• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fred and Susan

Fred will make someone a wonderful husbunny but not Susan. Today he went back to the RSPCA. He really never settled here, thumping everytime OH was near him, boxing OH and charging the cats if they went through the dining room.
We had set up Fred and Susan in the kitchen with a wire fence between them. They were there for over 2 weeks but is Susan moved Fred charged at her. The worst thing was we came home one day and found a massive amount of fur and poor Susan was injured. She has ripped ears and at the back of her neck.

Move on a week and the RSPCA have him back, I am really grateful to Jo for taking him, he would have stayed here till she had room.

Susan is back in her old house and is healing nicely now but it has really kicked our confidence. Whilst others might have chosen a different route for us Fred wasnt happy here. )He and I were fine just everyone else, in fact he was becoming a snuggle bunny with me) and he deserved somebunny different who could make him happy.

Sorry to read this update and sad that it didn't work out for you all but I think that you did what was best for both bunnies xx

I am very sorry to read this update :( I would have made the same decision and indeed I did when I attempted to bond Tethra with other bunnies before we adopted Tui. I think you get to the stage when you know it's not going to work and of course rabbit aggression can cause some horrible injuries. All of the bunnies involved need to feel happy about the situation. Fred will find another home and there will be a wonderful bunny somewhere waiting for Susan.

Sending lots and lots of hugs.

I'm really sorry it didn't work out [emoji17]

I agree that it sounds as though you've made the right decision for everyone, even though I can imagine it would have been incredibly difficult. Ultimately everyone needs to feel happy and comfortable in each other's company and sometimes, despite your best efforts, it just doesn't work out.

I agree with Omi that you just know if it isn't going to work out and so the kindest thing to do is to let Fred have another chance in a different home where he will settle better rather than trying to force him into a bond where neither bunny is happy.

Lots of hugs, I'm sure this has been very difficult for you and I'm not surprised your confidence has taken a knock. Nose rubs for Susan too and I hope she is feeling better soon x

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thank you all, I think has lost some of her confidence in us too. Dilly was her confidence and she is even more lost without him. We need to build her confidence and let her wounds heal. Then I dont know what to do.

I’m so sorry it didn’t work out, but it sounds like you have made the best decision for everybun. It must be so hard :cry: sending lots of hugs xx

This has made me shed some tears reading this. Tears for you, tears for Susan and also Fred because he’s been thro a lot and it’s no ones fault that he hasn’t been able to bond.
It really pulls at my heart when I read of bonds not working because it’s not thro lack of trying or patience. It’s such a wrenching decision to return a bun and it’s never a decision taken lightly. I totally respect your courage and it must have been so hard to do.
Deep down it sounds like Fred has some emotional issues from his past - things you’ll never know. But the fight with Susan is clearly not something that is acceptable and you have protected and supported Susans wellbeing - physical and mental.
Sending huge hugs to you - it’s hard but also very brave. For Fred, it’s time to move on and perhaps he us just a solo snuggle bun. But there’s also a bun out there for Susan. I am sure of it.
Gentle nose rubs to Susan and hope she heals quickly and regains her confidence.xx

Back