• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toys, mental stimulation ideas for disabled bun?

k1984

Mama Doe
Hi, as you all know, Pete is now an indoor bunny due to his disability. He's very interesting in things around him and full of beans...just his movement on his hind legs is wobbly. I chop up his hay to avoid him getting his feet tangled etc. However, I think having gone from a shed/run to an indoor pen (which is much smaller in floor space) I am afraid of him getting bored. Buttons (his partner) is also looking very fed up :lol: I have to be careful with what I put in there for them as Pete can't do levels, or anything he could get tangled in (so willow balls are a no-no as he could chew them and get tangled up when Im out at work etc).

Does anyone have suggestions/ideas/links to toys for mental stimulation, that would be safe for him?

Thanks x

I've recently rediscovered this nasty nylon tunnel in the bunny store cupboard. I put it out for my downstairs disabled & doddery buns who don't show much interest in anything & they love it (slightly peeved about that as they live in my lounge & its not the prettiest)

XirWQrJm.jpg

If you could get fresh willow or other forage & weave at appropriate heights around the enclosure bars. Treat ball might work or a sack-a-roo.

I shall follow this thread as I could do with ideas myself

I've recently rediscovered this nasty nylon tunnel in the bunny store cupboard. I put it out for my downstairs disabled & doddery buns who don't show much interest in anything & they love it (slightly peeved about that as they live in my lounge & its not the prettiest)

XirWQrJm.jpg
[/IMG]

If you could get fresh willow or other forage & weave at appropriate heights around the enclosure bars. Treat ball might work or a sack-a-roo.

I shall follow this thread as I could do with ideas myself

I love the suggestions of weaving willow and forage at a raised level (just high enough for him to reach without having to stand on his back legs...which he still can do, but very briefly and with a wobble!), and the sack-a-roo. :thumb: Thank you! x

Hi! Just regarding the nylon tubes - they’re a great idea but not if your bunnies are chewers as ingesting nylon is very dangerous obviously so be careful. Willow tunnels are an alternative, as well as other toys including roller toys, sisal boards, baby stacking cups, apple sticks (can be bought online), hay cubes, as well as a variety of toys which can be made from cardboard tubes (stuff with hay or fold them and put treats inside for them to get to). Cardboard in general is a great cheap toy to dig and nibble on but be careful they don’t eat too much as it has been known to slow down their GI tract if too much is eaten (about one cardboard tube a day is said to be recommended). There are lots of other toys for indoor bunnies - manor pet housing offer some great ones although they can be expensive so definitely do your research and I’m sure you’ll find lots of alternatives!

I’ve just made some of these for Phillip and the girls.

e88f5ba498b407862cb56a69202b4526.jpg

Phillip is enjoying throwing it around and eating the sticks at the minute but going to stuff them with hay/small treats when the novelty wears off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve just made some of these for Phillip and the girls.

e88f5ba498b407862cb56a69202b4526.jpg

Phillip is enjoying throwing it around and eating the sticks at the minute but going to stuff them with hay/small treats when the novelty wears off!
I was going to suggest some form of cardboard tube :D Small boxes work similarly too: I've got a few that came with small packs of greetings cards in and they're great for throwing! Quite flat too so hopefully wouldn't pose a trip hazard.

It is so nice your adorable bunnies are enjoying the toys you created. You included lots of different treats too. :love:

Brilliant :D We've all been through those moments where we spend a couple of hours making amazing toys and they ignore them, so it's great to see them enjoying your hard work!

Back