• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ori still isn't 'himself'

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
ofc I come back and the second post is bad news :oops:

woke up yesterday (saturday) around 7am with the intention to say good morning, top up their hay, and go back to bed. unfortunately a certain bunny was lying pancaked in their dig box, refusing to move, so I knew enough. no treats tempted him. offered the usual of some warm water and infacol, and a heat pad, and monitored. there had been no change by 9am, so I called my vet. they said to bring him in, so I did.

unfortunately my usual rabbit savvy vet wasn't on, and this vet isn't rabbit confident nor knowledgeable. she knows eating = bad, but she isn't happy handling them nor really picking up on any causes. not ideal I know, but I can't be picky. what matters is that she can offer medication to hopefully get him back on track. she checked his teeth but had no idea if what she saw was normal, but theres no obvious ulcers or sores. he was given an injection of metacam and emeprid at the time.

I get home, Orion doesn't even attempt to eat or use the litter tray until 4:15pm. after that we seemed to go upwards, he had another dose of emeprid at around 7pm. he got excited for forage and pellet, and when he heard the treat jar, but spent a lot of time lying down. not my usual sassy bouncing off the walls rabbit.

he is eating, and he is eating hay, but he's just not eating as much as usual. his poops are very small and dark. he seems to almost be 'straining' to poop as I watched him, and he was in the position to poop for a long time (he peed just fine). he also doesn't want to reach for his hay, preferring to eat that in the litter tray, bowl, or forage roller (the hay rack isn't that high off of the ground either). he seems to prefer softer foods admittedly, with eating the critical care, baby food, and fruit I've offered (along with herbs) like no tomorrow. he does still eat hay though, but turns down the fenugreeks, SS naturals loops. he ate his pellet, but much slower than usual.

this morning we went back a step, very subdued, no food at all, but after metacam and emeprid he bounced back up again (but still not 100%). he is tucking into the hay roller, and forage+hay ball bowl I provided. I'm about to offer him a bowl of critical care with baby food (tbh, I'm a bit jealous, the baby food tastes quite nice).

I would guess its his teeth, but he doesn't obviously want to fit the status quo for how that should be! :lol:

any spare vibes would be appreciated :loved: I have an appointment on Tuesday for Luna, but they asked me to call them Monday (tomorrow) to give an update. I imagine if he still isn't himself they'll ask me to go in. a bit stressful as I have a medical appt myself, but I'll have to fit it in somehow.

Poor Ori :cry: When you mentioned him not wanting to eat hay from his hay rack I am wondering if back/neck pain may be the primary problem.As you know, a Rabbit in pain wont eat and not eating causes the GI tract to shut down. I would try to get your trusted Vet to examine him if you have to take him back, to see he/she can detect any signs of spinal pain.

Sending vibes for him xx

ofc I come back and the second post is bad news :oops:

woke up yesterday (saturday) around 7am with the intention to say good morning, top up their hay, and go back to bed. unfortunately a certain bunny was lying pancaked in their dig box, refusing to move, so I knew enough. no treats tempted him. offered the usual of some warm water and infacol, and a heat pad, and monitored. there had been no change by 9am, so I called my vet. they said to bring him in, so I did.

unfortunately my usual rabbit savvy vet wasn't on, and this vet isn't rabbit confident nor knowledgeable. she knows eating = bad, but she isn't happy handling them nor really picking up on any causes. not ideal I know, but I can't be picky. what matters is that she can offer medication to hopefully get him back on track. she checked his teeth but had no idea if what she saw was normal, but theres no obvious ulcers or sores. he was given an injection of metacam and emeprid at the time.

I get home, Orion doesn't even attempt to eat or use the litter tray until 4:15pm. after that we seemed to go upwards, he had another dose of emeprid at around 7pm. he got excited for forage and pellet, and when he heard the treat jar, but spent a lot of time lying down. not my usual sassy bouncing off the walls rabbit.

he is eating, and he is eating hay, but he's just not eating as much as usual. his poops are very small and dark. he seems to almost be 'straining' to poop as I watched him, and he was in the position to poop for a long time (he peed just fine). he also doesn't want to reach for his hay, preferring to eat that in the litter tray, bowl, or forage roller (the hay rack isn't that high off of the ground either). he seems to prefer softer foods admittedly, with eating the critical care, baby food, and fruit I've offered (along with herbs) like no tomorrow. he does still eat hay though, but turns down the fenugreeks, SS naturals loops. he ate his pellet, but much slower than usual.

this morning we went back a step, very subdued, no food at all, but after metacam and emeprid he bounced back up again (but still not 100%). he is tucking into the hay roller, and forage+hay ball bowl I provided. I'm about to offer him a bowl of critical care with baby food (tbh, I'm a bit jealous, the baby food tastes quite nice).

