• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly rabbit hind leg soiling

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Spudsey is regularly getting in a mess with soiling to her hind legs, can anyone suggest what I can do to prevent this? I'm having to clean her up at least once a day with either a pet wipe or cotton wool in warm water, depending on how much time I have. I then whack some cream on them to try and stop any soreness.

Spudsey is regularly getting in a mess with soiling to her hind legs, can anyone suggest what I can do to prevent this? I'm having to clean her up at least once a day with either a pet wipe or cotton wool in warm water, depending on how much time I have. I then whack some cream on them to try and stop any soreness.

Believe it or not I was only this morning wondering how Spudsey was doing.

I've got the same issue with my poorly bun Rudey, I hate having to put him through clean ups. Its difficult when they are elderly or chronically ill as we need any interventions to be really gentle.

How is she generally? x

Believe it or not I was only this morning wondering how Spudsey was doing.

I've got the same issue with my poorly bun Rudey, I hate having to put him through clean ups. Its difficult when they are elderly or chronically ill as we need any interventions to be really gentle.

How is she generally? x

Awww thanks that was thoughtful of you :)

She's ok....she's in a horrible indoor cage during the day still, which we don't think was probably helping with her mobility as we've now moved her indoor run inside now as well so we can leave her out for the whole night as opposed to 3-5 hours in the evening when we gave her half the kitchen, but had to hang around due to the cats also having access. But we think she seems better on her back legs now so I suspect having longer to exercise is benefiting her.

She is not at all happy being cleaned up, she has started curling herself up like a hedgehog (!) and nipping me :( Not hard just gentle little nips telling me she's not happy.

Just hard work at the moment with her eye due to the mxyi, and her back end/legs getting dirty. Plus constantly having to wash the old duvet cover we have on the floor of her run as she doesn't seem to go in her tray much for wee's :(

How is your Rudey?

Do you know the primary cause of Spudsey's mucky bum ? Is it due to mobility problems ?

I would say a bit of mobility and also her not eating much hay! I have spent a fortune on forage from galens but she's not a fan of all of it. She is loving readigrass at the moment and the profibre pellets, although I'm not entirely sure if there is a limit to how much she can have of each? I think she'd be quite happy just having the profibre as opposed to any other pellets.

dear Beatrix potter,--there is a lot of information on these two websites,-it will help http://www.medirabbit.com and http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Awww thanks that was thoughtful of you :)

She's ok....she's in a horrible indoor cage during the day still, which we don't think was probably helping with her mobility as we've now moved her indoor run inside now as well so we can leave her out for the whole night as opposed to 3-5 hours in the evening when we gave her half the kitchen, but had to hang around due to the cats also having access. But we think she seems better on her back legs now so I suspect having longer to exercise is benefiting her.

She is not at all happy being cleaned up, she has started curling herself up like a hedgehog (!) and nipping me :( Not hard just gentle little nips telling me she's not happy.

Just hard work at the moment with her eye due to the mxyi, and her back end/legs getting dirty. Plus constantly having to wash the old duvet cover we have on the floor of her run as she doesn't seem to go in her tray much for wee's :(

How is your Rudey?

I have a soft spot for Spudsey, you gotta admire an elderly bun who keeps soldiering on.

Rudeys in kidney failure but managing to sort of keep him on a level; I agree its hard work. He needs cleaning up to twice a day, the lounge floor is covered with all sorts of soft things - there's a full load of bunny washing pretty much every day. If he doesn't piddle on it he leaves nasty bum marks. I assume its ill formed cecos. I don't think he has much feeling in his legs, he always just lies there & poo's on the same one. His regular poo is ok. I then have to give him 7 recovery feeds every 24 hours & forage in all weathers so he at least has daily dandelions, grass & brambles. Its like gone wrong bunny hospital in my lounge. I do love him lots though which just as well

Good on Spudsey eating her pro fibre - mine stop after a couple but I have been spiking critical care with them. Like you I've tried loads of dried foods, he'll nibble some types of home dried forage but thats it.

I would say a bit of mobility and also her not eating much hay! I have spent a fortune on forage from galens but she's not a fan of all of it. She is loving readigrass at the moment and the profibre pellets, although I'm not entirely sure if there is a limit to how much she can have of each? I think she'd be quite happy just having the profibre as opposed to any other pellets.

Readigrass is high in crude protein (15%) and this can be an issue for some Rabbits with regards to excess cecotrophs. The Green Oat variety contains slightly less protein ( 11% )

https://fetch.co.uk/friendly-green-...OWZERQCShwRpW3qPpERoCeCcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is Spudsey on any medication at the moment ?

