• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hopping on & off the bed - suggestions

Vale&Doyle

New Kit
Hi everyone,
I have recently adopted a beautiful baby mini lop, Doyle.
He is the sweetest bunny, he loves company and cuddles. And he really like to chill on my bed.
After few days of trying, he is now able to jump on my bed on his own but - because he is still so little - he doesn't know how to hop off.
If I am on the bed with him, it's no problem, cause I can see when he is ready to leave. But of I am not in the room is a bit of an issue.
Like this morning, I was in the kitchen getting his litter and hay ready for the day and he was in my bedroom on the bed and couldn't hop off... and of course...he peed on my bed :cry:
So, now my questions:
What can I use / buy to help him hop off the bed?
And is there a way to avoid him peeing on my bed again?

thanks

Rabbits will tend to wee on anything soft especially if he isn't neutered yet. Are you trying to litter train him as it is best to start young. If you can't prevent him from jumping onto your bed then you will need to get a low stool or something he can use as a step but now he has wee'd on the bed he will probably do it again. He isn't being naughty.

Hi! I had a similar problem with my bunnies at first. I used a variety of different things, but all you really need is some sort of podium for them to use as a step to get up and down. You can buy ‘pet steps’ from amazon etc. but they are often quite expensive. I currently use an NIC Cube hidey house which my bunnies can hop onto from the bed and to the floor (and vice versa to get onto the bed). This seems to work well for me as it is fairly stable and I have covered it in a thick blanket to make sure they’re not jumping straight onto wire/metal which could hurt their feet. Other alternatives could be pillows or a cardboard box as temporary options, but if you want to have something which incorporates with your furniture as a more permanent alternative I’d either recommend an ottoman or NIC grids which you can make into a hidey house and cover it with a blanket. Whichever you choose, make sure to encourage your rabbit to use the podium when getting down especially, as baby rabbits’ bones are obviously much thinner and could break more easily if he lands wrong/with too much force. I’d use treats and praise to entice him down from the bed. Hope it helps!

I used one of these cubes as a step for my bridge bun. It fits in a gap under the bed so I'd pull it out for the day time when she was about and push it in under when I was using the room myself.
68345_pla_kuschelhoehle_fuer_regale_hs_01_3.jpg

All I would say is every single rabbit I've owned has seen the bed as a toilet despite being 100% litter trained.

thanks so much tonibun.
I definitely want my bunny to feel free to jump on the bed whenever he wants, especially when he is looking to snuggle with me ❤️
Right now he has a large playpen to stay during the night and when I at at work, but when I am home he is free to roam around. The goal is to litter train him (honestly he has been with me for only 5 days and he is already so good with it) and to free roam him all the time.
But of course I want to do this gradually, and I need to neuter him first (he is only 11 weeks old).

Last edited:
thanks mismatchbunny, I will definitely look into this. Combining a step with a hide house is a great idea, so he can have more freedom

BattleKat, I hope that, when my bunny will be neutered and litter trained, will stop peeing on my bed, cause I really love these cuddles times with him on the bed and don't want to give these up. And I don't want to restrict access to my bedroom to Doyle 😭

Last edited:
I felt the same with my previous cuddle bun, Lola. In the end I put a litter tray on the bed during the day so that she could still have access. Thankfully she did choose to use it.

I hope you can continue to have him on the bed for cuddles & that the weeing doesn't continue - its impossible to predict really. I have a neutered middle aged pair in my bedroom & I never have any bunny wee's on the bed though they do go up on their several times a day / night - other bunnies I've had have been a bit more challenging in this department

thanks everyone for the suggestions - I will keep you posted. First thing is to get an appointment with the vet to discuss neutering (although he seems still so little to me)

Back