• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lillian and Leo 's bonding adventures - day 1...U/D 19 March vet visit now

I hope it stops soon, but bless Leo, he sounds like one over excited bunny ! I imagine it must feel like all his Christmases and birthdays, that he missed out on, have come at once. I'm convinced he will calm down, Lillian sounds very tolerant, so that's got to be a good sign :D

Is this also when they are in the garden? I know it does seem harder when a new boy joins a female in her territory - it's like the boy has to be really sure that the female knows he is the dominant one. Also we are now into Spring which does affect the rabbits. Does Lillian run away from him?

I’m sure he will stop soon :thumb: I agree I wouldn’t separate, I’d try as many distractions as possible such as forage/herbs/apple or pear or other edible tree branches, and things to jump on and go under, so long as they aren’t territorial.

We’ve booked Lillian into the vet tonight as I’m really concerned for her. Whilst that may seem dramatic on my statement, she is presenting as unwell. She’s drinking more than usual, although weeing, but she’s not popping much and seems to be straining. She’s not eating as much as Lillian eats - a big indicator for us that something not right.
My thoughts are possibly she’s unable to go to the toilet because Leo is just all over her constantly so she doesn’t even get time to poop. Or possibly stasis from the constant hassle of Leo? Or worse case scenario is some blockage or kidney issue. She munched a couple of primrose flowers on Saturday so I’m hoping it’s not related to that.
Any thoughts please?

We’ve booked Lillian into the vet tonight as I’m really concerned for her. Whilst that may seem dramatic on my statement, she is presenting as unwell. She’s drinking more than usual, although weeing, but she’s not popping much and seems to be straining. She’s not eating as much as Lillian eats - a big indicator for us that something not right.
My thoughts are possibly she’s unable to go to the toilet because Leo is just all over her constantly so she doesn’t even get time to poop. Or possibly stasis from the constant hassle of Leo? Or worse case scenario is some blockage or kidney issue. She munched a couple of primrose flowers on Saturday so I’m hoping it’s not related to that.
Any thoughts please?

I'm sorry to hear that Lillian is unwell and hope she gets on OK at the vets.

As to the reason, I would consider that it might not be anything to do with Leo. What Leo is doing is probably considered as quite normal behaviour amongst rabbits and as long as Lillian hasn't appeared distressed, it might be unconnected. I can't imagine that she hasn't had time to poop either. Regarding Primroses, I don't think they are on the list of 'very toxic' plants. They don't appear on all lists, see https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging/plants-to-avoid So unless she ate a mountain of them, I would discount them as being a cause. It may just be one of those unexplained stasis episodes that rabbits seem to get.

Thank you omi - I owe you a hug. I’ve been stressing my self stupid at work this morning and your words have reassured me so much. Your like a hug in a mug.
Thank you omi.

A lady on the Island lost her bun due to eating a Primrose. I hope this is not why Lillian is not herself but better to mention it to the Vet. It will be ok to give Lillian a break overnight if you think she needs one. Hope she will be ok.

Thank you every bun. Just got back from the vets. Well, Lillian is not a well bunny, but that said, it would seem that this time I have actually identified a poorly bunny in time.
The biggest clue to Lillian not being herself is when food is left - and that was my clue this morning and her demeanour yesterday. It just didn't feel right, but at times you feel as if it's just a blip - if that makes sense.
When I picked up Lillian this morning, she certainly wasn't as lively as she normally was and strangely I thought that her body felt 'tight'. As someone not medically trained, I was quite dismissive of this but nonetheless I kept it in mind.
So, at the vet, I described the situation. Lillian is drinking more, lack of appetite and definate lack of poop. The vet was extremely thorough and said that her body/tummy did indeed feel tight and the vet felt that this was perhaps a gass issue but also listened to LIllians tummy and there was little sound from the gut - so we certainly have stasis. Lillian also is running a bit of a temperature as well so theres plenty going on.
However, the vet was quite positive and said that it was good we had brought her in so quickly. She weighed Lillian and she is 3.5kg.
So, moving forward - the vet gave Lillian 2 injections - a pain relief medication and a gut meds injection to help get things moving in her gut. We have antibiotics to give her (Sulfatrim) and we've got supplies of metaclopromide if we need to continue that. The vet thought that the injections today would certainly help and we must monitor Lillian tonight and administer Sulfatrim and we must return to the vet tomorrow morning at 9am to see how things are - temperature check and obviously listen to Lillians gut.
I discussed possible causes for this ailment with Lillian. Given the situation with Leo, the vet did feel that Lillians stasis/gas is a probable cause of stress from the constant attention from Leo. This does seem to link in rather than something else going on. She was fine until we started the bond and as you all know, things seemed to be quite positive except for the continual humping from Leo - front and back. It's just relentless.
So, that's where we are. Lillian began munching on a cabbage leaf in the carrier on the way home from the vet but she is presently sitting in her usual area in the kitchen/diner. Leo I'm afraid, is back in his batchelor pad outside and yes I feel very bad for him because this is also emotionally confusing for him. It's NOT his fault he is behaving like this but I kind of thought it would have eased off. I don't know if its a dominance thing with him or just excitedness.
I will update you all in the morning after the vet trip and let you know how Lillian is.
Craig x

I think you've done the right thing in separating them for a while and hopefully, when Lillian is feeling better, they will be able to go back together again. I hope Lillian gets back to her normal self soon. X

Well done for getting her to the vets speedily. Most issues are going to respond better to treatment when it's given early. I would be happy with the medication given and also the fact that Lillian will be re-examined tomorrow.

I think with episodes of Stasis it's very often impossible to decide a cause. I would think though that if Lillian has a raised temperature, then that is pointing possibly to an infection.

Sending her lots of vibes and I hope she soon returns to her normal eating and feels a lot better.

What did the vet say about the Primrose flowers?

Yes, I think infection is probably underlying. She’s quite damp underneath - just given her the sulfatrim and cleaned up her underside. It was dry this morning so this dampness has only started during the day. I’m assuming that it’s because of the raised temperature - possible uti again. I think this will be something she is prone to - although not sure where or how she might have picked any infection up from.
She’s just picked at a bit of parsley but not really digging in. Will see how she is in the morning.
I forgot to mention the primrose - will mention it tomorrow.
Thank you all again for your support. X

Very quick update pre vet trip. Lillian had eaten some food last night and there was evidence of fresh poops in the area of her toilet area. She seemed a little brighter, wanted to (and has been) outside and her underneath was much much drier. We put flamzene on her last night to combat any discomfort and that was all that was evident on her underside. So we’ve put a bit of flamzene on now, given the sulfatrim and she’s out nomming on some triffids in the garden.
Off to vets in 20 mins so see how it goes.

Sending lots of vibes for her. Perhaps Leo was being over zealous with the humping if he sensed she was under the weather.

Saw vet at 9am. Did very thorough examination of Lillian’s tummy and was not happy with the situation. She felt the production of poops and Lillian had some inside but no guy sounds so she has had another gut injection. Vet encouraged by poops last night and Lillian produced 2 nice bum nuggets on the table for the vet.
So our treatment is metacam once day, sulfatrim twice day and today metaclopromide 3 times to see if this kick starts Lillian’s gut.
She has eaten a bit this morning (son is monitoring) and will see how things are when I get home tonight and will update then.

Back