I would guess its his teeth, but he doesn't obviously want to fit the status quo for how that should be! :lol:

any spare vibes would be appreciated :loved: I have an appointment on Tuesday for Luna, but they asked me to call them Monday (tomorrow) to give an update. I imagine if he still isn't himself they'll ask me to go in. a bit stressful as I have a medical appt myself, but I'll have to fit it in somehow.
dear binkycodie,-lots of love vibs for ori,.-I agree with jakes-jane,-you might listen to his jaw area,rabbits will grind their teeth/perhaps severely--a little grind,soft,gentle-is love-you will know the difference.-the meds already given may mask a little pain,and keep the gitract going-[for awhile]-dosage?-binkies can be harmful,but generally if they are suddenly surprised,and jump for their life/death-[situation]--they can damage the spine-usually fatally..-the position you found him [flat down]-was most likely a comfortable position-[back/spinal-trama].-for humans we lay flat on our backs generally with knees elevated-to reduce pressure on the spine.-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Poor Orion :( sending lots of vibes for him, I hope your normal vet can figure out what's wrong x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Poor Ori :cry: When you mentioned him not wanting to eat hay from his hay rack I am wondering if back/neck pain may be the primary problem.As you know, a Rabbit in pain wont eat and not eating causes the GI tract to shut down. I would try to get your trusted Vet to examine him if you have to take him back, to see he/she can detect any signs of spinal pain.

Sending vibes for him xx

This would also be my advice. Ori is a Rex isn't he? It's unusual for a Rex to get teeth problems as they haven't got the jaw shape of a Lop or a Nethie for example. Also you observed that 'he doesn't want to reach for his hay', which could also indicate a skeletal problem.

Sending him lots of vibes.

Did vet give medicam to give at home? Jane is right about not eating due to pain.
Did vet give fluids to help soften contents of gi system so easier to pass poo?

Sending positive vibes.

thank you for your vibes :love: he's been alright this afternoon and has had his second dose of emeprid, along with metacam. he seems to worsen when the metacam has worn off..

hm, I hadn't considered something with his spine or similar. I'm going to keep that in mind. he did actually completely flip out when given the injections (jumped and then panicked run) - wasn't that the vet did them wrong/poorly (or not that I can tell from my pov! but I am not a vet), but it seemed to cause him a great deal of pain. now that I link that together, interesting. I was holding him steady the entire time as the vet wasn't confident in handling, which I'd rather over her handling him wrong (as she isn't confident) and injuring him, so I had a good view when he was given the injections.

they asked me to call Monday to inform them of how he is, so I'll be doing that. if my usual vet isn't on, I think I won't go and I'll see if I can wait until Tuesday (appt for Luna but, they'll see him too). usual vet is the only real rabbit savvy one, so I think it would be a wasted trip + stress for them honestly. I feel most confident with my usual vet examining him, and finding the issue, over anybody else.

he is a rex yes - and I picked him for his very specific triangle face to try to minimise dental issues :lol: I went through that with Snoopy (he was very rounded despite being a rex) and I learned my lesson I suppose.

I have metacam at home (and a dose for him) due to Luna's arthritis, so much to his joy he's been getting a dose too. he is always most upset that Luna gets something that he isn't. I also have emeprid which I was instructed to give for Sunday, but since theres some left and there's still an issue, I'll keep giving him some until Tuesday I imagine.

he wasn't given any fluids, as he wasn't dehydrated, but also due to how much he freaked out during the two injections he was given. we didn't want to cause further stress nor risk when she isn't confident, and he isn't well.

Last edited:
dear binkycodie,-exotic dvm,s are too few and far between.-a good one is worth their weight in gold.-the second dose of metacam[mg.?]-is working to reduce pain,try to reduce-activities reaching,running etc.-the the damage may only be slight,but painful.keep grasses,water,pellets,vegy treats very close.-this could be a time thing for healing.-maybe the experienced exotic dvm will take a full photograph[xray]-and elaborate findings-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa-:love::wave:ps watch the poops:love:

Last edited:
With some bunnies I would split medicam into two smaller 12 hour doses when an individual was regressing a few hhours before next dose when on a 24 hour dose and schedule.
Sending more healing vibes.

With some bunnies I would split medicam into two smaller 12 hour doses when an individual was regressing a few hhours before next dose when on a 24 hour dose and schedule.
Sending more healing vibes.

