• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help ?Flystrike

Hey, so I have been incredibly lucky to never have a bun with flystrike and am not sure if I am over worrying about nothing or if this is vet time. I know better to be safe than sorry but unfortunately not in a position to pay vets if it's absolutely nothing :-(
Every time Google flystrike, pics come up that don't look like this, yet I can't find out if it's anything else?!
Please help, I am in need of some reassurance or urgency.
Thanks in advance x

0eQapdvERHu04s33qe1Ku1g7g27EuJYwPvmUYqgSVxU

Hey, so I have been incredibly lucky to never have a bun with flystrike and am not sure if I am over worrying about nothing or if this is vet time. I know better to be safe than sorry but unfortunately not in a position to pay vets if it's absolutely nothing :-(
Every time Google flystrike, pics come up that don't look like this, yet I can't find out if it's anything else?!
Please help, I am in need of some reassurance or urgency.
Thanks in advance x
Hi there :)

Upload the image to imgur, amazon photos won't work on here I don't think.

What's your buns symptoms? Can you describe what happened?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yes sorry can't see your imagine. I had a guinea pig with flystrike and I saw the fly move away from her so very recent/had just laid eggs, they were tiny white specs/like very small rice grains. I rushed her to the vet and she just survived as they were able to remove all the eggs/treat her for shock.

Oh bless you Thank you! What am I doing wrong? Seems something but following the Forums instructions.
Thanks for doing for me though x

Its just at the bottom of his left ear on top of his back. He lives with 2 others and all are vaccinated, although lapsed by a month as couldn't get appointment at vets.

Oh bless you Thank you! What am I doing wrong? Seems something but following the Forums instructions.
Thanks for doing for me though x
Don't worry it's a little weird the upload process [emoji38] there's some instructions I wrote, where I tried to make it as easy as possible to follow but tbh the process is just a bit mad [emoji38]

The only thing I can say is the url that needs to be posted within the tags needs to be from right clicking on your uploaded image in imgur, and clicking copy image address - this however only works on a computer! So if you're using the imgur app on your mobile or ipad it won't work. The easiest way via mobile to upload images is to download the app Tapatalk, access the forum via that, and you can upload through that app and browse and chat using the app too - much easier and intuitive [emoji38]

Its just at the bottom of his left ear on top of his back. He lives with 2 others and all are vaccinated, although lapsed by a month as couldn't get appointment at vets.

Are they all neutered? Wondering if there's been a slight falling out?

Tbh if they're all due their vaccinations, I'd book him in for that, and whilst you're there get their opinion, they do a health check normally so would spot it/you can mention it and it shouldn't cost any extra :)

Just to confirm they've all had both vaccinations? The combined RHD1 and mixi vaccination and the separate RHD2 vaccination? :)

Have they recently had their vaccinations? If so and if this is close to the vaccination site, it 'could' be just a reaction.

Yep all neutered and one spayed. They have had a falling out before and he had a little nibble from his ear, but they are so much more good together than they would fight.
I think you are right about getting vet to check when they do vaccinations done...glad its not leaping out to anyone like flystrike for now though. And yes we get the additional new vacc done too

It doesn't look like flystrike to me. At this time of year, there are not many flies around - bluebottles are the worst, as it's too cold (and in some cases too wet). Flies are more prevelant from about late March/April onwards depending on weather. Usually you will find small white eggs - look like very tiny grains of rice close together.
Hope this helps
Craig

That's what I thought too, but was worried I had missed something maybe.

Thanks so much everyone, you have definitely helped reassure and won't be too long now until vets sees him anyway so I won't be too worried until then :)
Thanks x

Back