• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating post op - any suggestions?

If moist pellets keep him eating for himself, it will keep him going and is less hassle than syringe feeding. You could try cutting up a daily handful of fresh grass into very short pieces (eg 5mm with scissors) and mixing it in - that will increase the fibre naturally and he may manage to eat it if short enough as it won't need chewing the same as long strands. You could also try the leaves of dandelion, bramble (both available now) or willow (which will soon be out). My dental bunnies found it easier to eat leaves off twigs hung just above nose height, rather than trying to pick them up from the floor. It also gave them something different to do.

I adopted an 8 year old Bunny who had never been fed hay in his life. I named him 'Major Tom'

CDvxzCT.jpg

His teeth were a mess. He could only eat moistened pellets for the remainder of his life, which was just over 2 years. During that time he needed numerous Dentals and treatment for a Dental abscess and infected tear ducts. Both caused as a consequence of his severe Dental problems. So whilst eating soggy pellets is not ideal, as a last resort it is possible for a Bunny to survive on the diet, albeit that they may get a mucky bum quite a lot of the time so a lot of extra hands on care is needed to keep Bunny clean. And obviously being ultra vigilant re Flystrike is essential.

Have you tried mixing some profibre pellets in with his usual soggy pellets

https://www.protexin.com/products/pro-fibre-for-rabbits/32

Also some crumbled up Fibafirst sticks

https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

Both can be mixed up with the soggy pellets and will increase the crude fibre content of his diet. Whilst served as a soggy mash that wont help his teeth it may help his GI tract and lessen the production of unformed cecotrophs.

Nice of you to have adopted Major Tom. The dental problems are tough on a rabbit and yourself, I fully know how you feel!

To avoid a messy bum I just add some fibreplex to his pellets - just spread it on top and they mop it up. Dex used to get a messy bum until I did that (and until I made him lose some weight so he can reach his bum).

I've got both the protexin and fibafirst snacks - he used to love the protexin pre getting tooth abscess. Hasn't been keen on it when I've made it soggy, but funnily enough in the last bowl I gave him he ate it! He used to eat the fibafirst sticks as a last resort in the past, but probably after a trip to the vets he suddenly wasn't keen. I did try making it soggy but he wasn't keen...

If moist pellets keep him eating for himself, it will keep him going and is less hassle than syringe feeding. You could try cutting up a daily handful of fresh grass into very short pieces (eg 5mm with scissors) and mixing it in - that will increase the fibre naturally and he may manage to eat it if short enough as it won't need chewing the same as long strands. You could also try the leaves of dandelion, bramble (both available now) or willow (which will soon be out). My dental bunnies found it easier to eat leaves off twigs hung just above nose height, rather than trying to pick them up from the floor. It also gave them something different to do.

Might try the trick of hanging veg above nose height, that sounds interesting.

He's not been keen on grass in years, but probably worth another try as his preferences change faster than the weather! Yes I agree, anything is less hassle than syringe feeding - it's got to be one of the most stressful activities anyone can do! I'm slowly trying to make the pellets less and less moist to ease him back into eating the pellets as normal....

Hi all

I have a quick question, was hoping you could advise

So tomorrow will be 5 weeks since Dex has had his teeth procedure where he has spurs on hind teeth removed and front teeth clipped. However as you're all aware he is recovering from his tooth abscess procedure.

he currently is eating fine and doesn't show any signs of discomfort. His appetite is pretty strong and he's pretty much begging for more food...

Shall I just hold off until I see any signs that his teeth are bothering him? Or shall I stick to the routine and take him to the vets tomorrow? He's just doing so well and I don't want to put him into any additional trauma while he's recovering. Usually he won't eat for half a day after coming back from vets. However I'm most concerned about those spurs as they have been extremely troublesome in the past.

Thanks all

Hi all

I have a quick question, was hoping you could advise

So tomorrow will be 5 weeks since Dex has had his teeth procedure where he has spurs on hind teeth removed and front teeth clipped. However as you're all aware he is recovering from his tooth abscess procedure.

he currently is eating fine and doesn't show any signs of discomfort. His appetite is pretty strong and he's pretty much begging for more food...

Shall I just hold off until I see any signs that his teeth are bothering him? Or shall I stick to the routine and take him to the vets tomorrow? He's just doing so well and I don't want to put him into any additional trauma while he's recovering. Usually he won't eat for half a day after coming back from vets. However I'm most concerned about those spurs as they have been extremely troublesome in the past.

Thanks all

Due to Covid 19 all Vets have had to make major changes regarding consultations, some only seeing Emergency cases. So the only way to get the answer to your question is to call your Vet. In normal circumstances I would say it would be a good idea to take him to have his teeth and abscess re-assessed. But normal is something the world is not now.

Glad to hear that Dexter is doing better within himself :)

Due to Covid 19 all Vets have had to make major changes regarding consultations, some only seeing Emergency cases. So the only way to get the answer to your question is to call your Vet. In normal circumstances I would say it would be a good idea to take him to have his teeth and abscess re-assessed. But normal is something the world is not now.

Glad to hear that Dexter is doing better within himself :)

Thank you JJ, yes he's doing much better, just got this teeth procedure hanging over my head...

I've called my vets and although they're not doing normal routine appointments, they will do Dexter's teeth for him. I'm just waiting on advice from the vets.

The thing is to get the teeth assessed, he has to be given some anaesthetic anyways so if that's the case I might as well get them to clip/burr any troublesome teeth, so it's not as straightforward just to check whether he needs them done or not. Wish it was as it would be much easier!

Hi all

Just a quick update. I've come back from the vets today and they've said that Dexter's abscess wound has healed quite well so I can stop with the cleaning and depocillen injections for now. I will of course still be monitoring for any changes....

Thank you all for all your help and advice.

Back