also whenever Kenzo ponders outside of Gucci's hutch, as I do not let them out at the same time, he immediately starts biting on the bars and acts very agitated. I am quite worried as I said, Gucci has always been a lovely natured bun (he doesn't like being handled for too long but which bun does anyways haha!). I am also worried as Kenzo is a very very small nethie so when the bonding process does begin, I would not want him to be at a disadvantage.

Is it normal for Gucci to be acting in this way when he is smelling Kenzo on my clothes etc. My vet told me to start swapping the bedding so they can further get used to the smell, but Gucci just seems to be getting angrier. Is this normal?

I have had many buns over the years (always males) and have friends who have bonded males successfully many times, but I have never had to do the bonding process myself which is why I am quite worried.

any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Amber!

I think it's fairly common for rabbits to act like this when they see/smell a new rabbit in their territory. Gucci is possibly feeling a bit wary/threatened by this strange newcomer! Once new bun is neutered and hormones settled down hopefully they can meet in a neutral area and be able to be bonded still.

PS Welcome to the forum! :wave:

As Guchi is the dominant rabbit, you should always attend to him first before the newcomer. I would keep them apart from one another so Guchi does not get upset when he sees him as this could hinder the bonding process. Some boys never get on but that is the risk you take when you bring home a rabbit of the same sex.

I’ve always had bonded boys and never had an issue, just always had them bonded already so not had to do it myself.
& I guess it’s the risk you run when bonding any bunny’s as it depends on the rabbit :)!
Just wondered if Gucci’s aggression was at all linked to Kenzo and if it’ll calm down after as was quite worried! But thanks a lot guys!!

Back