Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have just lost bunny, I think it may have been because of his food.

Default I have just lost bunny, I think it may have been because of his food.

I just lost my beloved 5 year old bun, Arlo. He was a free range rabbit, good as gold. I also have 6 cats and a dog. They all adore each other. He was fine the night before last. I fed him his usual nuggets, greens and added more hay to his rack. The next morning he was behaving strange. He tried to mount one of the cats. He has never done this. He seemed really agitated and was jumping onto my bed, off of it. Looking for the cat. I put the cat out, but not before he tried to mount another cat, who batted him in the face and ran off. He was making the the low "mhmhmhmh" noise that they make when they are worked up. Shortly after he started to become subdued and his eyes and nose started weeping. I thought the cat had maybe swept his eyes when she batted him (although she was gentle), so I bathed his eyes to see if that would clear it. They seemed to get a bit better throughout the day, but he got more subdued in the evening and refused to eat or drink. He seemed to hang over his water bowl, not drinking. I was unable at that point to take him to the vet (I do not drive and I have 2 autistic children who were in their beds), so I called for advice and they said to push fluids and liquidised nuggets periodically to keep his stomach moving until morning when I could get there. This is something I an familiar with and I know what I am doing. I have hand reared many species of animal. He died in my arms this morning before my lift had a chance to arrive. His lips were blue/purple and swollen. It was so sudden and so strange regarding the circumstances with his behaviour preceding his death.
    I have just started cleaning out his corner, this includes his hay rack. Upon emptying the rack, I saw a flash of bright colour and looked closer. It was a dried, bright pink/purple petal. I searched through the hay and found quite a few of them. They were small enough to not notice unless you were looking, but there are quite a few of them. I can only assume that the green part of the plant is also in there, dried, but harder to spot because it will be the same colour as the hay. My question is, could this be the cause of his behaviour and subsequent death? I have pictures of the petals, but I don't know how to upload them. It is a different hay from what I usually buy as my dad picked it up for me from a shop on his way home from work and I usually buy it from Tesco's.
    Sorry for the lengthy post. I am just devastated and none of it makes sense. He was tip top healthy until yesterday. Could it have really been because of the cat or it there possibly something more at play with the mystery plant in the hay?
    Thanks for reading,
    Sarah.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah.M View Post
    I just lost my beloved 5 year old bun, Arlo. He was a free range rabbit, good as gold. I also have 6 cats and a dog. They all adore each other. He was fine the night before last. I fed him his usual nuggets, greens and added more hay to his rack. The next morning he was behaving strange. He tried to mount one of the cats. He has never done this. He seemed really agitated and was jumping onto my bed, off of it. Looking for the cat. I put the cat out, but not before he tried to mount another cat, who batted him in the face and ran off. He was making the the low "mhmhmhmh" noise that they make when they are worked up. Shortly after he started to become subdued and his eyes and nose started weeping. I thought the cat had maybe swept his eyes when she batted him (although she was gentle), so I bathed his eyes to see if that would clear it. They seemed to get a bit better throughout the day, but he got more subdued in the evening and refused to eat or drink. He seemed to hang over his water bowl, not drinking. I was unable at that point to take him to the vet (I do not drive and I have 2 autistic children who were in their beds), so I called for advice and they said to push fluids and liquidised nuggets periodically to keep his stomach moving until morning when I could get there. This is something I an familiar with and I know what I am doing. I have hand reared many species of animal. He died in my arms this morning before my lift had a chance to arrive. His lips were blue/purple and swollen. It was so sudden and so strange regarding the circumstances with his behaviour preceding his death.
    I have just started cleaning out his corner, this includes his hay rack. Upon emptying the rack, I saw a flash of bright colour and looked closer. It was a dried, bright pink/purple petal. I searched through the hay and found quite a few of them. They were small enough to not notice unless you were looking, but there are quite a few of them. I can only assume that the green part of the plant is also in there, dried, but harder to spot because it will be the same colour as the hay. My question is, could this be the cause of his behaviour and subsequent death? I have pictures of the petals, but I don't know how to upload them. It is a different hay from what I usually buy as my dad picked it up for me from a shop on his way home from work and I usually buy it from Tesco's.
    Sorry for the lengthy post. I am just devastated and none of it makes sense. He was tip top healthy until yesterday. Could it have really been because of the cat or it there possibly something more at play with the mystery plant in the hay?
    Thanks for reading,
    Sarah.
    I am very sorry for your loss Was your Rabbit fully vaccinated against Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2. This mean two separate vaccines given at least 2 weeks apart.

This link may help you to upload some photos of the petals you found

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...to-Post-Photos

Without a post mortem examination it is impossible to say what the cause of your Rabbit's sudden passing was. But not everyone feels able to have a PM carried out.

Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Thank you for your condolences.
    No, he was not vaccinated. He was a full time indoor rabbit.
    Unfortunately I could not afford a postmortem, I suppose I would just like a sense of whether there is a risk with the brand of hay that others need to be warned about. It is a freshly opened bag of a known brand and i have never come across purple flowers in hay before. I have just found a few yellow ones too and i can see spots of colour through the clear parts of the bag now that i am looking properly.
    I shall try to upload some pictures.
    Many thanks for replying.

I just tried to use Imagur. It would not let me do anything without allowing access to and uploading my entire gallery and I am not comfortable with apps that ask for that. The process to upload a single picture was not as described in your link. I am afraid I am unfamiliar with all of these new sites and apps. I use facebook and whatsapp and that's it :S

I'm so sorry for your loss Sarah, what a horrible shock. I think it will be impossible to know what took your bunny but I do think its unlikely to be the hay or the flowers within.

The vaccinations Jane spoke of are unfortunately necessary for all rabbits, house bunnies are just as susceptible. RHVD2 takes many rabbits suddenly & often without symptoms.

Wise Old Thumper

I am very sorry you have lost your bunny. I am wondering if the petals belong to Primroses which are poisonous for rabbits, so I have been told.

They could well be primrose, they have yellow towards the base of the petals, where they would attach to the centre of the flower. Is there any other way I can get a picture uploaded apart from Imagur? Are there any other accepted picture hosting site that works with the forum?

As others have said, I'm very sorry you have lost your bun. I think it is unlikely to have been the flowers contained in the hay, but it would be good if you can get the photo on here as someone may be able to identify the particular flower

To help with uploading photos, there is an app called Tapatalk which you can use to access this Forum on your phone, the app makes uploading single photos extremely easy.

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I am sorry for your loss. Bunnies are good at hiding illness, so he may have been ill before you noticed symptoms.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm not sure if primrose are toxic or not.