What pelleted feed do you give, just the Profibre ? Have you tried her with Fibafirst Sticks ?

https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

I have a soft spot for Spudsey, you gotta admire an elderly bun who keeps soldiering on!

Rudeys in kidney failure but managing to sort of keep him on a level; I agree its hard work. He needs cleaning up to twice a day, the lounge floor is covered with all sorts of soft things - there's a full load of bunny washing pretty much every day. If he doesn't piddle on it he leaves nasty bum marks. I assume its ill formed cecos. I don't think he has much feeling in his legs, he always just lies there & poo's on the same one. His regular poo is ok. I then have to give him 7 recovery feeds every 24 hours & forage in all weathers so he at least has daily dandelions, grass & brambles. Its like gone wrong bunny hospital in my lounge. I do love him lots though which just as well

Good on Spudsey eating her pro fibre - mine stop after a couple but I have been spiking critical care with them. Like you I've tried loads of dried foods, he'll nibble some types of home dried forage but thats it.

Yep she's a little trouper!

Omg I've been washing the quilt cover daily, a friend has just given me a couple more so at least I don't have to try and get it washed and dried every day.

Poor Rudey, and you. Sounds like you've got your work cut out there.

Readigrass is high in crude protein (15%) and this can be an issue for some Rabbits with regards to excess cecotrophs. The Green Oat variety contains slightly less protein ( 11% )

https://fetch.co.uk/friendly-green-...OWZERQCShwRpW3qPpERoCeCcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is Spudsey on any medication at the moment ?

What pelleted feed do you give, just the Profibre ? Have you tried her with Fibafirst Sticks ?

https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

Thanks Jane, I'll give the oat hay another go.

She's on metacam twice a day, I think I may have to start pencillin again at some point as she sounds a bit snuffly again.

She has profibre, two other dried pellets one being Ss and I do give her the sticks but I don't think she is too keen.

Thanks Jane, I'll give the oat hay another go.

She's on metacam twice a day, I think I may have to start pencillin again at some point as she sounds a bit snuffly again.

She has profibre, two other dried pellets one being Ss and I do give her the sticks but I don't think she is too keen.

Ordered some timothy hay and oat hay and the oat hay appears to be going down well so hopefully I will see a poop improvement! The hay I bought from the farm last time must be a bad batch of hay. I'll look at ordering some meadow hay from hay experts or somewhere similar. Have you got any suggestions for her feet?

Ordered some timothy hay and oat hay and the oat hay appears to be going down well so hopefully I will see a poop improvement! The hay I bought from the farm last time must be a bad batch of hay. I'll look at ordering some meadow hay from hay experts or somewhere similar. Have you got any suggestions for her feet?

Is it her hocks or her actual feet that are sore, or both ? Can you remind me what substrate she is kept on ? If her feet/hocks are very sore then it may be a good idea to use Vetbed covered with a cotton sheet. The Vetbed will absorb wee etc and covering it with a cotton sheet will make the contact surface less abrasive. I have found this to be very useful for sore hocks

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

Is it her hocks or her actual feet that are sore, or both ? Can you remind me what substrate she is kept on ? If her feet/hocks are very sore then it may be a good idea to use Vetbed covered with a cotton sheet. The Vetbed will absorb wee etc and covering it with a cotton sheet will make the contact surface less abrasive. I have found this to be very useful for sore hocks

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

I don't know why I mentioned feet, she does get droppings stuck on the bottom of her feet but its not causing an issue. its the inner side of her hind legs where droppings are getting stuck and fur is coming away leaving redness. She has vet bed in her cage but when she is in her run I have got a picnic blanket down as it has a waterproof side (on laminate flooring), then an old quilt cover, and then towels as these are easier to wash than having to keep washing the quilt cover. Although I noticed this morning where she has wee'd on towels its gone through to the quilt cover.

I don't know why I mentioned feet, she does get droppings stuck on the bottom of her feet but its not causing an issue. its the inner side of her hind legs where droppings are getting stuck and fur is coming away leaving redness. She has vet bed in her cage but when she is in her run I have got a picnic blanket down as it has a waterproof side (on laminate flooring), then an old quilt cover, and then towels as these are easier to wash than having to keep washing the quilt cover. Although I noticed this morning where she has wee'd on towels its gone through to the quilt cover.

Derbymed SCP can be used on urine scald too. But do check with your Vet first :)

Back