• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlie (goat) needs a dental

Zoobec

Staff member
Charlie wasn’t himself yesterday and I noticed he wasn’t eating much hay. I’ve had the vet out and he needs a dental, he’s got a loose tooth and some sharp spurs due to misalignment. I’ve got to take him into the vets tomorrow for it to be done under sedation. Please can we have some vibes? I’m really worried about him :cry:

Charlie wasn’t himself yesterday and I noticed he wasn’t eating much hay. I’ve had the vet out and he needs a dental, he’s got a loose tooth and some sharp spurs due to misalignment. I’ve got to take him into the vets tomorrow for it to be done under sedation. Please can we have some vibes? I’m really worried about him :cry:

Oh no, poor fella :cry: I hope all will go well when he has his Dental xx

Oh poor Charlie :( hope it goes well for him, is it quite a common thing for goats to have done?

Hope you don't mind me asking but how do you transport a goat to the vets? [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Poor Charlie :( Is this a common problem for goats? Sending him loads of vibes and I really hope all goes well for him tomorrow. Sedation rather than GA?

Oh poor Charlie :( hope it goes well for him, is it quite a common thing for goats to have done?

Hope you don't mind me asking but how do you transport a goat to the vets? [emoji38]

Thankyou everyone :love:

I don’t think it’s particularly common because not too many people have goats. Luckily this vet is goat savvy but I’m still worried.

I’ve got an XXL dog crate set up ready in the boot of my car for him. He’s only a small Pygmy goat so I will be able to lift him in easily.

Poor Charlie :( Is this a common problem for goats? Sending him loads of vibes and I really hope all goes well for him tomorrow. Sedation rather than GA?

I’m not sure how common it is tbh. Yes it’s a heavy sedation rather than GA because it’s safer for goats.

Thankyou for the vibes :love:

Thankyou everyone :love:

I don’t think it’s particularly common because not too many people have goats. Luckily this vet is goat savvy but I’m still worried.

I’ve got an XXL dog crate set up ready in the boot of my car for him. He’s only a small Pygmy goat so I will be able to lift him in easily.

Awh he's in good hands then :)

Haha I hope he's cooperative in the car x

Aww poor Charlie [emoji17] Sending millions of vibes for his dental tomorrow. I'm glad you've got a savvy vet looking after him, even though it's still hard not to worry when they have to undergo any kind of procedure.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I’m sure he will be ok but I’m still worried. He’s a really good boy so he should be ok :love:

Yea he's got the best care with you and a goat savvy vet, I get it though, I worry about the buns even though my Vet is excellent with them, it's always such a worry x

dentals in goats are not common at all. We’ve had over 20 goats over the years and only 1 got a dental. She was sedated at home and the horse dentist did her teeth as she had the best equipment. You need to be very careful as goats are ruminants and regurgitate easily. We had a goat sedated for x- rays and had to starve her overnight. For Walnut, who got the dental, she was sedated but after the vet left she started to breath hold and I had to keep nudging her to breathe, whilst calling the vet to come back and see to her. It was very scary.
I would make sure your vet has looked into sedation carefully and has the right equipment to do the dental, a horse gag is much too big to hold the mouth open so it is quite a task.
Good luck and I hope it’s not an ongoing issue.

dentals in goats are not common at all. We’ve had over 20 goats over the years and only 1 got a dental. She was sedated at home and the horse dentist did her teeth as she had the best equipment. You need to be very careful as goats are ruminants and regurgitate easily. We had a goat sedated for x- rays and had to starve her overnight. For Walnut, who got the dental, she was sedated but after the vet left she started to breath hold and I had to keep nudging her to breathe, whilst calling the vet to come back and see to her. It was very scary.
I would make sure your vet has looked into sedation carefully and has the right equipment to do the dental, a horse gag is much too big to hold the mouth open so it is quite a task.
Good luck and I hope it’s not an ongoing issue.

Thankyou for the advice :love: his jaw is misaligned slightly which has caused the issue, he’s only 3. He was sedated as a kid by this same vet for castration, he also castrated the adult billy goat (Charlie’s father) I feel confident in the vet but obviously I’m still very worried, but I have no alternative other than euthanasia which I would not consider as he’s a much loved pet.

I think it might be an ongoing issue with the misaligned jaw but only time will tell ......

I have to drop him off and leave him :cry:

Back