I agree .Giving Meloxicam in 2 x 12 hourly doses is usually more beneficial as Rabbits have a high excretion rate of Meloxicam. 24 hourly dosing may not give 24 hour analgesia. Do check with your Vet first though :)

he seems to be doing okay on the 24 hour dose currently, but she said we can look at doing two 12 hour doses if necessary.

unfortunately for Orion, his tummy is rather full, so its not emptying as it should. its not a blockage or impacted, not yet anyway, thankfully. his back teeth look a tad long, but not enough to be causing issues, so it really seems like its his tummy causing him pain. she couldn't find any issue with his spine or neck, but he's also seemed to 180 on that issue by today. she did mention at his vacs in January that his tummy felt rather full, but he had also been munching away, so we didn't really think it was anything sinister, I suppose it was :( what is in his stomach is still rather soft, so can be passed, but the longer we leave it the more likely its going to build up and become a blockage, or get impacted. IF he responds to treatment, and then picks back up on his hay eating, his teeth might right themselves again. but otherwise we're looking at a dental in the near future too for the poor guy.

so he's on a stronger gut stimulant, along with the metacam, and we'll review where we are on Saturday - Luna is back for acupuncture then also. if he hasn't improved then we may have to look at more invasive options. but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

thank you for all your vibes xx I'm really hoping he starts to feel himself soon, he's sulking for sure.

I just hope he doesn't turn on Luna, he's been a bit aggressive with her (had a nasty chase yesterday that I had to split), but I can only guess its due to pain. I'd hate to separate them, so we'll just have to hope and see. they're snuggled up together now. I'm keeping a close eye on them.

he seems to be doing okay on the 24 hour dose currently, but she said we can look at doing two 12 hour doses if necessary.

unfortunately for Orion, his tummy is rather full, so its not emptying as it should. its not a blockage or impacted, not yet anyway, thankfully. his back teeth look a tad long, but not enough to be causing issues, so it really seems like its his tummy causing him pain. she couldn't find any issue with his spine or neck, but he's also seemed to 180 on that issue by today. she did mention at his vacs in January that his tummy felt rather full, but he had also been munching away, so we didn't really think it was anything sinister, I suppose it was :( what is in his stomach is still rather soft, so can be passed, but the longer we leave it the more likely its going to build up and become a blockage, or get impacted. IF he responds to treatment, and then picks back up on his hay eating, his teeth might right themselves again. but otherwise we're looking at a dental in the near future too for the poor guy.

so he's on a stronger gut stimulant, along with the metacam, and we'll review where we are on Saturday - Luna is back for acupuncture then also. if he hasn't improved then we may have to look at more invasive options. but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

thank you for all your vibes xx I'm really hoping he starts to feel himself soon, he's sulking for sure.

I just hope he doesn't turn on Luna, he's been a bit aggressive with her (had a nasty chase yesterday that I had to split), but I can only guess its due to pain. I'd hate to separate them, so we'll just have to hope and see. they're snuggled up together now. I'm keeping a close eye on them.
Oh I'm sorry :( Atticus was given lactulose for his full gut, and it really seemed to help after a few days, he was on that and emeprid and cisapride.. But honestly I think it was the lactulose that caused the explosion that cleared it all [emoji38][emoji51] gross but it did the trick. He was very uncomfortable too, was on very high doses of painkillers and fluids every hour. Just thought I'd mention it. Sending lots of vibes for Orion.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

thank you both xx

that's interesting to know Graciee, if it persists I'll ask about it. he's on cisaprid right now, as its a stronger medicine than emeprid, so he also needs less of it. I'm really struggling to get the emeprid into him and its such a large dose (+ its potent mint flavour, god, it attacks your nostrils as soon as you open the bottle :lol:) that she said call it quits for the moment. it only stresses him out having to burrito him, at least this he takes easier and its done within a second, the emeprid took a couple of minutes :/ don't want to cause further issues rn.

Orion has improved, he isn't back to normal imo, but we're a world ahead compared to how he was acting a few days ago. his poops are still a bit abnormal, but not small like they were. Ori is eating well and seems more lively (altho still wishes to hide away, unusual for him)

my vet saw him today, his stomach is a lot less full, but its still a bit fuller and doughy than she would expect. it could also be caused by moulting, as both look like they've stuck their toe in an electrical socket. I try to groom them but both of them despise it, and its stressful for us all, so its a bit tricky!

he had some acupuncture to maybe help with his stomach and with his back (due to hunching over, he's seemed to have created a sore spot).

so fingers crossed he continues to improve!!

Back