• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlie (goat) needs a dental

Syringe feeding him the energy syrup was fun :lol: he took it I his mouth ok but then shook his head a bit and we both got covered in it :lol: he’s got some in his beard too :lol: He’s eaten an extra portion of goat mix which I gave him on his own, and then his usual tea of goat mix and chopped dried grass at the same time as the others, as they were desperate to get back in and see him. He’s eating hay now. I feel so relieved!

Pleased he seems ok. Will he need future dentals?

Thanks :D We aren’t sure but I’ll need to keep a close eye on him and his eating, particularly his hay eating. The fact that his back teeth weren’t as misaligned as the vet thought at first is a good thing though.

Syringe feeding him the energy syrup was fun :lol: he took it I his mouth ok but then shook his head a bit and we both got covered in it :lol: he’s got some in his beard too :lol: He’s eaten an extra portion of goat mix which I gave him on his own, and then his usual tea of goat mix and chopped dried grass at the same time as the others, as they were desperate to get back in and see him. He’s eating hay now. I feel so relieved!

A job well done, as they say :) Does he have to have more of the energy syrup?

It sounds as though he's bounced back very well.

A job well done, as they say :) Does he have to have more of the energy syrup?

It sounds as though he's bounced back very well.

Yes! He’s supposed to have 30ml morning and evening. It’s bright red and very gloopy. It tastes a bit sweet so I might see if he will eat it mixed in with goat mix, which is like an open muesli type food. Saves stressing him out! I’ve got a litre of it so if I waste a dose it won’t matter too much :lol:

Hope Charlie had a good night, and is chomping his hay like a good little goat :) any of that energy syrup going spare, I could do with a dose of that ! :lol:

How's RU's favourite tiny goat this morning? I hope you find a way to get him to take the energy drink.

Thankyou for asking after him :love: I think he slept more than I did :lol: I kept looking in on him on cam, he wasn’t his usual self, at times he was just stood not chewing cud or sleeping but I think he was just tired out with the days antics and the afternoon of stuffing his face :lol:

This morning I gave him the energy syrup by syringe as I read that it’s difficult to disguise in food, and I don’t want to put him off the food.

He is such a good boy for handling and let me syringe it but he clearly hates it and I hated giving it to him as it makes him writhe and almost wretch :cry: I’m going to call the vet and ask him if he really needs it and if I can mix it with anything to help.

He’s eating hay and his usual food well so I am a lot happier:love:

Thankyou for asking after him :love: I think he slept more than I did [emoji38] I kept looking in on him on cam, he wasn’t his usual self, at times he was just stood not chewing cud or sleeping but I think he was just tired out with the days antics and the afternoon of stuffing his face [emoji38]

This morning I gave him the energy syrup by syringe as I read that it’s difficult to disguise in food, and I don’t want to put him off the food.

He is such a good boy for handling and let me syringe it but he clearly hates it and I hated giving it to him as it makes him writhe and almost wretch :cry: I’m going to call the vet and ask him if he really needs it and if I can mix it with anything to help.

He’s eating hay and his usual food well so I am a lot happier:love:
Bless him, so glad he's doing well, not surprised he slept more, was quite a day for him. It does all sound really positive though, hopefully for Charlie's sake the vet will say he doesn't need another dose tonight
I’ll hand out doses of the drink if anyone wants any [emoji38]
I'll pass on that one [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I’m sure Charlie would love to hand it out to you all :lol: he’s a lot more normal now, I’ve seen him chewing his cud in perfect unison, laid down with mummy Pickle :love:

I spoke to the vet and he said he’s got to have the liquid until he’s eating completely normally. He’s not eating hay in a normal quantity yet so I’ve got to carry on. I suggested mixing with molasses which he says might work, so I’ve ordered some for delivery tomorrow and I’m going to see if they have some in Asda, black treacle will work for tonight and tomorrow morning I suppose!

Back