• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving to a shed

wench

Young Bun
Hello, I'm thinking of moving away from a hutch and run set up and getting a shed for Bert and Harley. Any tips would be appreciated it and points that I need to consider? E.g. How do I keep them cool in the summer?

We've got a shed for our bunnies with runs attached. I find it's ideal as they can then choose whether to be inside or out. If you've got options as to the location of the shed, I would aim to have it so that it's not in direct mid-day sunlight, to prevent it getting over-heated in the Summer, but an ideal would be to combine places where it's warmer with places where there's some shade. We have a cat-flap, which they use for access between the runs and the shed. I would also suggest you get a cheap lino offcut to put on the floor, which makes for very easy cleaning.

Its best to get the door of the shed facing north if possible as they can get very hot in the summer. I have had a couple of windows taken out and meshed them, then in the winter you have to cover the mesh to stop draughts. Great fun! I have always put lino down in the sheds and it helps keep the floor in good condition. What size are you thinking of? Apex roofs seem the best as I have had more problems with the pent shed roof.

Thanks I'm considering an 8x8 shed with a secure run attached which they can access through a cat flap from the shed. What's the best way to keep it warm and draft free in winter yet still be ventilated for them? Lino seems to be most popular flooring in terms of easy clean? Do you still have a hutch in the shed for them to have a house to hide in? Sorry for all the questions I just want to get it right

I wouldn't be too concerned about warmth in the Winter if there is a pair or more of bunnies. They will snuggle up together and in my experience manage to keep warm. With a cat-flap and a closed door, there shouldn't be any drafts. A hutch inside or a wooden box as a hidey-place would be welcome inside the shed. I don't have either of these, but they do have a cardboard box filled with hay, which they use instead. This needs to be replaced every so often as they destroy it. I think it's a case of knowing your bunnies. Mine would likely nibble anything wooden and sometimes they will use the hay inside to wee and poo, so I prefer something I can easily replace. Also you need to be sure that if using cardboard they don't eat too much of it.

8 x 8 would be a nice roomy size for them :)

I wouldn't be too concerned about warmth in the Winter if there is a pair or more of bunnies. They will snuggle up together and in my experience manage to keep warm. With a cat-flap and a closed door, there shouldn't be any drafts. A hutch inside or a wooden box as a hidey-place would be welcome inside the shed. I don't have either of these, but they do have a cardboard box filled with hay, which they use instead. This needs to be replaced every so often as they destroy it. I think it's a case of knowing your bunnies. Mine would likely nibble anything wooden and sometimes they will use the hay inside to wee and poo, so I prefer something I can easily replace. Also you need to be sure that if using cardboard they don't eat too much of it.

8 x 8 would be a nice roomy size for them :)

I agree with Omi. 8x8 will be a great size, I have a 7x5 which is imo big enough for my 2. They sit and eat hay most of the time and get to run around the garden frequently. I have had hutches in sheds, they take up quite a bit of space,but they can be nice and cosy. Pros and cons as usual. You can but sheds with opening windows if you want. Some rabbits have levels with a ramp. I've always wanted to do this but Handymen are not easy to find. If you have a man this is something to think about as rabbits tend to like getting up high. There are some fantastic examples on the RWA website and other websites.

Hello, I'm thinking of moving away from a hutch and run set up and getting a shed for Bert and Harley. Any tips would be appreciated it and points that I need to consider? E.g. How do I keep them cool in the summer?

I think this is a great idea. I am sure they will love it.

Back