• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does he need pellets and lots of hay?

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
A couple of weeks ago Stan had a small dental but also had the possibility of being in kidney failure. We gave it our all and I think, fingers crossed we may be ok. Bloods are going to be done again once petplan pay out for this lot of treatment.

Since being ill he will not eat pellets. Hes always had excell. He will maybe once a day let you hand feed half a dozen pellets but thats it. Ive bought different ones but he wont even entertain those at all.

He is eating a tiny amount of quality hay. He wont eat his hay sticks.

But he is eating a good amount of freshly pulled grass from our lawn. He will eat a bit of readigrass daily. Hes eating dill. Wont touch any other herbs. He will eat a bit of veg but not the same every day!! He enjoys his dandilion salad which I have tried mixing with pellets, he picks it out!

Hes currently sat eating a twig from the budliea(?) butterfly bush .

He is drinking enough and weeing. His poo is the right colour and consistency but I feel a little on the small side. If I give him too many green veg we get a darker more clumpy poo so I avoid doing that.

So is he playing me like a fiddle? Am I being over protective? Does he really need pellets or am I forcing something he doesnt need.

Hes never been a sociable bun so hes his usual grumpy self.

thank you x

Is he managing to maintain his weight on his current diet? I think if I were you I would weigh him weekly.

I wouldn't be too concerned that he won't eat much hay if he's eating lots of fresh grass and also Readigrass. As far as the pellets are concerned, I think it depends on his weight. If he's struggling to maintain it, I think I would consider giving him some top-up syringe-feeds instead of the pellets.

The Buddleia twigs are good for him to graze on. I would try him on some other sticks as well.

A couple of weeks ago Stan had a small dental but also had the possibility of being in kidney failure. We gave it our all and I think, fingers crossed we may be ok. Bloods are going to be done again once petplan pay out for this lot of treatment.

Since being ill he will not eat pellets. Hes always had excell. He will maybe once a day let you hand feed half a dozen pellets but thats it. Ive bought different ones but he wont even entertain those at all.

He is eating a tiny amount of quality hay. He wont eat his hay sticks.

But he is eating a good amount of freshly pulled grass from our lawn. He will eat a bit of readigrass daily. Hes eating dill. Wont touch any other herbs. He will eat a bit of veg but not the same every day!! He enjoys his dandilion salad which I have tried mixing with pellets, he picks it out!

Hes currently sat eating a twig from the budliea(?) butterfly bush .

He is drinking enough and weeing. His poo is the right colour and consistency but I feel a little on the small side. If I give him too many green veg we get a darker more clumpy poo so I avoid doing that.

So is he playing me like a fiddle? Am I being over protective? Does he really need pellets or am I forcing something he doesnt need.

Hes never been a sociable bun so hes his usual grumpy self.

thank you x
dear madcap woman,-here is my favorite link to sanity http://www.medirabbit.com there is a wealth of info here,sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Rabbits with renal problems often go off dried foods. Will he eat a pellet 'mash'- pellets soaked in boiled water and mashed up ?

Are you weighing him a couple of times a week ? In cases of CRF it is important to monitor the Bunny's weight as CRF can mean that they are unable to maintain their weight.

As Omi mentioned, syringe feeds may be needed. But if the Bunny is very stressed and hands off it can be the case the the stress of lots of syringe feeds is counterproductive if it were to be needed on a long term basis

This thread may be useful to read

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?477891-Urine-Test-Update-back-vets-with-Rudey

Plus some additional info here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/kidney-failure-

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. Im going to attempt to weigh wriggle rabbit tomorrow:lol:

He will eat the dandilion salad which includes lots of little seeds.

Decided to try and weigh him tonight. He was so good just sat in a washing up bowl. At the vets he was 2.4kg.
at home on a wobbly dial he is between 2.3 and 2.4. It just over 2 weeks since he was weighed at the vets so I feel quite happy with that.

AND....hes eaten a bit of warm pellet mash!!! Thanks Jane x

We are currently without a boiler so only have the fire in the lounge for heat. He is in the lounge but at the far end, although free range he hasnt ventured nearer. He still cuddles the radiator, he aint the sharpest bun:lol:

If it snows and we cant get to the lawn the neighbours will think Ive totally flipped when they catch me digging for grass!

Thank you Rudeys mum too x

Decided to try and weigh him tonight. He was so good just sat in a washing up bowl. At the vets he was 2.4kg.
at home on a wobbly dial he is between 2.3 and 2.4. It just over 2 weeks since he was weighed at the vets so I feel quite happy with that.

AND....hes eaten a bit of warm pellet mash!!! Thanks Jane x

We are currently without a boiler so only have the fire in the lounge for heat. He is in the lounge but at the far end, although free range he hasnt ventured nearer. He still cuddles the radiator, he aint the sharpest bun:lol:

If it snows and we cant get to the lawn the neighbours will think Ive totally flipped when they catch me digging for grass!

Thank you Rudeys mum too x

I would be too. Pleased he is eating mush now
Bless him not cottoning on about the fire :lol:

Back