• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Signs of ageing

Jemima

Alpha Buck
Do rabbits go grey? My 10+ year old definitely appears to be fading around her back end and is almost white around her tail. I’ve had a few rabbits who have reached 9 but none in double figures and I’ve never seen this before.

091637a02bb7fc70f0fd988ebcc00fcb.file
b270639cd64377fb0d1f4a6820a5de88.file

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh bless her, a bit like me ! :D I've not had a bunny that old either, so not sure. I'm sure there will be plenty of others who have, who can answer your question. She looks good though :love:

Do rabbits go grey? My 10+ year old definitely appears to be fading around her back end and is almost white around her tail. I’ve had a few rabbits who have reached 9 but none in double figures and I’ve never seen this before.

091637a02bb7fc70f0fd988ebcc00fcb.file
b270639cd64377fb0d1f4a6820a5de88.file

My mini lop stayed her orange colour, she was white underneath already though, she didn't really change tbh. I'll be interested to see what other people report :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I dont think the fur colour changes, but how it grows does. The undercoat can become thicker hence your Agouti Dutch marked Bunny looks to be going grey around his bum. His undercoat is longer in that area. Also, from the photo it looks as though he has some age related loss of muscle mass over his rear. This can make the bum feel boney and the fur seem to be thicker xx

Thank you Jane, that’s makes sense.

Holly was kept in a 3 foot cage for at least 3 years so has always had some muscle reduction, not that it stops her being first to the food bowl.

She’s the only one I didn’t take out vaccs4life for as I didn’t think she would have a long life. She’s managed to prove me wrong luckily.

Lopsy has changes: his white patches have moved, evolved I suppose! He also gets his 'summer ombré' in the nape of his neck where his fur goes ginger at the tips in Spring! Although he's kept that all winter this year...

Back