Thread: Best Hay Rack for Low Waste of Hay?

Mama Doe

Default Best Hay Rack for Low Waste of Hay?

Sorry if I possibly made a thread similar to this in the past, I'm not sure!

Can anyone recommend a good hay rack for less hay waste and general mess? Hamilton likes to aggressively dig the hay out when he eats it, but then also goes for a pee all over it, on the lino of the shed floor. My compost bin is overflowing with hay, from all of the waste that can't be eaten because it's covered in wee. I imagine that this isn't totally avoidable, but wondering if some hay racks are better for keeping waste at a minimum?

I’ve got a couple of baskets, as seen on this thread here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...kea+hay+basket they work really well hardly any waste but any that does get wasted is mostly contained in their litter trays

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

I use these https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-ha...helf/p/0435938

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post
    Sorry if I possibly made a thread similar to this in the past, I'm not sure!

Can anyone recommend a good hay rack for less hay waste and general mess? Hamilton likes to aggressively dig the hay out when he eats it, but then also goes for a pee all over it, on the lino of the shed floor. My compost bin is overflowing with hay, from all of the waste that can't be eaten because it's covered in wee. I imagine that this isn't totally avoidable, but wondering if some hay racks are better for keeping waste at a minimum?
    dear beeapig,-I was at a hardware store[decade ago]-found rolled up fence/border for a flower garden-hieighth about 30 cm,spacing between wires about 5cm,-so I cut it to length and attatched it to their wall,-makes for a perfect hay bin-off the floor,accessible,lots of access to grasses-best of all no pee/pee--I even posted a wire fence opposite the poop box for eating grasses an doing their thing-gotta be creative--they demand it..--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Mama Doe

Thank you for the advice everyone, I'm going to look into all of these options <3

i use a window box with chicken wire to stop excess falling out from the top (although SOME remaining-nameless bunnies like to run across it!). It's on hooks in the playhouse wall, with wire 'straps so I can un-hook it and fill it up without totally removing it.

Window box as-bought (coir still tied in) before adding copper wire straps; also old litter tray (I now use underbed storage box in this position, at 90 to the window box):

Window box with straps but no chicken wire:

Some reasons i put chicken wire on top (so the little darling didn't get stuck in it!):

Aboleth demonstrating to Lopsy how to climb on top of the rack She was such a bad influence

We also have a hanging rack but that can be messier. Chibbs doesn't like using it but everybun else has been fine (Chibbs is littler though so it's more of a stretch!), although Lopsy has tried to get into it a few times . This is an early photo so I've actually pulled the hay through so they know what to do :

The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.