• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introduction and questions

Ellieanna

New Kit
Hi I’m Ellie and my rabbits are blu and clover, I had my rabbits outside in a large run and hutch which we made but I recently decided I wanted to bring my rabbits inside as the weather is bad (UK) and they free roam one room and my male rabbit (Blu) has been showing hormonal behaviours even though both rabbits are spayed and nutered, he chases her around in circles and mounts her I’m thinking they think it’s spring as I brought them into the warmth I’m scared it might turn into fighting. Blu makes grunting noises but doesn’t hurt clover just annoys her how can I stop this and does anyone know why this might be happening? Thank you

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: I’ve moved this to behaviour and bonding for you :thumb: how long ago were they spayed and neutered?

It’s not left over hormones then! I was thinking if it was very recent that might have been an issue. It’s most probably because of the change in territory, it can often stress a bond and cause this sort of behaviour. It will most probably stop once they are back in their usual territory. I would keep an eye on them just in case.

Hi! It sounds like the male is re-asserting his dominance due to being moved to a new area. It should settle down soon.

Hi! It sounds like the male is re-asserting his dominance due to being moved to a new area. It should settle down soon.

I agree with this. New area equals new dynamic as far as territorial behaviour goes.

I would also be careful about moving your rabbits between outdoors and indoors, particularly when the temperature difference is so great atm, as rabbits cannot regulate their temperatures very well and so don't adapt to change very easily.

Thanks everyone how long should it take for him to stop trying to be dominant? It was the storm so I brought them it but won’t be putting them back out till summer now because of body temp regulations ect thanks for the reply’s! :)

Thanks everyone how long should it take for him to stop trying to be dominant? It was the storm so I brought them it but won’t be putting them back out till summer now because of body temp regulations ect thanks for the reply’s! :)

It would be impossible to predict accurately, but I wouldn't have thought it would take very long.

Back