Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bertie not eating episodes

Default Bertie not eating episodes

Bertie was at the vet on Tuesday. He was off his pellets but eating fresh herbs and his dried herbal mix. He was given ranitidine and fibreplex. Back to hoovering everything in sight by lunchtime. He was fine and on Wednesday but off his food completely on Thursday morning. Then he started eating again and seemed fine, although 'quieter' than usual. His output has been a bit loose, which I put down to ghd meds. Now he is not wanting to eat again! He was examined thoroughly by a rabbit savvy vet on Tuesday. This will sound daft as he is a house rabbit, but could the weather be upsetting him?

Quote Originally Posted by susie bun View Post
    Bertie was at the vet on Tuesday. He was off his pellets but eating fresh herbs and his dried herbal mix. He was given ranitidine and fibreplex. Back to hoovering everything in sight by lunchtime. He was fine and on Wednesday but off his food completely on Thursday morning. Then he started eating again and seemed fine, although 'quieter' than usual. His output has been a bit loose, which I put down to ghd meds. Now he is not wanting to eat again! He was examined thoroughly by a rabbit savvy vet on Tuesday. This will sound daft as he is a house rabbit, but could the weather be upsetting him?

If it is very windy then 'yes'. Is he drinking a normal amount and is his wee output normal ?

Did the Vet mention feeling any 'fullness' of his cecum ? Reduced motility of the cecum can present with episodes of anorexia and abnormal fecal output. Sending vibes for Berie xx

The Black Rabbit of Inlé now comes in the invisible form of Covid 19. SELF ISOLATE to save yourself and others. Not doing so may kill you, it may kill many others too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    [/B]

If it is very windy then 'yes'. Is he drinking a normal amount and is his wee output normal ?

Did the Vet mention feeling any 'fullness' of his cecum ? Reduced motility of the cecum can present with episodes of anorexia and abnormal fecal output. Sending vibes for Berie xx
    Thanks so much for your reply at this early hour!

Wee and drinking are normal, apart from a couple of carpet dribbles that I thought might be due to the stress of me trying to catch him! The vet did not mention his caecum specifically but did mention that his stomach was 'emptier than usual for Bertie'! It is hard to decide what to do for the best. He has always been a nervous rabbit prone to being spoiled by random as well as expected things. Yesterday I was all set to take him to the vet when he suddenly started eating again - pellets, herbs, greens the lot! It really is very strange.

And yes, it is VERY windy here!

Mr B was a funny one with eating sometimes. Hope Bertie is back eating very soon. Xxx

Could just be the wind, rabbits being such sensitive little souls I really hope Bertie is ok though xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Jane made some excellent points. Even if his stomach is empty his cecum may not be doughy feeling/full.Is he on pain meds?

No pain meds. He has eaten some pellets and herbs now. He doesn't have an appointment today but I have a fibreplex prescription to collect later.

I assume his teeth are ok? Is he moulting? Is he eating cardboard or anything like that? If Frosty is moulting it sometimes slows his guts down, or if I give him any cardboard at all he eats it and it causes a gut slowdown, or complete stasis so they can’t have cardboard now!

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Bertie is just at the end of a moult. He rips cardboard but doesn't eat it - he leaves all the shreddings off me to tidy up!

If his caecum isn't right

Wise Old Thumper

You mention he did a couple of dribbles - has he got a slight UTI? Hope he gets back to normal eating soon! X