• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ways to reduce stress induced GI stasis

mismatchbunnies

Warren Scout
Hi, I have a spayed female bunny who is almost two. She is naturally a very nervous and anxious rabbit, and gets stressed easily. She is not even two years old until June and has already gone into stasis twice (and a third if you want to count it but this was a mild and short case as a result of a long car ride). The most recent time was yesterday, and I still don’t fully know the cause. She had no change in diet and is very healthy as I am strict in what she eats (80% Timothy hay, 10% fresh veg, 5% nuggets and 5% treats). She also doesn’t seem to have eaten something she shouldn’t have that may have caused stasis as I have removed any non-edible materials that she seemed to like to nibble in the past. But anyways, she went into stasis overnight, luckily the next morning we noticed immediately when she didn’t touch her nuggets which she usually loves so we got her to the vet at 9am and she seemed to slowly recover after being given guy stimulants and pain relief, and is almost completely normal this morning (eating and moving around as usual). So my main question is if anyone has tips to reduce anxiety as I think this could have been the cause yesterday, as well as just making her life more stress-free. She already has a neutered male companion who is the complete opposite of her (laid back, submissive and confident), and she is a free roam house rabbit in our large kitchen where she has a good amount of toys and shelter/hidey-houses. I have already bought some of the pet remedy de-stress spray as I bought this for car rides to help her calm a little so I was thinking of spraying some of this around and on her blankets etc. to see if this help. Any other ideas?

you also get a pet remedy diffuser, you plug it in and it sprays occasionally. I found it really helpful as a constant compared to the spray which you have to keep redoing. it is a bit smelly at first but it then tapers off, so its just if you're able to deal with that initial smell.

outside of that, it really sounds like you're doing all that you can for her :( bless. I have a naturally jumpy rabbit but thankfully he never goes into stasis, and really, he's just a drama queen!!

you also get a pet remedy diffuser, you plug it in and it sprays occasionally. I found it really helpful as a constant compared to the spray which you have to keep redoing. it is a bit smelly at first but it then tapers off, so its just if you're able to deal with that initial smell.

outside of that, it really sounds like you're doing all that you can for her :( bless. I have a naturally jumpy rabbit but thankfully he never goes into stasis, and really, he's just a drama queen!!

Great idea. I will look into that, thank you! And yes, all that I can think of, anyways.

Is she spayed and if so did the stasis episodes start after her spay ?

Does she drink well ? Is her wee output normal with no signs of sludge/milky coloured 'gritty' wee ?

Is she spayed and if so did the stasis episodes start after her spay ?

Does she drink well ? Is her wee output normal with no signs of sludge/milky coloured 'gritty' wee ?

Yes she is spayed, and I think the first stasis episode was after she was spayed, but this is probably because she was fairly young when she was spayed and we hadn’t had her long before she was done.

Yes she drinks completely fine and her wee is normal with no signs like that or other abnormalities.

Back