• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Rabbits

Helen3986

New Kit
We have 2 rabbits, one white male (who we were assured was a girl) and a female, light brown rabbit. Male was castrated in November. Just for background our rabbits live outside and have dug themselves an underground warren, and about 2-3 weeks ago we started letting them have the run of the garden in the day.
Yesterday we saw a little head poking out! Today there are 4 of them. Our female has shown no signs of pregnancy, but there are baby rabbits there. To me they look like wild rabbits colouring, but my male tends to be territorial so I can't see him letting someone else in the run and he's quite protective of these babies. Do wild rabbits abandon their babies in other warrens or do rabbits sometimes take other rabbits babies? Thanks

It's not easy to assess what's going on here. I think it's very likely that the babies belong to your male and female. Bucks can be still fertile up to around 6 weeks after castration, so depending on when exactly he was neutered and how old the babies are, it's likely in my opinion that he is the father.

We have 2 rabbits, one white male (who we were assured was a girl) and a female, light brown rabbit. Male was castrated in November. Just for background our rabbits live outside and have dug themselves an underground warren, and about 2-3 weeks ago we started letting them have the run of the garden in the day.
Yesterday we saw a little head poking out! Today there are 4 of them. Our female has shown no signs of pregnancy, but there are baby rabbits there. To me they look like wild rabbits colouring, but my male tends to be territorial so I can't see him letting someone else in the run and he's quite protective of these babies. Do wild rabbits abandon their babies in other warrens or do rabbits sometimes take other rabbits babies? Thanks
dear helen3986,-wildies,ie[cottontails]-gestation period is 28-30 days,mom feeds once at night,twice if babies are lucky.-dad has already moved on,and mom may stick around ten days-babies eyes open mom is gone.-on there own imprinted with only the common sense they inherited.-cotton tails life expectancy is about 18 months.-gotta love em.-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

It's not easy to assess what's going on here. I think it's very likely that the babies belong to your male and female. Bucks can be still fertile up to around 6 weeks after castration, so depending on when exactly he was neutered and how old the babies are, it's likely in my opinion that he is the father.

I agree with this. You may find some information on this thread useful

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

Back