• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly rabbit hind leg soiling

Spudsey is regularly getting in a mess with soiling to her hind legs, can anyone suggest what I can do to prevent this? I'm having to clean her up at least once a day with either a pet wipe or cotton wool in warm water, depending on how much time I have. I then whack some cream on them to try and stop any soreness
dear beatrix potter,is there something wrong with spudsey,s mechanics-normally a rabbit raises its bum/tail to pee.??-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Hi Beatrix Potter

Is it poo or pee that Spudsey is getting soiled with?

My Dexter doesn't eat hay which is a massive problem, so need to give him fibreplex and high fibre-content pellets to stop his poo's from getting too wet and stuck. However there was a very long period where he kept peeing himself, and like you, I had to wash him every day (he got really bad scalding). I did a blood test on him and it turned out there was a problem with his liver. The vets prescribed him Samylin supplements, which helped to normalise his liver and he's largely stopped wetting himself.

In your case though, it may be that Spudsey's got mobility problems (arthritis?) but thought I'd share the Samylin supplement story with you.

Thanks

Hi Beatrix Potter

Is it poo or pee that Spudsey is getting soiled with?

My Dexter doesn't eat hay which is a massive problem, so need to give him fibreplex and high fibre-content pellets to stop his poo's from getting too wet and stuck. However there was a very long period where he kept peeing himself, and like you, I had to wash him every day (he got really bad scalding). I did a blood test on him and it turned out there was a problem with his liver. The vets prescribed him Samylin supplements, which helped to normalise his liver and he's largely stopped wetting himself.

In your case though, it may be that Spudsey's got mobility problems (arthritis?) but thought I'd share the Samylin supplement story with you.

Thanks

Poo! She's been in her run from Friday night to Monday morning as we're at home and she was spotlessly clean! Not sure if thats because she's now eating some hay (haven't spotted her eating it but droppings look much better) or that its also because she's in her run as opposed to cage so has more room so not restricted. Will see later as shes currently in cage, moved her tray so she has a little more hopping space but damn things are far too small :(

Poo! She's been in her run from Friday night to Monday morning as we're at home and she was spotlessly clean! Not sure if thats because she's now eating some hay (haven't spotted her eating it but droppings look much better) or that its also because she's in her run as opposed to cage so has more room so not restricted. Will see later as shes currently in cage, moved her tray so she has a little more hopping space but damn things are far too small :(

I bet its the hay! I reckon it will have allowed her gut flora to balance out, improve her cecum health etc etc

Winner winner, packed lunch for dinner. I love a Spudsey update

I bet its the hay! I reckon it will have allowed her gut flora to balance out, improve her cecum health etc etc

Winner winner, packed lunch for dinner. I love a Spudsey update

:wave: Hope so! little tyke I bought oat hay and timothy hay but there wasn't a lot of interest, then ordered some ings hay from dust free hay company as she's snuffly again (so back with nebulising and penicillin :( ) and then she started nibbling at the original stuff! :roll:

Fingers crossed she's still lovely and clean when I get her out tonight.

Hi All :wave:

Thought I'd give you another Spudsey update :love: She hit 13 last month :shock::D but she's not in a great way :cry: she is still living in the kitchen but now permanently in a run which is sooo much better. But she is very wobbly on her feet, pretty sure vision isn't great either, still needs bathing every couple of days, in particular her feet which get filthy, and often half way up her tummy. Also constant wet tail.

She has been outside in her old run on a few occasions but only when I know she is spotlessly clean and dry. I have just ordered some F10 wound spray which will hopefully help avoid flystrike and going to use that next week and get her back outside for a bit during the day.

She's been grinding her teeth a fair bit and was convinced that it must have been her teeth, but apparently her bowel wall is very hard at the bottom end and she has been prescribed cisapride.
How she is still going I do not know!

Hi All :wave:

Thought I'd give you another Spudsey update :love: She hit 13 last month :shock::D but she's not in a great way :cry: she is still living in the kitchen but now permanently in a run which is sooo much better. But she is very wobbly on her feet, pretty sure vision isn't great either, still needs bathing every couple of days, in particular her feet which get filthy, and often half way up her tummy. Also constant wet tail.

She has been outside in her old run on a few occasions but only when I know she is spotlessly clean and dry. I have just ordered some F10 wound spray which will hopefully help avoid flystrike and going to use that next week and get her back outside for a bit during the day.

She's been grinding her teeth a fair bit and was convinced that it must have been her teeth, but apparently her bowel wall is very hard at the bottom end and she has been prescribed cisapride.
How she is still going I do not know!

awww bless her. Lots of vibes for wee little Spudsey, she's an inspiration :love:

I really hope that the Cisipride helps, the tooth grinding was probably pain related so hopefully she is on analgesia too ?? I cant remember if she was already on daily Metacam ?

When you put her in the outdoor run you could cover it all with Mozzie Netting to try to minimise the risk of any flies getting on to her. If she would allow you to clip her belly fur and the fur under her tail and around her bum that may help with keeping her as clean and dry as possible. I hope she will be able to remain as comfortable as possible, bless her :love:

I really hope that the Cisipride helps, the tooth grinding was probably pain related so hopefully she is on analgesia too ?? I cant remember if she was already on daily Metacam ?

When you put her in the outdoor run you could cover it all with Mozzie Netting to try to minimise the risk of any flies getting on to her. If she would allow you to clip her belly fur and the fur under her tail and around her bum that may help with keeping her as clean and dry as possible. I hope she will be able to remain as comfortable as possible, bless her :love:

Hi Jane :wave:

Still on metacam twice a day. She is happily taking the cisapride directly from the syringe which is good, but we're now on day 5 and she is still grinding away. She's not eating all her veg straightaway now in the morning, but I feed her grass/dandelions/sticky grass/bindweed and whatever else I can lay my hands on in the back garden during the day, and last night I grabbed some bramble leaves from the allotment which I will do again tonight. She's been eating these all fine.

Other half was going to order me some fly protection :roll: but I've just remembered I have a couple of bags of mozzie protection netting that I got absolutely ages ago so they will do just fine. F10 wound spray arrived this morning, although with two cats I am a little paranoid about using it but I will just have to be very careful with it being toxic to them.

Simon did a clip around tail last week and her tummy fur has practically gone now due to constantly having droppings stuck in it and then removed :cry: She still gets a weepy eye as well due to the dermal myxi damaging it last year so she has a bald patch around that as well. Certainly in the wars!

Back