• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit has messy bum

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
I have a rabbit who keeps on getting clumps of poo stuck to his bum. This is becoming more and more often that I have to remove the clumps of poo off of him (by pulling it out)!
I was just wondering whether this is a food problem and whether changing the food may make it less likely to clump? Or whether anyone has any tips on how to prevent it!
Worried about fly strike etc in summer :(

The messy bum is likely to be uneaten caecotrophes. There are a number of reasons why your bunny might not eat them causing them to sit on them & soil their fur. The first thing to consider is rabbits who have a diet too high in carbs might not eat their cecos, so its more common in bunnies fed a lot of pellets (an egg cup full is generally recommended). An overweight or arthritic bun can also struggle to reach them, or they can be rejected when on meds etc. I your rabbit the right weight, are they mobile & whats their daily diet?

I think we probably give him too many pellets. We make sure they have hay at all times and we do give them veg (however i reduced this thinking it was causing him diarrhoea, which is causing it to stick into his fur)
What’s the best veg to give? They love kale but I’m aware it can cause gas so limit this. Limit carrots also.
Thanks so much :)

I think we probably give him too many pellets. We make sure they have hay at all times and we do give them veg (however i reduced this thinking it was causing him diarrhoea, which is causing it to stick into his fur)
What’s the best veg to give? They love kale but I’m aware it can cause gas so limit this. Limit carrots also.

Romaine lettuce, spring greens, basil, tarragon and other herbs, as well as limited amounts of spinach, kale, parsley, celery are great vegetables to given. Carrots are very high in sugar and don’t have many nutritional benefits so I’d avoid them other than in very small amounts.

As for what you said about Flystrike, my previous rabbit got this twice as a result of a dirty bum (caused by being overweight and too many pellets). When she lost weight and we adjusted her diet this helped a lot. But I would still worry about Flystrike as flies are relentless in the summer. One of many reasons I’d only ever house rabbits indoors now.

Are you able to forage for wild foods such as Dandelions and Plantain? Blackberry leaves are very good and most rabbits don't mind the prickles. Hand cut grass is usually popular. Also tree leaves and sticks from trees, which are safe for rabbits are also beneficial for rabbits' tummies.

In winter I stick to leafy greens & herbs (fresh & dried forage too). Spinach is high in oxalates so I avoid that. As Omi said foraging is a fun & excellent way to give your bunnies nutritious food - much more fun come Spring I might add. I'd gradually cut down on pellets & make sure they are eating enough hay - you should be able to assess this by their poo & general body condition

My rabbits get about 1.5 tbsps. pellets, a small amount of Spring Greens and lots of hay. Kale and Parsley are high in Calcium so only small amounts of these. I also give mine dark green Cabbage and tiny bits of Cauliflower and Brocolli. Herbs are very good too.

Amazing. Thank you all :)

Is there a list of safe vegetables anywhere so I know what to gradually introduce?

Back