• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bertie not eating episodes

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Bertie was at the vet on Tuesday. He was off his pellets but eating fresh herbs and his dried herbal mix. He was given ranitidine and fibreplex. Back to hoovering everything in sight by lunchtime. He was fine and on Wednesday but off his food completely on Thursday morning. Then he started eating again and seemed fine, although 'quieter' than usual. His output has been a bit loose, which I put down to ghd meds. Now he is not wanting to eat again! He was examined thoroughly by a rabbit savvy vet on Tuesday. This will sound daft as he is a house rabbit, but could the weather be upsetting him?

Bertie was at the vet on Tuesday. He was off his pellets but eating fresh herbs and his dried herbal mix. He was given ranitidine and fibreplex. Back to hoovering everything in sight by lunchtime. He was fine and on Wednesday but off his food completely on Thursday morning. Then he started eating again and seemed fine, although 'quieter' than usual. His output has been a bit loose, which I put down to ghd meds. Now he is not wanting to eat again! He was examined thoroughly by a rabbit savvy vet on Tuesday. This will sound daft as he is a house rabbit, but could the weather be upsetting him?

If it is very windy then 'yes'. Is he drinking a normal amount and is his wee output normal ?

Did the Vet mention feeling any 'fullness' of his cecum ? Reduced motility of the cecum can present with episodes of anorexia and abnormal fecal output. Sending vibes for Berie xx

[/B]

If it is very windy then 'yes'. Is he drinking a normal amount and is his wee output normal ?

Did the Vet mention feeling any 'fullness' of his cecum ? Reduced motility of the cecum can present with episodes of anorexia and abnormal fecal output. Sending vibes for Berie xx

Thanks so much for your reply at this early hour!

Wee and drinking are normal, apart from a couple of carpet dribbles that I thought might be due to the stress of me trying to catch him! The vet did not mention his caecum specifically but did mention that his stomach was 'emptier than usual for Bertie'! It is hard to decide what to do for the best. He has always been a nervous rabbit prone to being spoiled by random as well as expected things. Yesterday I was all set to take him to the vet when he suddenly started eating again - pellets, herbs, greens the lot! It really is very strange.

And yes, it is VERY windy here!

Could just be the wind, rabbits being such sensitive little souls :lol: I really hope Bertie is ok though xx

Jane made some excellent points. Even if his stomach is empty his cecum may not be doughy feeling/full.Is he on pain meds?

No pain meds. He has eaten some pellets and herbs now. He doesn't have an appointment today but I have a fibreplex prescription to collect later.

I assume his teeth are ok? Is he moulting? Is he eating cardboard or anything like that? If Frosty is moulting it sometimes slows his guts down, or if I give him any cardboard at all he eats it and it causes a gut slowdown, or complete stasis so they can’t have cardboard now!

Bertie is just at the end of a moult. He rips cardboard but doesn't eat it - he leaves all the shreddings off me to tidy up!

If his caecum isn't right

You mention he did a couple of dribbles - has he got a slight UTI? Hope he gets back to normal eating soon! X

I am monitoring this, but no issues today with wee.

He seems much better, but I have booked a provisional appointment tomorrow in case he has another bad night. I'm beginning to wonder if this mess have upset him.

How's Bertie this morning ?

Bertie has a better night. He is eating and pooing but the output is dark but well formed. The weather is awful so I am concerned that taking him to the vet to have his caecum checked could do more harm than good. He seems more relaxed and jumped on my bed to say hello this morning - first time he has done this since week. Is there a food that would help his caecum if it is upset?

I am monitoring this, but no issues today with wee.

He seems much better, but I have booked a provisional appointment tomorrow in case he has another bad night. I'm beginning to wonder if this mess have upset him.

'this mess' should be 'his meds'!

Bertie has a better night. He is eating and pooing but the output is dark but well formed. The weather is awful so I am concerned that taking him to the vet to have his caecum checked could do more harm than good. He seems more relaxed and jumped on my bed to say hello this morning - first time he has done this since week. Is there a food that would help his caecum if it is upset?

Fibre (hay, lots of it) and plenty of water. Also, remove any access to cardboard/newspaper/fabric etc. Rabbits with a sluggish cecum often crave the 'wrong' sort of fibre and will ingest lots of cardboard etc. This just makes the problem worse.

Lots of exercise will help promote good gut motility too. Also, personally I'd avoid feeding sugary/high carb foods. So no carrot/apple and not too many pellets. Basically the more hay/grass and water the better :)

Thanks Jane! He is a good hay eater and is drinking well. Unfortunately his standard bedding is newspaper and his favourite amusement is cardboard box architecture. I've never noticed him eating his toppings but will monitor this. He has never been much interested in chew mats or toys, unfortunately. I haven't tried hay cakes so maybe that might amuse him.

Does he like apple sticks? I give Frosty and Fern lots of apple sticks and they love chewing them. Also brambles are good if he likes them?

Does he like apple sticks? I give Frosty and Fern lots of apple sticks and they love chewing them. Also brambles are good if he likes them?

He likes apple sticks and hasn't had them for a while. I will order some, and also bramble leaves. Thanks! :wave:

Back