• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Helping build a humane habitat for non-pet rabbits

WARNING: LONG POST, but I really, really need help!
So I started working on a farm/school about a week ago and going in I knew I would be able to help them with their chickens, which I know a lot about. What I DON'T know a lot about it rabbits, but even knowing little I had the feeling their care wasn't the best. Doing a bit of research led me to realize how cruddy their living quarters were. These rabbits are 5 years old and have lived this way their whole lives. There are 3 females and 2 males and none are spayed/neutered. The females all seem to get along well, but the males were fighting when they were together with the females (which you can read more about that debacle in another one of my posts). They were seperated by gender again and the males don't appear to be fighting anymore. What I'm working with right now is 4 raised wire cages (that are rusting out) under a slanted tin roof. I do have limited materials and may be able to aquire new ones if the cost is cheap. I have a lot of scrap boards at the moment so I may be able to build some actual sleeping quarters for them. What I'm thinking would be best is to do away with the cages, since they are too small anyway and build off of the wooden base that the cages are attached to, which is pretty sturdy. The measurements of the base are 6 1/2 ft front poles, 5 1/2 ft back poles, 3 ft width and 9 ft length. Right now the cages they are in are 2 1/2 ft (L) x 2 ft (w) x 1.5 ft (h.) Maybe I can put wire mesh around the whole area, which would extent the size a bit, and separate the males and females into 2 4.5 x 3 cages and build a back add-on with wood for sleeping quarters. I know this is still not enough room for them, but it would be an improvement. I thought about having the hutches be on top with a ladder and wire on the bottom, but I don't think they will be high enough off the ground then. Another thing is they still have no exercise area, and I could maybe rig up a run but I run into the issue that the main reason these rabbits are kept here is to collect compost. If they are running around happily eating grass in a run, they won't be pooping where it's easy to collect. So I'm basically trying to theorize a way I could make these rabbits have even a minimally humane dwelling at as low cost as possible (I might be able to get a budget out of the admin when we talk again later) and a system where it's easy to collect the waste. It needs to be pretty easy to manage and idiot-proof because there are new students coming in every month that get put in charge of these animals.

Here is the base I'm working with. If you are wondering why they are all smushed into opposite sides it's because I have no idea how they should be separated at the moment but as there are 4 cages and 5 rabbits and I also only have 2 waterers. I don't know if there should be a female directly next to the males or not. In short, I have no idea what I'm doing please help ;_;
https://ibb.co/G5XNfS8
https://ibb.co/d2xmz5M

WARNING: LONG POST, but I really, really need help!
So I started working on a farm/school about a week ago and going in I knew I would be able to help them with their chickens, which I know a lot about. What I DON'T know a lot about it rabbits, but even knowing little I had the feeling their care wasn't the best. Doing a bit of research led me to realize how cruddy their living quarters were. These rabbits are 5 years old and have lived this way their whole lives. There are 3 females and 2 males and none are spayed/neutered. The females all seem to get along well, but the males were fighting when they were together with the females (which you can read more about that debacle in another one of my posts). They were seperated by gender again and the males don't appear to be fighting anymore. What I'm working with right now is 4 raised wire cages (that are rusting out) under a slanted tin roof. I do have limited materials and may be able to aquire new ones if the cost is cheap. I have a lot of scrap boards at the moment so I may be able to build some actual sleeping quarters for them. What I'm thinking would be best is to do away with the cages, since they are too small anyway and build off of the wooden base that the cages are attached to, which is pretty sturdy. The measurements of the base are 6 1/2 ft front poles, 5 1/2 ft back poles, 3 ft width and 9 ft length. Right now the cages they are in are 2 1/2 ft (L) x 2 ft (w) x 1.5 ft (h.) Maybe I can put wire mesh around the whole area, which would extent the size a bit, and separate the males and females into 2 4.5 x 3 cages and build a back add-on with wood for sleeping quarters. I know this is still not enough room for them, but it would be an improvement. I thought about having the hutches be on top with a ladder and wire on the bottom, but I don't think they will be high enough off the ground then. Another thing is they still have no exercise area, and I could maybe rig up a run but I run into the issue that the main reason these rabbits are kept here is to collect compost. If they are running around happily eating grass in a run, they won't be pooping where it's easy to collect. So I'm basically trying to theorize a way I could make these rabbits have even a minimally humane dwelling at as low cost as possible (I might be able to get a budget out of the admin when we talk again later) and a system where it's easy to collect the waste. It needs to be pretty easy to manage and idiot-proof because there are new students coming in every month that get put in charge of these animals.

