Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlie (goat) needs a dental

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Thankyou everyone

I donít think itís particularly common because not too many people have goats. Luckily this vet is goat savvy but Iím still worried.

Iíve got an XXL dog crate set up ready in the boot of my car for him. Heís only a small Pygmy goat so I will be able to lift him in easily.
    Awh he's in good hands then

Haha I hope he's cooperative in the car x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Aww poor Charlie Sending millions of vibes for his dental tomorrow. I'm glad you've got a savvy vet looking after him, even though it's still hard not to worry when they have to undergo any kind of procedure.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Awh he's in good hands then

Haha I hope he's cooperative in the car x

I’m sure he will be ok but I’m still worried. He’s a really good boy so he should be ok

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Thankyou so much for the vibes everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Iím sure he will be ok but Iím still worried. Heís a really good boy so he should be ok
    Yea he's got the best care with you and a goat savvy vet, I get it though, I worry about the buns even though my Vet is excellent with them, it's always such a worry x

Wise Old Thumper

Hope everything goes well tomorrow for Charlie. X

Sending vibes for Charlie's dental.x

dentals in goats are not common at all. Weíve had over 20 goats over the years and only 1 got a dental. She was sedated at home and the horse dentist did her teeth as she had the best equipment. You need to be very careful as goats are ruminants and regurgitate easily. We had a goat sedated for x- rays and had to starve her overnight. For Walnut, who got the dental, she was sedated but after the vet left she started to breath hold and I had to keep nudging her to breathe, whilst calling the vet to come back and see to her. It was very scary.
    I would make sure your vet has looked into sedation carefully and has the right equipment to do the dental, a horse gag is much too big to hold the mouth open so it is quite a task.
    Good luck and I hope itís not an ongoing issue.
    www.halfpenny-farm.co.uk

Please consider donating towards our running costs, more info here

Quote Originally Posted by halfpenny View Post
    dentals in goats are not common at all. We’ve had over 20 goats over the years and only 1 got a dental. She was sedated at home and the horse dentist did her teeth as she had the best equipment. You need to be very careful as goats are ruminants and regurgitate easily. We had a goat sedated for x- rays and had to starve her overnight. For Walnut, who got the dental, she was sedated but after the vet left she started to breath hold and I had to keep nudging her to breathe, whilst calling the vet to come back and see to her. It was very scary.
    I would make sure your vet has looked into sedation carefully and has the right equipment to do the dental, a horse gag is much too big to hold the mouth open so it is quite a task.
    Good luck and I hope it’s not an ongoing issue.
    Thankyou for the advice his jaw is misaligned slightly which has caused the issue, he’s only 3. He was sedated as a kid by this same vet for castration, he also castrated the adult billy goat (Charlie’s father) I feel confident in the vet but obviously I’m still very worried, but I have no alternative other than euthanasia which I would not consider as he’s a much loved pet.

I think it might be an ongoing issue with the misaligned jaw but only time will tell ......

I have to drop him off and leave him

Sending vibes xxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES