• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

teeth

zahra

Young Bun
Hello everybody :wave:I have heard that an adult rabbit has 28 teeth. :shock: At what age do rabbit teeth become full? My rabbit is about one year old but I think I only see the big front row teeth in his mouth!

The back teeth are right at the back so you can't see them. There are diagrams of their teeth on line if you look it up.

The back teeth are right at the back so you can't see them. There are diagrams of their teeth on line if you look it up.

aaah that's right wow :shock: so if his main food is dry hay , then can i be sure that his back teeth are Ok and not over grown? (he eats other things as well but i mean as main food he eats dry hay)

Yes, I always assume if a rabbit eats lots of hay then this is ensuring his molars are being kept in good condition and as long as he is eating everything you give him then there should be nothing to worry about.

Or if he is fortunate to have access to grass then this is as good if not better than hay. It is obviously more palatable than hay and it helps keep the rabbit hydrated. When they eat hay/grass they use a different motion with their back teeth as opposed to when they eat pellets or veg. This is what keeps the molars worn down.

Yes, I always assume if a rabbit eats lots of hay then this is ensuring his molars are being kept in good condition and as long as he is eating everything you give him then there should be nothing to worry about.

very nice tips, thank you :love:

Teeth wear is through food (hay / grass) but also the grinding bunnies do when not eating (I'm assuming this is why my Rudey's teeth are ok despite negligible hay / grass consumption over many months). A hay eating bunny is worth their weight in gold

Teeth wear is through food (hay / grass) but also the grinding bunnies do when not eating (I'm assuming this is why my Rudey's teeth are ok despite negligible hay / grass consumption over many months). A hay eating bunny is worth their weight in gold

thanks for contribution :love:

Back