• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heidi not eating

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
My mini rex did not eat her evening pellets. Heidi usually runs for her pellets. At 8pm she got a teaspoon of pellets, yet she did not eat any and it is 1am.
At 11:30pm I cleaned her litterbox and within 10 minutes she made 12 fresh poos. Poos normal size yet slightly harder than usual. She drank slightly less water since morning too.
She has been shedding this past week and I groomed her often to remove loose fur (lot on friday).
I gave fluids and medicam. I think her gut is slow so deciding if I should add motility meds like she got last time she was shedding and she had same symptoms.
We could use some vibes.

Shortly after I sent this posting, I checked on Heidi and she made 10 almost normal sized, very hard poos. I also saw she was eating a few pellets, though she still did not touch her 1/2 fibafirst stick (unlike Heidi).
I removed the poos and threw them out in another room before returning to see she made about 30 more poos. Most of these new poos were very small, thin, irregular shaped, extremely hard, along with about 5 normal/not hard poos. I was glad to see she passed these, yet concerned she had so many small/irregular poos now. She tolerated metoclopramide well I May, so I decided to give her a dose so she will continue to move things along. She also made me some fresh pee so I was glad to see her hydration has improved.
It is now 2am so I am hoping she will eat her hay overnight and she will give me a big pile of poos and come running for her breakfast.

Thank you to all our RU friends. Your good thoughts and vibes are helping Heidi, and also me. It is nice to have friends who understand how serious it can be when a bunny stops eating and/or making normal poos.
I do not want to jinx her, yet she made a lot of poo overnight-lots more than usual so I suspect she was not passing it as quickly as she was producing it since she began shedding. About half were smaller and harder than usual, rest were normal size, yet still a bit hard. She even passed a poo coated piece of fur that was the size of a normal poo so I now feel better about giving her the motility drug.
Even with Sub Q fluids she drank water overnight; and this morning she ran for the few pellets my spouse gave her before leaving for work. She did not waste time on making them disappear and was begging for more. This is when I realized she did not act as enthusiastic yesterday morning so I probably should have noticed then.
Today I will give her more fluids, medicam and motility drugs and hope her gut can keep moving at a normal pace. Some keep eating/drinking/weeing/pooping vibes would be appreciated.
It is also a mystery why she decided to shed her coat last week when we had some of our coldest weather this winter. I hope her and Raven's shedding means that warmer weather will soon be here (wishful thinking).

Poor Heidi, I hope she's fully back to normal.

It's good that she's passing poos, albeit oddly shaped ones. So it sounds like you've caught the gut slowdown very quickly.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thank you to all our RU friends. Your good thoughts and vibes are helping Heidi, and also me. It is nice to have friends who understand how serious it can be when a bunny stops eating and/or making normal poos.
I do not want to jinx her, yet she made a lot of poo overnight-lots more than usual so I suspect she was not passing it as quickly as she was producing it since she began shedding. About half were smaller and harder than usual, rest were normal size, yet still a bit hard. She even passed a poo coated piece of fur that was the size of a normal poo so I now feel better about giving her the motility drug.
Even with Sub Q fluids she drank water overnight; and this morning she ran for the few pellets my spouse gave her before leaving for work. She did not waste time on making them disappear and was begging for more. This is when I realized she did not act as enthusiastic yesterday morning so I probably should have noticed then.
Today I will give her more fluids, medicam and motility drugs and hope her gut can keep moving at a normal pace. Some keep eating/drinking/weeing/pooping vibes would be appreciated.
It is also a mystery why she decided to shed her coat last week when we had some of our coldest weather this winter. I hope her and Raven's shedding means that warmer weather will soon be here (wishful thinking).
dear bunnymomma,-sending lots of love vibs,for Heidi:love:,-lots of questions here,first read through some of the data on these two links,- http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html the mystery of rabbit poop and http://www.medirabbit.com these two are my favorite.lots of info.sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:wave::love:

Thank you for the good wishes and for the information.
Tuesday morning Heidi was acting normally and eating her pellets, then Tuesday night she was being fussy again until a couple hours after I gave her Medicam. I gave her a second dose of motility med overnight and Wednesday norming she was back to being herself and devouring the few pellets she gets right away and her poos were close to normal. She also ate her evening pellets and came begging for a piece of Selective Naturals Garden Stick when she saw me taking one out of the package to share with her friends.
She is still shedding so I am thinking of keeping ahead of another slowdown by giving her on some extra fluids and a maintenance dose of motility meds before bedtime.
The people on RU are wonderful and me and I sometimes read the posts to my bunnies to let them know they have friends on RU too.

Thank you for the good wishes and for the information.
Tuesday morning Heidi was acting normally and eating her pellets, then Tuesday night she was being fussy again until a couple hours after I gave her Medicam. I gave her a second dose of motility med overnight and Wednesday norming she was back to being herself and devouring the few pellets she gets right away and her poos were close to normal. She also ate her evening pellets and came begging for a piece of Selective Naturals Garden Stick when she saw me taking one out of the package to share with her friends.
She is still shedding so I am thinking of keeping ahead of another slowdown by giving her on some extra fluids and a maintenance dose of motility meds before bedtime.
The people on RU are wonderful and me and I sometimes read the posts to my bunnies to let them know they have friends on RU too.

I really hope that Heidi continues to improve. Is she due a Vet check soon to see if her Vet can ascertain a primary cause of her current GI tract issues ? I am asking as IME moulting/shedding is not often a primary cause of reduced gut motility, fur ingestion only becomes an issue if the GI tract motility is already not 100% for some other reason. Anyway, I am sure you have it all in hand :) Topping up the vibes for Heidi xx

Pleased she's doing well. It's great to have pain relief and gut mobility medicine on hand. Bunnies are such a worry.

I really hope that Heidi continues to improve. Is she due a Vet check soon to see if her Vet can ascertain a primary cause of her current GI tract issues ? I am asking as IME moulting/shedding is not often a primary cause of reduced gut motility, fur ingestion only becomes an issue if the GI tract motility is already not 100% for some other reason. Anyway, I am sure you have it all in hand :) Topping up the vibes for Heidi xx

Thanks Jane. I noticed that she was drinking less water right before this began, so I wonder if that caused slow down; yet wonder why not drinking lots of water like she normally does.
She also may be stressed by contractors who are making needed repairs and updates.

Thanks Jane. I noticed that she was drinking less water right before this began, so I wonder if that caused slow down; yet wonder why not drinking lots of water like she normally does.
She also may be stressed by contractors who are making needed repairs and updates.

That could certainly lead to gut slow down. Do you give her tap water or bottled ?

That could certainly lead to gut slow down. Do you give her tap water or bottled ?

Tap water. Water usually good in winter. In warm weather water can somtimes taste different due to use of more chemicals used.

Today Raven has same issue Heidi had couple days ago. He is my dental bunny and was off meds 4 weeks (his dental was January 14). Restarting meds.
Asking for vibes for Raven.

Back