Here is the base I'm working with. If you are wondering why they are all smushed into opposite sides it's because I have no idea how they should be separated at the moment but as there are 4 cages and 5 rabbits and I also only have 2 waterers. I don't know if there should be a female directly next to the males or not. In short, I have no idea what I'm doing please help ;_;
https://ibb.co/G5XNfS8
https://ibb.co/d2xmz5M
Omg.. Do they just live in those wire cages? That's all they have?

This is heartbreaking

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

This is heartbreaking

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Is this farm/school in the UK? If so, in my view the kindest thing you could do for these rabbits is to contact the RSPCA. Their accommodation is frankly unacceptable. I accept that you wish to help them, but with limited resources I'm not sure that you can in any meaningful way.

I'm also struggling to understand the reason why they are there at all. The compost they provide will be minimal. Plus there is no way that students are being taught any animal management skills by exposing them to animals kept in these conditions.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but these animals need to be cared for properly.

ETA I've just seen your update on your other post where you say you are in the US. I would contact an animal welfare charity if I were you, but I can understand that to do so might be difficult in your position as an employee.

Last edited:
Is this farm/school in the UK? If so, in my view the kindest thing you could do for these rabbits is to contact the RSPCA. Their accommodation is frankly unacceptable. I accept that you wish to help them, but with limited resources I'm not sure that you can in any meaningful way.

I'm also struggling to understand the reason why they are there at all. The compost they provide will be minimal. Plus there is no way that students are being taught any animal management skills by exposing them to animals kept in these conditions.

I think they're in the US.

I agree though completely. I think you need to call an organisation and maybe show them the images, it really is a dire situation :(

Given how terrible I've learned their dwelling is (even meat rabbits seem to be afforded more luxury) I will try to advise that he plans to completely revamp their living quarters for the rest of their limited years or try to find new homes for them. The chicken setup here is much better and I can afford them so much more knowledge that I will try to convince them that focusing on that manure is the way to go. One of his point for keeping them was that when kids come they like to see the cute bunny rabbits... I agree that exposing children and even adults without knowledge to this abuse is NOT ok and teaching the wrong message.

Given how terrible I've learned their dwelling is (even meat rabbits seem to be afforded more luxury) I will try to advise that he plans to completely revamp their living quarters for the rest of their limited years or try to find new homes for them. The chicken setup here is much better and I can afford them so much more knowledge that I will try to convince them that focusing on that manure is the way to go. One of his point for keeping them was that when kids come they like to see the cute bunny rabbits... I agree that exposing children and even adults without knowledge to this abuse is NOT ok and teaching the wrong message.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I was just a bit shocked/horrified at the images [emoji21]

Just to say, if they're 5 years old, they could have another 5 years left.. So not necessarily a limited time left.

Is there any animal charities you could contact? I don't think relying on the owner to change their living conditions is great, considering he thinks, how it is currently is okay [emoji21]

Honestly, if I was taking a kid somewhere and saw animals in those conditions I'd be leaving and calling an animal abuse charity.. [emoji51]

I'm so glad you posted though and I really hope you can help those poor buns. They're lucky someone came across them that cares so much.

This is heartbreaking

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

ETA I've just seen your update on your other post where you say you are in the US. I would contact an animal welfare charity if I were you, but I can understand that to do so might be difficult in your position as an employee.

I completely agree with this. Please report them to a local animal welfare charity/organisation who is able to step in as their living conditions are quite frankly awful and completely in humane. As great as your intentions are in making them a new living area, unfortunately your impact is likely only going to be minimal with the equipment and resources you have. Not to mention that all of these rabbits need spaying and neutering for a better quality of life, as well as the fact that if the female’s are already 5 years old then their chance of having uterine cancer, which is fatal, is over 80%. Please listen to the advice offered and report these rabbits as that is their only chance at a somewhat decent quality of life.

I haven't had good luck with reporting animal abuse (cat) before and receiving responses, and it is very difficult to re-home animals in this area. I will try, but I'm not sure what to do if I try to reach out and receive no responses. I have no problem with raising animals for farm purposes, as I've raised and slaughtered chickens before, but the animals should have fulfilling lives that let them practice their natural instincts. I would never keep a chicken in a wire cages like that except for short term transport or emergency isolation. I found out they let the old hens they had here out into the forest because they didn't want to bother slaughtering or rehoming them. I would MUCH rather put down a (domestic) animal humanely than leave it to a fate of slow death or abuse. I want to educate and help people if they are going to continue with raising animals.

I realise you have come on here for advice & credit to you :thumb: but oh my :( I wish i'd never clicked on the images

I realise you have come on here for advice & credit to you :thumb: but oh my :( I wish i'd never clicked on the images

Yes, me too :(

I just can't imagine how any responsible person could consider it OK, even if they had no experience of rabbits (or any other animal for that matter). It's also horrible to think of the hens set free in the forest :(

I really hope that something can be sorted out for these animals.

Back